Conqueror Batteries

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
I am interested in hearing from any owners of the Conqueror Base camp, Compact, or Conquest campers and about the variety of battery types which may have shipped with them.

Mine shipped with a Panasonic model EC-EV1260U (distributed by GM) (think there's a link to Saturn here?) Haven't found much information on the model I have; the new ones are referred to as VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) which is what the model I have states. The casing does not have any other information about its rated Ah, etc. (unless it's on the bottom - I haven't lifted it out of the storage box).

Anyone?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
rumor was...

These batteries were bought from the former GM EV1 program... don't know if it's true... but from Wikipedia - "The first generation EV1s used lead-acid batteries in 1996 (as model year 1997) and a second generation batch with nickel metal hydride batteries in 1999. Some of the Gen 1 EV1s were refurbished and upgraded to Panasonic lead-acid batteries."

Did you need you need to replace the battery?

I had a great day "playing" with my trailer, still too cold to camp. But I installed a Battery Tender, cleaned everything and loaded camping gear.

Last edited:

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Interesting. . .

Wasn't interested in replacing just yet. Was also messing around with the camper today (interesting enough, also had mine connected to the battery tender). It was more a matter of curiosity as the physical size is not what I am familiar with and I didn't know Panasonic made car batteries.

Thanks!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
car batteries

I agree on teh size... i was wondering if two "normal" size batteries would fit in there in series? Longer power?

When I bought my 98 4Runner it had a Panasonic battery... looked like it was stock since truck had ~45k miles...

So what did you do to the trailer today?

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
I agree on teh size... i was wondering if two "normal" size batteries would fit in there in series? Longer power?

When I bought my 98 4Runner it had a Panasonic battery... looked like it was stock since truck had ~45k miles...

So what did you do to the trailer today?

A lot of rearranging of gear mostly. checked bearing, checked lugs, checked screws, etc. Also, I didn't like how the screw tops to the water tanks could be put down somewhere (can you say misplaced) when filling the tanks so I tapped the top of the 2 tops with stainless screws and linked the two together with a light-weight aluminum chain (thinking I would only be taking one off at a time, they would always be "connected" together).

Safado

Adventurer
Panasonic batteries came stock in a variety of different Toyotas...they're well made and can last quite a long time.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Panasonic batteries came stock in a variety of different Toyotas...they're well made and can last quite a long time.

Thanks Safado. :exclaim:

If GM thought enough of them to use them as the [upgrade] on the EV-1, I would imagine they are durable.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The company I work for owns Optima; the company that I'm an onsite vendor for provides the EMG support for Panasonic.
I'll talk to a field engineer tomorrow and see if I can get the skinny on the batteries.

I'm allowed to buy one Optima per year for $60, btw. I also pay under invoice for any car that we supply parts for, like my Jeep. :wings:

Last edited:

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
Has anybody hooked their Conqueror (or any trailer) battery up to charge off of the vehicles alternator while driving?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
More info...

Honu,

I saw your post on the SA forum... I am a electrical idiot, but would also like to charge the battery in the trailer while driving too. Can you post part numbers/suppliers when you get a chance?

Also you posted you have a manual coming? Is that true? How? Want to share?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Stupid Question

again I am not electrically talented... But I already ran a 12 v direct from the battery, with two fuses, to the bed of my truck for a 12 volt source on my cooler... if I understand what I could find on the internet (and understand) I could instead just use that wire and a plug and direct wire that hot to the battery + to charge when driving? Since this is only a hot wire, I do not need another ground - wire on the battery? I only see having to do this a couple of times a year... Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78