Comprehensive Biodiesel Brewing Instructions

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I couldn't really think of a place to post this and I'm writing up the directions for a fellow member so I thought I would just post them here and make them 'interactive' so basically if I forget something or people have questions you can post them up here...

-- Biodiesel brewing is a chemical process where you are basically after a section of a molecule called a triglyceride. You then introduce an alcohol to the triglyceride and this creates the biodiesel molecule. Vegetable oil is basically the most easily available source of the molecule but just as biodiesel can be brewed from 20 gallion things (animal lard, etc) the most abundant and easy to control source is vegetable oil and the triglyceride is basically the fat portion of that molecule. We use "lye" to break apart the molecule, and the easiest to introduce/use alcohol is methanol (which is basically race car fuel) but biodiesel can also be brewed from several different types of oil.

In our case the reaction is simple:

1) Add oil to your processor and determine how much oil you have in liters. 1 gallon of oil x 3.84 = how many liters you have.

2) heat the oil to 120-140 degrees F. At 140 F methanol boils so definitely keep it below this tempurature. Even at 120-140 you will have significant boil-off of your methanol so keep this in mind... If you have a sealed processor one thing that comes to mind once you've added your methanol/lye methoxide mix is to close the vent to keep methanol from boiling off but this is a 'do as you see fit' recommendation.

3) pull a very small portion of the oil out once it's heated and mixed, to do a titration. This can be done as step 1 and it doesn't need to be heated (lots of people titrate before they even collect the oil to see if its of any value). Titration basically measures how 'spent' or used the oil is, and this determines how much lye to use. Here are directions of titration:

Always wear safety equipment. Don't breath or touch this stuff. Biodiesel is nontoxic after you've washed the methanol and glycerine/lye out, not before.

For the reference solution:

1. add 1000ml distilled water
2. add 1 gram NaOH or KOH

For the titration:

1. add 10 ml isopropyl alcohol
2. add 4 drops phenolphthalein indicator solution
3. “blank” the jar with a few drops -OH reference solution – swirl and add until the purple stays
4. add 1 ml oil (be exact)
5. measure 10 ml -OH reference solution – swirl and add until the purple stays.
6. note how many ml -OH reference solution you used.

This will be the grams (Na or K)-OH added on top of the catalyst amount to strip the free fatty acids. The base amount of KOH (potassium hydroxide) is 6.5 grams per liter. So if your oil titrates at 5 grams per liter, then you add 11.5 grams per liter of lye for each liter of vegetable oil you have.

I forget what the base about of NaOH (basic "red devil lye") is but brewing with KOH lye is much better. A little more expensive but your biproduct glycerin is always liquid, it desolves easier into your methanol, and generally brews better. KOH is about $55 a 50 lb bag of KOH flake from a good inexpensive industrial chemical supplier found in any large city.

4) In a seperate container collect 22% of whatever your total oil volume is methanol. So if you have 100 liters of oil collect 22 liters of methanol in a seperate container.

5) Very carefully, in an open vented area with respirator and goggles on, add the lye amount you calculated in step 3 into the methanol. For example if you have 100 liters of oil and it titrated at 5 grams per liter and you are using KOH lye (which has a base level of 6.5 grams per liter) then you add 11.5 grams per liter of oil. So for those 100 liters of oil add 1150 grams of KOH into your methanol.

It will get warm and fizzle. If you use KOH-type lye it will fizzle and should dissolve into the methanol easily with minimal rocking of the container, no stirring required. If using NaOH lye you will need to mix it thoroughly which is also more dangerous to you.

Once dissolved this forms a new chemical called methoxide.

6) Very slowly and/or thoroughly add your methoxide to your oil once the oil is at temperature. Again with respirator on in any open-vessel type processor where you can easily breathe the fumes as the heated methoxide and methanol fumes are flammable and dangerous to your health. If you add your methoxide too quickly to can pool and stay at the top of the vessel particularly in a sealed vessel like an appleseed-type processor.

Once added mix the mixture throughly for at least 1 hour (two recommended, more than 2 hours not needed) using some sort of electrical mixer. I have seen all types of mixers including electric trolling boat motors, electric inline pumps that pull from the bottom and add to the top.

One thing to consider is to also turn off your heat at this step though this is not necessary now either.

7) Internal notes to self for this step: The reaction is now happening. At this point you can pull a small sample out of the processor into something like a glass mason jar and watch the glycerin fall out of the mixture, yielding biodiesel on top and by-product glycerin on the bottom. The reaction happens easily and quickly for the first 90% of the reaction but the last 10% is stubborn and any unreacted oil will clog filters, possibly damage engines, etc, so you want to make sure the reaction is complete and thorough. We actually only need 16% methanol (or that is all the reaction consumes) and a lesser amount of KOH/Lye, and less than an hour to stir, but that last 10% is stubborn and needs these factors to thoroughly complete the reaction, though I'm told the wash phase will also pull out unreacted vegetable oil out of the biodiesel product.

8) Turn off mixer after those 2 hours, and let it sit for at least 8 hours preferably 24 hours or a full day as more and more glycerin will continue to fall to the bottom of the processor. It is normal ot have a little unreacted methanol sitting at the very top of the biodiesel (appearing to look like a thin layer of water almost) and that is OK. Also consider turning off your heat as well unless it is quite cold and your product will freeze of gel (below 40 F).

9) Drain off the glycerin layer our of your processor. If you The technique for this varies largely by type of processor you have but what is important is when the switch occurs it will be quickly, and you will see a quick transition in your drain tube from molassis-like glycerin to quick-moving fairly clear biodiesel. The color of the bioidesel varies considerably from dark amber (fairly 'spent' oil) to light colored from oil from Asian restaurants that is fairly new/unused. If you processor has solid glycerin from using NaOH simply turn on your heat again and it will return to liquid form.

10) Pull the biodiesel out of your processor and put into wash tank unless your processor uses your processor also as a wash tank. At this point the biodiesel can be run but can do long term damage to your engine because of invisible contaminents and residual methanol. Some of the contaminents can be filtered out but not all and it is highly recommended to bubble wash your fuel to have it meet ASTM certified biodiesel spec (which is fairly easy to reach once you have bubble washed).

Add about 1:1 ratio water to your biodiesel so 100 liters of oil, add 100l of water to it. The biodiesel is sensitive to violent introductions of water so try to add it "softly" so slow water induction rate or even mist it in. The water is molecularly heavier so it will go to the bottom of the tank and sit there and will already begin to start having a lightly milky appearance to it.

From here, use a bubble washer, which is fish tank pump with some sort of porous gizmo at the end that yields nice small bubbles and turn this on for at least 24 hours. The more small bubbles you have and basically the bubbles bring water to the surface, the water falls, and something about the ionization of the water pulls any contaminants and left over methanol and unreacted oil out of the biodiesel into the water until the water gets saturated. If you start getting emulsification aka "mayonaise" at this step no matter what it means you didn't mix your methoxide and oil throughly in the reaction process. If you introduce the water in too quickly/violently it can also lead to emulsification.

After the water is saturated (24 hours again) discharge of the water (drain is OK) and add another 50-100 litres. This water will have difficulty getting saturated and should stay a light milky color versus the thick milky color of the first batch after 24 hours of washing. Once you turn off (you do not have to discharge this water if you don't want to, you can re-use it for the next batch if your setup allows for this) you must add heat to the biodiesel around 80-90F recommended (if this is your room temp then no heat required) and let it sit another 24 hours to "dry." Once dry, you biodiesel is ready to be run!

I'm going to bed now, photos to come tomorrow..

EDIT never did snap photos before I shipped it off. Sorry about this, perhaps someone can take or post pics?

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
Great write up! Thanks for sharing. A process I always wanted a simple over view on.

Question: if after the water introduction you find the first water introduction getting emulsified, is there a recovery for that batch, or is the batch ruined?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've just started doing some work with bio-diesel. I have been blending for over a year now, but with the cold temps around here I need to find a way to use more oil. Just collecting from one restaurant, a nice little Thai place, I am swimming in oil.

I am right in the middle of trying to replicate some research done at Purdue on making cold weather bio-diesel. To me, this solves the last problem with bio-diesel. Being able to have a fuel that will work down to -60F would be the ultimate. I can post more information in another thread if people are interested.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Great to see the response guys...

Pretty soon I'll cover the major PITA aspects of biodiesel, all the 'real life' things that make producing it in any real quantities a little difficult for the average person. You sort of either have to 'get professional' ie buy a lot of expensive stuff that makes it hard to pay for itself, or sort of slosh along at a dinky level that takes tons and tons of time and energy. For these reasons unfortunately my guess is maybe 5-10% of brewers stick with it I would figure. It is difficult... I have been doing it since 2004 or thereabouts and it is fun. But I also ride the coat tails of myself and three other partners, some of whom have spent thousands and thousands of dollars getting our equipment up to spec. We have a Dodge truck dedicated to oil collection, we have an insulated 3-phase 2000 gallon system that collects, filters, and dewaters the oil for use in vehicles or biodiesel brewing. We pay between $1 to $1.25 a gallon for oil from him which is much more convenient than collecting and dealing with the oil ourselves. And then we have a standalone automated processor called a Biopro 380 (that produces and efficient 100 gallons of oil/fuel per batch) that was about $13,000 if I remember correctly. All this has made it nice but it is difficult. So I will cover all of this which I think is some of the most understated and under-discussed/unknown info about biodiesel brewing also for the purposes of the conversation.

I would really like to build this into a comprehensive FAQ if possible just for everyone info -- and everyone's input certainly appreciated as I know I'm not the only brewer. Hope it helps!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Great write up! Thanks for sharing. A process I always wanted a simple over view on.

Question: if after the water introduction you find the first water introduction getting emulsified, is there a recovery for that batch, or is the batch ruined?

Yes there is a method that is basically "reverse reaction." Oddly though I know a lot about cars, building processors, and even the chemical reaction I either didn't have the time or never really perfected the art of 'quickly figuring out' how to fix a batch and always relied on others information and stuff out there on the Internet. For example in the Biopro (processor mentioned above) once in a while we'll have a batch go bad and sure enough the directions work great for fixing a batch gone bad. There is nothing more annoying than figuring out what to do with 50, 100 gallons of skunky bad wasted oil with $1 a gallon of chemicals into it (so basically $100 tossed away as well).

But anyway, the cure for emulsification in the wash process is adding glycerin, heat, slow stirring to basically bring the batch back. Then re-react the batch in the processor and re-wash. It is a PITA and time consuming. Hope it helps! So for those reasons again -- **add your methoxide slowly** and make sure it is thoroughly reacted...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have two [operational] diesels currently, the Mercedes was last filled with B20 about three weeks to a month ago when it was raining. All week it's been as low as -11 F at night so I have been fighting the biodiesel brutally. I have one car (my 2000 Ford) I fill with at the city biodiesel pump (that is as low as B2 or B5 when it gets really cold) and even then I'm losing power and performance due to filter gelling, for the record.

One excellent technique that is also an added cost is to use heated components like www.plantdrive.com products, that are all things to consider as well...

It often costs a lot of money to do the right thing unfortunately.

My mother in law is having her hot water heater replaced today. They live in a passive solar thermal brick home that is wonderful. They have long wanted to do tankless or something comparable. It was $3500 more for a semi-adequate tankless (something called a Eternal hybrid -- 3/4's of regular tankless supposedly need regular visits from the plumbers who install them, and we have really hard water here), and this system was only 22% more efficient and an efficient tanked heater. It would save less than $100 a year in natural gas costs... :(

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hey Andre- any idea if could one use biodiesel instead of regular heating oil in an oil home furnace?

Definitely -- works great. My opinion though is buy a waste oil powed furnance or boiler and just run straight vegetable oil for ease of reaction. Something called Biooil is very popular particularly back east where there are so many oil powered furnaces and boilers...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Good to hear. I would like to brew my own some day.

I have a local B99 place and a few others 50-60 miles away.

So for now I do not need to resort to brewing my own, and I want to support those places to try and keep them viable.

The biggest problem for the future of biodiesel is that newer trucks can't allways run on it straight out of the box without modifications.

Almost all are warranteed to 20% biodiesel these days... For reference. It is the post combustion chambers/catalysts that have the most difficulty as if their temperatures cool down they spray diesel fuel into the chamber to increase the burning tempertures. Biodiesel is borderline non flammable (biodegradable, edible as well :) ) so it has some difficulty there. Also food for thought...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I am right in the middle of trying to replicate some research done at Purdue on making cold weather bio-diesel. To me, this solves the last problem with bio-diesel. Being able to have a fuel that will work down to -60F would be the ultimate. I can post more information in another thread if people are interested.

Very interesting. My opinion is that until biodiesel is reformulated to address this and several other problems it cannot be introduced into the main stream at more than anything even close to a 10 or 20% blend. I recently helped our city look at the best options for our next step to greening our bus fleet. I assisted with the transition to B5-B20 depending on temps in 2005. My belief is particularly here in Utah is that Natural Gas, particularly using this engine, is the clear winner. As natural gas is mostly methane gas, you can also run your engines on the gas produced from waste garbage, pig emissions (yes straight out of MadMax 3) and methane is becoming more valuable particularly as it is 21 times more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2 and is obviously combustible.

Please post your results if you don't mind!! We have experimented with attempting to replicate the most currently advanced biodiesel production method, which is something called homogeneous catalyst. But it still doesn't take away the major drawbacks of biodiesel unfortunately...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The process that I am working through is one that removes the saturated fat bio-diesel molecules from the unsaturated molecules. Once they separate you can use the unsaturated fat product for COLD weather use, and the saturated fat product in a warmed application. Generally the pure saturated fat bio-diesel is almost solid at room temperatures, however, it can be used if heated slightly, or it can be blended back into summer fuel depending on your temperature needs. The percentage of yield, saturated vs unsaturated, is dependent on the type of oil. If you look at the cloud point of oils you can see how most oils with high saturated fats have higher cloud points. This gives you a good idea of the general yield.

I don't want to go into too much detail yet, but it does use a common chemical that is re-usable over and over so there is very little added cost to the final product. Generally the only added cost is another heat cycle.

Pure unsaturated fat only bio-diesel has a cloud point of around -60F according to the research.

In my opinion this solves on of the last hurdles for bio-diesel use.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very neat. I have experimented heavily with different levels of saturation of oils too, mostly using 'podunk' type techniques: IE this restaurant uses peanut oil (man does peanut oil make excellent biodiesel) but it is fully saturated if I remember correctly along with most of the other Asian oils, so it also gels very easily. Versus X restaurant that uses canola aka rapeseed variant. You are probably aware of this but the problem with unsaturated oils is the NOx emissions, saturation is directly related to this and this is also why NOx emissions are the only category with biodiesel that goes up, this is also one more reason soy is so popular as it is a good middle of the road option. My experience has been that even highly unsaturated oils real world also have considerable gelling problems unfortunately.. But man am I curious to hear more details/read on your conclusions.. :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I did a little experiment to try and replicate the process. I was able to find some information including the patent for the process. The basic process is to combine biodiesel/methanol/urea, heat to about 55C, then cool to 25-30C. The saturated fats bond with the urea and precipitate out as a solid on the bottom while some biodiesel precipitates out between the methanol and urea. I was able to remove a sample of biodiesel. I think that there is a lot of biodiesel trapped in the excess methanol still.

The sample I pulled off was tossed in the freezer. While the viscosity did get thicker, it did not gel, even at 0-5 degrees F.

coldbiodiesel.jpg

Now I need to find a kitchen scale way to distill the excess methanol from the process to isolate the the other portion of cold weather biodiesel.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very interesting.. We are already getting way advanced here in this thread. Awesome... I need to do some more work to enhance the thread again with photos...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998