Conservation page on Expedition Portal updated

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
I just added a news item to the Expedition Portal Conservation page about the new proposed legislation in Arizona to make OHV registration (for currently unregistered quads, cycles, buggies, etc.) mandatory.

We personally support this - even though our vehicles won't be affected, we are glad that such a system is being suggested and hopefully implemented, as it will aid enforcement and mitigation in the fastest-growing segment of off-highway use - and improve trail signage and maintenance.

Open houses are occurring now - or just send a letter of support. Let's help keep trails open.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I would love to see something like this in Colorado. I think part of the reason ATV owners get aways with the things they do is without a license plate, there is no way to report them.

I also see a lot of 8-12 year olds riding them and creating a lot of trail and environmental damage.

articulate

Expedition Leader
There would not be a need for registration if we could handle this the old fashioned way: flogging. :violent-smiley-031: But my sensibilities are telling me that you make a much better point with registration revenue will be for funding maintenance and enforcement. Good call.

I wonder what the opposing arguments are?

On a related note, I think the conservation page is one of the best assests to the editorial content at this website.
:camping:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
articulate said:
There would not be a need for registration if we could handle this the old fashioned way: flogging. :violent-smiley-031: But my sensibilities are telling me that you make a much better point with registration revenue will be for funding maintenance and enforcement. Good call.

On a related note, I think the conservation page is one of the best assests to the editorial content at this website.
:camping:

Forget flogging...how about a good caning?
That's even more likely to leave a lasting impression...

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Roseann,

Thanks for the info and the links. I went to the Game & Fish survey and submitted some comments...

Ed

DesertRose

Thank YOU! The legislative process only works when we get involved!:D

articulate said:

Environmentalists are sort of supporting it but want much stronger language defining "harassing wildlife" and they want more funds for enforcement. Not surprisingly they're also worried that the funds will be used to make new trails rather than sign and maintain old ones.

OHV groups are sort of supporting it but want much softer language defining "harassing wildlife" and are happy with current funds for enforcement but want more funds for new trails.

Sound familiar?

articulate said:

Cool, glad you find it useful. Will try to work harder to keep it up to date and relevant.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Correction on Conservation Page

I was in error stating that all watercraft require registration; human-powered craft no longer require registration.

I can't fix the page unfortunately because my [MICROSOFT] web page editing software is totally fritzing out and keeps deleting the page when I try to upload it . . . and Chris and Scott are off at SEMA so it will have to remain this way for a week or so.

Thanks -

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I wholeheartedly support registration as long as the fees don't go to the general fund. Fees should be used for enforcement, maintenance, and education of users.

Thanks for the update:jumping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears