Completed: DIY Harbor Freight Micro-Trailer w/ Jeep Wheels

Rod_SATX

With our growing family, every trip has become more and more difficult to fit our gear into the back of the JK. After going over some options, roof rack, receiver basket, we decided that maybe a small trailer would fit our needs. Thankfully, there are quite a few build threads on this forum and others, that not only inspired us, but answered A LOT of questions.

First up, I needed a platform to begin with. I hit all the usual spots, finally coming across this little trailer on Craigslist, San Antonio.

I picked up the phone and gave the owner a call and we agreed to meet the same afternoon. $450 later, I was the new owner. Later that evening, after some research, I found out that it was indeed an older Harbor Freight trailer that has since been discontinued.

My first order of business was paint.

So I stopped in to my Local Home Depot and picked up a few cans of Rust-Oleum Universal All Surface Spray Paint, 400 and 800 grit sandpaper, and a bottle of denatured alcohol.

I had never done any sort of painting before, so after watching a few YouTube videos I gave it a go. First, using the alcohol to clear the metal of any contaminates, then using the sandpaper with water. After 3 rounds of that, I started painting.

I have to say, the end result was better then I expected. Not only did I not have any experience, but my confidence in a spray paint was very low. One thing I kept hearing was, "It's all in the prep work", and I have to agree,

Now that the paint was done, I turned my attention to the front of the trailer. I liked the tray, but was really wanting a basket. In my mind, a basket would be useful for firewood, trash, wet clothes, etc..

So I picked up some metal and headed over to the welder. While there, he welded together a metal frame for an awning. This frame is made out of 1" square tubing and slides securly into 2 existing 1 1/4" square tubing posts.

Welding was done, and now it was time to start accessorizing while I was still researching how exactly I was going to get the same wheels and tires I have on my 2014 JKUR, onto the trailer. A 4' Arb awning was added, as wells as a Worthington 11lb propane tank secured to the trailer with a Powertank mounting bracket. To secure the awning to the 1" square tubing I headed over to FourTreks.com where I picked up 2 of their modular awning mounts.

Ok, now it was time for wheels and tires. I knew I wanted to get JK wheels and tires on the trailer, but I did'nt know how I was going to get there. The wheels required a 5 on 5 hub, and the hub on the trailer certainly was not that. Ok, this can be solved by replacing the hubs with replacements from Northern Tool, unfortunately that wasn't going to work for me either. I needed a brand new axle that would fit my small trailer with 5 on 5 hubs. So I stopped into my local trailer supply store, Southwest Gooseneck in San Antonio. I worked with Jesse in parts, he was very helpful and interested in my project. We measured everything out and we decided on a Dexter 3500# axle. However, it was much longer then I needed, thankfully they were able to cut and sleeve it for me as well. Next issue, in order for the grease cap to clear the factory wheel, I needed a spacer. Adapt-It-USA to the rescue, they offer a 5 on 5 adapter with the exact specs I needed. They had them made and shipped to me in 7 days, great service.

That was it, the final piece of the puzzle. New axle was on, along with new springs with shackles as well as the wheels and tires.

Well, that's about it for now. I know I have seen a lot of threads asking how to get Jeep wheels and tires on their trailers, I hope this is helpful and shows what worked for me. Next up for my micro-trailer, a fender solution, and then it's time for a trip! I will be sure to keep this thread updated with anything new. Thanks for viewing, Rod.

SgtMac

Excellent work, great trailer!

Word of caution, with the short tongue and the front gear on the trailer, be careful backing so you don't jack knife into your rear bumper....not that I've learned the hard way backing up my trailer with a tongue box! My tongue box was donated to another forum member and I welded a custom narrow front rack for my trailer.

Kevin108

Explorer
I'd like to see a pic with the awning setup. Why did you put it on that side and not on the side where the lid opens?

Rod_SATX

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Word of caution, with the short tongue and the front gear on the trailer, be careful backing so you don't jack knife into your rear bumper....not that I've learned the hard way backing up my trailer with a tongue box! My tongue box was donated to another forum member and I welded a custom narrow front rack for my trailer.

Thanks for the tip! Yup, extending the tongue is also on my list. Not only do I have to be very careful backing up, with the current setup I cannot fully open my rear gate, so I'm going to extend 18".

Rod_SATX

I'd like to see a pic with the awning setup. Why did you put it on that side and not on the side where the lid opens?

I haven't fully completed the telescoping bars for the awning yet, but from the pic below, you can see a temp setup while I was installing LEDS. The awning can go on either side of the trailer, however, I do prefer to have it on the drivers side. The trailer came with the lid, and, unfortunately it opens on the passenger side. If I ever replace it, it will definitely open on the drivers side. Under the awning will be the kitchen, and it will be a short run from the propane tank to stove etc.

M35A2

Tinkerer
This. You might also clip your rear bumper on a tight turn. You might want to extend the tongue a foot or so, but then you are also increasing tongue weight. You'll have to figure out if the overall layout fits your use case or if it requires refining. Possibly, also, fenders.

D

Deleted member 9101

Absolutely love the trailer! That's exactly what I am going to build in a few years.

Rod_SATX

A few of our favorite things...

Really liking this new padlock from BOLT. It learned my Jeep ignition key in seconds and now I don't have to worry about another key. One key for all!

Installed a waterproof, battery powered LED Light Strip behind the upper awning leg mount. Just enough light for when we are cooking under the awning, plus, hard to beat at only $10.00.

The Atwood Stabalizer Jack has worked out perfectly. The trailer is so light, that once deployed I can just pick it up and move it where I'd like it.

The metal grating used for the front basket makes installing the Quick Fist Clamps fast and easy. Still need to grind and paint the basket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior