Comparing Discovery Sport and Subaru Outback

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
yep...figure 20 mpg average. 2 co-workers both report same. The 15 Suby is at 31 mpg ~. It is larger than the Highlander as well...the back seat is comfy (reclines!) for me at 6' and actually does seat 3 across.
Just because it's a yota...don't assume it's efficient.

The highlander's rear seats are as large and as comfortable as the outback, they also recline, and there a third row (that reclines). The cargo room is about 20% larger behind the second row than the outback. The new highlander gets ~20mpg in mixed driving, the outback is 24 MPG. It gets about 20% better economy and storage is about 20% smaller, seems about right.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/highlander

Lets see your truck on fuelly :sombrero:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Holy crap... I didn't believe you on the 40k price until I looked it up myself. MSRP for a 2015 Highlander with AWD starts at $38,900. 4Runner 4x4 pricing starts at $35,470. I wouldn't have expected that...

You get a 2015 Highlander XLE AWD v6, navi, leather, 5000lb towing, etc for ~$36k before taxes, which is pretty similar to equally equipped 4runner.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
That's a really good point that too few people calculate. I find the enjoyment factor of a 300hp motor (like in my Acura), plus the LOOONNNGGG payback period for a newer economy car just doesn't pencil out.

Ryan, did you test drive the Acura as discussed in the other thread? I'm not trying to save you money, but I can't help compare a $20k 2008/9 Acura MDX to a $40,000 2015 Highlander, and like the Acura more because of its features, design, and drive feel, then there's that twenty grand you might save for a nice adventure trailer.....

I did drive the MDX and I loved it. But the prices were $27-31K for a 2009-2012 with 35-70K miles (depending on packages). So it my case the price delta between $27-31K of the MDX vs $36K highlander was much smaller. I have not ruled out the MDX, the pluses are the excellent driving, roomy interior and outstanding features. The minuses are less than stellar JD Power quality ratings, 3-7 years of use vs new, and older safety equipment. I need to find a deal like yours :).

BillTex

Adventurer
The highlander's rear seats are as large and as comfortable as the outback, they also recline, and there a third row (that reclines). The cargo room is about 20% larger behind the second row than the outback. The new highlander gets ~20mpg in mixed driving, the outback is 24 MPG. It gets about 20% better economy and storage is about 20% smaller, seems about right.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/highlander

Lets see your truck on fuelly :sombrero:

4 cyl (apples2apples) from Edmunds...

Maximum cargo capacity
Yota
83.7 cu.ft.
Subie
73.3 cu.ft.

= 14%

Maximum towing capacity

Yota
1500 lbs.
Subie
2700 lbs.

At about 20% cost premium....

MSRP
Yota
$30,100
Subie
$25,745

Fuel Economy (city/hwy)
Yota
20/25 mpg
Subie
25/33 mpg

Better value, greater mpg, more tow capacity, longer range, better safety rating, std awd...put down the koolaid for a while and go do some test drives.
I know which one we would choose...oh wait...we did!

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Maximum cargo capacity
Yota
83.7 cu.ft.
Subie
73.3 cu.ft.

= 14%

Maximum towing capacity

Yota
1500 lbs.
Subie
2700 lbs.

At about 20% cost premium....

MSRP
Yota
$30,100
Subie
$25,745

Fuel Economy (city/hwy)
Yota
20/25 mpg
Subie
25/33 mpg

Better value, greater mpg, more tow capacity, longer range, better safety rating, std awd...put down the koolaid for a while and go do some test drives.

Just so its covered the Highlander is just a small Sienna with a spare tire. They are nice soccer mom wagons but as pointed out nothing ground breaking regarding ability or mileage. Several friends have current version Highlanders and they all have had some issues, repeated power window failures etc. I wouldnt consider the Highlander a stand out for anything, its a boxy Camry, nothing exciting and from what Ive seen nothing special regarding quality.

Its more square and taller than the OB which I have. Its not as nice riding as the OB and gets far less fuel economy. Not a single one of the parents I know with kids and a 3row Highlander use the 3rd row. Too difficult to use and too cramped.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

Your comparison is accurate for your chosen metrics. But, to me they don't really apply. I'll be getting the v6 AWD (90% of highlanders will be made with v6, 60% with AWD). Your cargo comparison is for behind the front seats, now do it for behind the second row, highlander is 20% larger.

The outback is sweet. Just trying to find the best for my needs.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Picture the VW Golf alltrac, with something like a 245/50x18 tire, TDI, 8-9" ground clearance (partially due to oversized tire, 45 mpg (if TDI), and maybe ~$38k new. Pretty cool. GLK, well, a bit prissy I think and I could not even begin to deal with that lack of space.

Hmm. My only concern is that we've already exited the era of efficient, long-running, high-mileage-to-maintnenace ratio diesels. Once I retire my 1.9 ALH I can't say I ever buy a modern diesel. Not sayin' I won't, but...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I did drive the MDX and I loved it. But the prices were $27-31K for a 2009-2012 with 35-70K miles (depending on packages). So it my case the price delta between $27-31K of the MDX vs $36K highlander was much smaller. I have not ruled out the MDX, the pluses are the excellent driving, roomy interior and outstanding features. The minuses are less than stellar JD Power quality ratings, 3-7 years of use vs new, and older safety equipment. I need to find a deal like yours :).

I didn't search long, I got mine the easiest way possible, CarMax :)
But there are deals out there. For example, here is a 2011 with the rear camera (display in the rear view mirror) for $22,500 http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/4996248466.html

I should probably state the obvious, I never buy "new" cars, I only buy used ones that have absorbed the bulk of their early depreciation. I bought my MDX with 75,000 miles on it, and it's the "youngest" car I've bought since 2004 when lightning struck and I bought the LR3, but even that was used, sorta. It was an LRNA test mule, with about 1,000 miles on it :) My point is, most modern vehicles are just hitting their stride around the 80,000-100,000 mile mark. Take care of the wearable parts and they will last a significantly long time. Even with 75,000 miles on it, the MDX feels and drives like new.

Here's another 2011 for $23k, with the Tech package. Looks really clean: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ctd/4963661541.html

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No, I think you misinterpret what some people, me anyway, mean in talking about vehicle size. For me it's more about proportion and what shape and volume of interior space do I get for the external footprint. Many of these smaller vehicles are kind of crap in terms of interior space to exterior footprint ratio with all their tapered roof-lines and sloped sides with bulging fenders.

Also, not everyone is talking about kids when they want interior space. These smaller crossovers require hauling cargo boxes on the roof in order to bring much along. Some people ski, mtn bike, etc and don't like to put these things out in the open on a vehicle in the elements, etc. Additionally, a small fuel efficient vehicle usually sucks with massive cargo boxes or bikes on top killing the fuel economy and handling in the process.

This is my break down I have three vehicles in our fleet its been that way since 2004. That and I have a fourth option in the driveway nearly every day.
2010 OB replaced a 2001 Legacy the daily family Mule and road trip machine
2007 Sequoia the bus replaced the 93 Land Cruiser driven daily by grandpa the kid shuttle operator
2001 jetta 1.8t wifes first car the beater rarely ever has more than one person in it.

Grandpas ride left at the house daily while hes the kid shuttle bus in the sequoia. 2005 SLK 350 17,150 miles on it as of this morning.

I use the beater vw for solo trips on the weekend tight parking being a big reason I like taking it.

My interest in the GLK250 BLUTECH is a replacement for the small vw. That and I've had lots of sucess finding low mileage premium brand vehicles the past few yrs at big discounts!!! I would rather have a low mileage single owner richie rich GLK for 20k than a beat to crap VW or Subaru for 20k ;-) So i see potential for tge GLK to be a good value if compact and rear seat space is not a deal breaker.

My rule for Subarus buy new be happy. Buy used, you end up with a very very very used Subaru with a high used car price. Not my idea of a good value.

The Sequoia is nice but given the choice Ill opt for the smaller car choice every time. Hell if I can fit my gear in the SLK 350 he'll yes its the SLK I'm going with. If I still had motorcycle privledges Id take the bike. Kids canceled my motorcycle fun.

Off pavement capability I would put the US spec GLK about even with the current cvt OB with xmode, they both more or less have the same limitations on soft low hanging fruit regarding hitting something hard on the trail. The 7spd system and engine in the GLK being better power and cooling than the cvt subaru. Not counting Space!!! Of course.

Last edited:

rlynch356

Defyota
i've seen an outback at uwharrie on the (easy) trails.. they didn't look like they were enjoying it much.. anything "interesting" and they were in a world of hurt.. the LR can get through it.. IMHO its more than the paper specs on anything that makes the difference. Improved Dirt roads and your fine i bet, except for any mud, water or the like. same can beside for most of the cars mentioned here already.

I'm not a fan of cross overs, and that includes the Evoke and the Disco Sport..

voodoojk

Adventurer
Just bought my 2012 3.6r limited outback last week. We love it so far. 1 kid..one on the way. Plenty of room. Great interior and all the bells and whistles I want. Paid $19k for it. It looks almost showroom new. I don't think anyone ever sat in the passenger seat. Not even a scuff in the door sills. Parked right next to a 2015 discovery..... Where I work... For Land Rover.:smiley_drive:

the new disco is nice and looks a lot better over the LR2 but everything is starting to look the same. RR, RRS, Disco,Evoque.. All look like smaller version of the next one. Not a bad thing I guess.

I also have a 1998 outback with 220k+ miles and every single function works ( heated mirrors, heated seats, defrosters etc etc) love these cars.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman