Compact 4x4 SUVs for 2011

haven

Expedition Leader
In 2011, a few manufacturers still make compact to midsize body-on-frame SUVs.

-- Toyota 4Runner Trail $36K
add ~$4K for KDSS

-- Toyota FJ Cruiser Off Road package $33K estimate

--Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon $33K

-- Nissan XTerra Pro-4X $30K

-- Nissan Pathfinder SV $34K

-- Nissan Pathfinder LE V8 $43K

-- Land Rover LR4 $47K

-- Lexus GX 460 $52K
KDSS is standard equipment, air suspension optional

-- Mercedes G550 $104K

These are the manufacturers' designated off-road models.
All include 4x4, tires with aggressive tread, shocks tuned for
off-road use, transfer case with low range, locking rear
differential, some underbody protection, and assorted
traction aids.

The Pathfinder LE V8, LR4 and G550 have V8 engines. Others use V6.

All but the Jeep and G550 have independent front suspension.

The Jeep Rubicon adds a locking front differential, more
aggressive taller tires and automatic sway bar disconnects
to improve off-road performance.

The G550 adds locking front differential.

The Jeep Liberty is a compact SUV with a unit body that has
extra stiffening added. Add Selec-Trac II and extra underbody
protection, and the price is about $27K.

Also worth mention is the Suzuki Grand Vitara, which can be
purchased with 4x4 and low range. The vehicle has a unit body
with extra stiffening added to the chassis. Price is about $26K.

As federal fuel economy standards rise, manufacturers will
increasingly turn to lighter, more fuel efficient designs. None of
the above models sells in large numbers. Wrangler is most
popular, with about 7000 vehicles sold per month. The others
are half that, or less.

dzzz

LR4 didn't make your list?

The Range Rover is unibody, what's the LR4?

I believe the Pathfinder is unibody.
At the same weight a unibody vehicle is stronger and stiffer than a body on frame design. The top of the list for small 4x4 for travel should be vehicles like the Forester and the CR-V. Vehicles that are good to build up for rock crawling don't have much to do with travel.

Last edited:
I wonder about the frame vs unibody debate. I noticed recently changing shocks on my Frontier that the doors wouldn't shut while it was jacked up. Now just last week working on my Forester with it jacked up all the doors worked like normal. Both vehicles were jacked up by their factory jacks in the recommended locations.

Of course even with new shocks and tires the Frontier still handles like a lumber wagon compared to the Forester.

wesel123

Explorer
The Range Rover is unibody, what's the LR4?

I believe the Pathfinder is unibody.
At the same weight a unibody vehicle is stronger and stiffer than a body on frame design. The top of the list for small 4x4 for travel should be vehicles like the Forester and the CR-V. Vehicles that are good to build up for rock crawling don't have much to do with travel.

Pathy's are not unibody anymore. Not sure when this body style came out but it is again body in frame. I think it was 98's to 03's??? that were unibody.

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for mentioning the Land Rover LR4. I'll update the list.

The current Pathfinder built in USA uses Nissan's F-Alpha body on frame construction. The Frontier, Titan, XTerra, and Pathfinder all use variants of this design. I believe Pathfinders built in Spain and exported to other world markets use this design. Nissan no longer makes the Pathfinder in Japan.

ratkin

Adventurer
Suzuki Grand Vitara - Article from The Auto Channel

"For ruggedness and towing ability, the newest Grand Vitara still has body-on-frame construction -- kind of. As in some high-priced SUVs, a ladder frame is integrated into an upper unibody structure." - The Auto Channel

I wonder about the frame vs unibody debate. I noticed recently changing shocks on my Frontier that the doors wouldn't shut while it was jacked up. Now just last week working on my Forester with it jacked up all the doors worked like normal. Both vehicles were jacked up by their factory jacks in the recommended locations.

I don't know anything about your Frontier, but if it's unibody, you have some flex there, or if it's a body-on-frame, then your frame is flexing. I would think that you have to build a frame given its shape with the minimum size box tubing, minimum thickness of the wall, and maybe even minimum hardness of the metal to make it about like a Ford frame. Is that right?

Stephanie

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Is body on frame so important? I would rather ask, given the modern trending of SUVs, which one has the most wheel travel, strong A arms, biggest (or room for bigger) tires. Can a "crossover" with 4 wheel independent have 33s, a sizable amount of shock travel, and still get better than 23mpg real world driving? ...for under 26 grand?

winkosmosis

Explorer

Of course even with new shocks and tires the Frontier still handles like a lumber wagon compared to the Forester.

I always assumed the body in a body/frame setup doesn't take any stress. Then I heard about the FJ Cruiser body cracking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online