Complete CB noob needs help

LIVEanimals

Observer
I am looking to put a cb/pa system on my sub. I like the cobra cb's, as far as everything else I'm lost. What works well with what. I dont think I want one of the cobra mag antennas, I like firestik, etc. What about pa speakers? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Hello. Most antennas will work about the same, more important is how it's mounted and mounting location so choose wisely. Also make sure you check your SWR for match or if you know someone who can do this for you buy them a beer or two and get the best match you can get! That will usually do you a better job then the type of antenna.

As for PA speakers I usually just hop over to the local Radio Shack and pick up one of theirs. Biggest problem with CB PA's is they are very low power, mostly only a few watts so don't spend big bucks on one. If you don't mind replacing them from time to time or live someplace where they won't get to much bad weather I've used regular box speakers. They're usually cheap and will sound about the same as a regular PA speaker with the big horn. If you want to go big power you'll have to get one of the powerful amp's and speakers used on emergency vehicles. Will cost around $200 or so but you'll definitely be heard!!

Wyowanderer

Explorer
The place you mount your antenna has a bit to do with which kind you buy.
Walcott cb is a great place to buy components if you don't have a store locally. Try to stay out of the truck stops unless they have some who knows about CB radio, and beware of anyone who offers to "tune" your radio for more wattage. 4 watts is the legal limit.
When choosing a radio, pick one for the features you want. I wanted a little lighting, but not too much, and i had room for a full size case, so I bought a Cobra 29 LTD. Don't hesitate to buy a cheaper radio that has all the features you need, since they all have the same max. power.

LIVEanimals

Observer
Thanks for the responses y'all, I look forward to the install. Wyowanderer I too will be going with the LTD its got everything I'm looking for. I also plan on going with a 4' firestik II and one of their hood mounts. I also plan on buyin a SWR meter to dial it in. Thanks again you guys.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
Late to the party but I have also had great experience in ordering from Walcott. I currently have a 4' Firestik II on my Jeep and considering its small size it does very well.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
BTW- I bought a Hustler HQ-27 antenna to compensate for the camper on the truck: the Firestik and base loaded antennas (both great for the right application) weren't working for me, as I was unable to get the SWR under 7. Put on the Hustler, and it was under 2.
It just goes to show that you sometimes have to experiment and ask a lot of questions to get the best result.
One more thing-when buying a radio, ask yourself if you need lighting when it's dark. I didn't, and though my 29 LTD is just fine, night lighting would be very nice. Do lots of reading before you buy the Bluetooth geegaws.
Have fun.

WildBill

Observer
I bought a fender mount from Walcott CB after seeing the good reviews they are a great site for CB equipment! They even have full kits you can buy. I plan to buy the stainless antenna they offer that's 4' tall. I think it's called the hustler. I plan to purchase my CB from there too. One pay check at a time :)

Then I'll dip into the HAM game

Expedition Leader
BTW- I bought a Hustler HQ-27 antenna to compensate for the camper on the truck: the Firestik and base loaded antennas (both great for the right application) weren't working for me, as I was unable to get the SWR under 7. Put on the Hustler, and it was under 2.
It just goes to show that you sometimes have to experiment and ask a lot of questions to get the best result.

CB antenna manufacturers are not very good about advertising the wavelength of their antennas, and it can make a huge difference. Lots of cb antennas are 5/8-wave because they have more gain than others, but they need a good ground plane to tune-up with acceptable SWR and they don't always tell you that. If you're mounting it on your roof or hood, there is usually a plenty good ground plane there but if you're mounting it on a bumper, spare tire, or tailgate hinge there probably won't be. In those locations, a 1/2-wave antenna is a much better choice as they don't require a good ground plane. Even though they're not advertised that way, I have found from experience that the Firestik Firefly and the Wilson Flex antennas are 1/2-wave and will tune up in locations that 5/8-wave antennas will not.

LIVEanimals

Observer
One more thing-when buying a radio, ask yourself if you need lighting when it's dark. I didn't, and though my 29 LTD is just fine, night lighting would be very nice. Do lots of reading before you buy the Bluetooth geegaws.
Have fun.

Hmm, I'll have to consider maybe looking into one with some light, never know right. Thanks for your help Wyo.

One pay check at a time :)

Im right there with you on that, I have so many projects goin

CB antenna manufacturers are not very good about advertising the wavelength of their antennas, and it can make a huge difference. Lots of cb antennas are 5/8-wave because they have more gain than others, but they need a good ground plane to tune-up with acceptable SWR and they don't always tell you that. If you're mounting it on your roof or hood, there is usually a plenty good ground plane there but if you're mounting it on a bumper, spare tire, or tailgate hinge there probably won't be. In those locations, a 1/2-wave antenna is a much better choice as they don't require a good ground plane. Even though they're not advertised that way, I have found from experience that the Firestik Firefly and the Wilson Flex antennas are 1/2-wave and will tune up in locations that 5/8-wave antennas will not.

Lots of great info thanks 1911

WildBill

Observer
a693488f-d06d-52fd.jpg

Where I mounted mine. I had a fire stick on there but I got bored so I rattle canned my coil black and bolted it on the other night. It was originally red

ghutch

Observer
try google K0BG.COM a website for mobile radio installation....may be way more info than you want...it is designed for ham radio but antenna is an antenna. CB or Ham the antenna does not know any differance. for a close talking situations driving down the highway any mag mount antenna will work....should be able to get the SWR's below 1.50 or lower with a little experimenting with the set screws and adjusting the whip up or down.:sombrero: for highway talking up to a couple miles you should be fine.. if you are wanting to talk a little farther up to 5-15+ miles mobile to mobile and around 20-30+ miles mobile to base you'll need to get a radio with single side band or SSB. they cost more but do more, have a much better range. a mobile CB station can be a blast....i run a SSB mobile station and have made contacts into 40+ counties in the last year. the cb band like most all HF radio communication is condition based....good luck
one last thing....keep what ever antenna you buy out in the open...on top is best....i see many mounted next to the cab or on the rear bumpers...swr's will hard to get down mounted in close to metal. wilson mag mounts are a good cheap antennas check ebay or craigs list

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears