Compare 1986 and 2016 Toyota pickups

lndhark

Adventurer
The extended cab Toyota was known as an "X-Tra Cab" not an Access Cab back in the day. But, the editors of Jalopnik probably we'rent even born yet when those trucks hit the market. There was no "front axle disconnect" until 1990.

Arktikos

Explorer
^ Right you are abut the X-Tra cab. The weight of the '86 seems low, doesn't it? Also, MPG seems a bit low, compared to my '92 with the same engine and 200,000 miles on it.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
...the editors of Jalopnik probably we'rent even born yet when those trucks hit the market...

Maybe so, but if you'd read the article the graphic was done by 'Spork Marketing'.

Inevitably when an article on Jalopnik (or subsite TruckYeah in this case) gets something wrong the knowledgeable commentators come out of the woodwork with the correct details (just like here) and the author will update the article.

I remember the X-tra Cabs well, a friend had a red 1992 that we flew to Detroit from Texas to take delivery of, lol. That was an interesting trip.

Last edited:

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
^ Right you are abut the X-Tra cab. The weight of the '86 seems low, doesn't it? Also, MPG seems a bit low, compared to my '92 with the same engine and 200,000 miles on it.

Weight is roughly correct, the older trucks/suv's are significantly lighter than the newer ones.

lndhark

Adventurer

Think those numbers mirror the EPA ratings that were on my '86 Standard Bed 4x4 (22R/M5) but then again, those are just the EPA estimates based a new (okay, "degreened") vehicle. Those numbers were also generated 30 years ago and the testing methods and calculations have changed a bit since then.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Its crazy that the 22RTE only had 135 HP, or something. I've got an 87 regular cab with that engine, and it is WAY faster than the Tacoma here on the hills of CO. To me, a better rating might be power/weight rather than HP and Torque. Then again, maybe not.

bkg

Explorer
Its crazy that the 22RTE only had 135 HP, or something. I've got an 87 regular cab with that engine, and it is WAY faster than the Tacoma here on the hills of CO. To me, a better rating might be power/weight rather than HP and Torque. Then again, maybe not.

22RTE was in that range, to your point. RE was in the 118 range. Never felt for want of power in any of my 22re's... in my newer trucks... different story.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Yea that has to do with it being a turbo. Doesn't make it a better truck

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

OSV

Adventurer
my '86 sas crawler, with dual cases and 37" tires, no spare, weighed 4,000 lbs. on the scale at the landfill.

2800 lbs. curb weight on that pickup seems a bit light to me.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Yea that has to do with it being a turbo. Doesn't make it a better truck

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Oh, I wasn't saying it was better. Just that the hp number surprised me at first. Then I realized that it's paper thin doors and cramped cab probably had a lot more to do with the speed. The hp number makes more sense when seen in that light, to me at least. That's all I was saying.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Oh, I wasn't saying it was better. Just that the hp number surprised me at first. Then I realized that it's paper thin doors and cramped cab probably had a lot more to do with the speed. The hp number makes more sense when seen in that light, to me at least. That's all I was saying.

I want both

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle