Considering a Go-Fast Camper - Interested in real world experiences and reviews.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hello!

I've got a 2011 F-150 Crew Cab truck that I've been using as my go-to adventure truck for the last few years. I've been messing with roof top tents, trailers, etc for a long time, and while I've had several configurations I've really liked, I think I want an all-in-one integrated solution. I want to sell off all the gear I've accumulated over the years and have one, solid piece of kit that'll do it all. After doing some research, I really fell in love with the Go Fast Campers. They seem light, tough, simple, and very well thought out. It seems like an excellent way to integrate weatherproofness, toughness, while still maintaining "truck" functionality, and a comfortable living space. It seems to be an "everything you need, nothing you don't" solution (which I'm ALL about).

HOWEVER, I'm curious how they perform in the real world. Anyone out there own a GFC Platform? What do you think? How do you like it?

crazysccrmd

Observer
Mine has been great. If you want to maintain truck functionality I don't think you will find a better camper option.

The wait time is stretching out six months or more with the number of orders they have. I hadn't heard if they were starting to offer them for F150s yet either.

highwest

There is a very extensive thread over on TacomaWorld... I believe the matress on the full-size GFC is 6” wider than the mid-size one.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
@rajacat that's AWESOME! I'll have to check back with you and see how you like it. I think I'm going to order mine next week. I spent a long time on the phone with them today and got a ton of information and I just feel like it's such an obviously killer product.

@crazysccrmd , that's exactly one of the things that was so attractive to me about the GFC...it's not a system that necesistates COMPLETE dedication of the vehicle to camping. It seems super utilitarian.

rajacat

@Bravo1782 I chose the GFC for the same reasons you mentioned. I plan to have a modular interior that can be removed for dump runs, hauling construction materials, etc. My truck is my daily driver and I don't have room to store a slide in. I also didn't want to have "gorilla on my back" style camper which wouldn't be good off road.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
I put my deposit on a GoFast Camper last night! It got real!

After reading what you guys had to say and all the other comments I've read, it just seemed like such an obvious no-brainer. So it is ordered. If timing works out, I'll have it by next camping season; the first adventure will probably be driving out to Montana to pick it up.

On a related note, anyone need a pack-rack and\or roof top tent? Got a real nice CVT Mt. Rainier that I'm not gonna need anymore!

Xrunner

Explorer
Ours arrived just in time for a shakedown overnighter to Vedauwoo before leaving for Moab next week.

More thoughts coming soon. :)

Attachments

• A8A675E3-B7D1-4AB6-AF7B-FF1FAFE464E7.jpeg
    A8A675E3-B7D1-4AB6-AF7B-FF1FAFE464E7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 729
  • 34275E9D-671D-4C1E-8334-DB207B4CE42C.jpeg
    34275E9D-671D-4C1E-8334-DB207B4CE42C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 676

henryrose

I recently picked up my GFC in Bozeman and spent 7 nights getting back to Seattle via Yellowstone and SE Oregon.

We experienced good weather (90 degrees and sunny in the desert) and bad (20 degrees and sleet outside Jackson Hole) and were able to make ourselves comfortable in all conditions. 'We' is my wife and I plus our two dogs.

After living in it for a week i'm even more excited about the platform than i was in the many months of anticipation. We were accustomed to using our snugtop rebel for the same purpose and are just loving the extra space and access afforded by the GFC. We really do feel as though we have a "living room" and a "bed room" with this setup.

Beyond the very comfortable sleeping arraignment and generally increased amount of space we really appreciate the incredible access that the side panels provide to the entire bed of the truck.

I think the GFC is well suited to our camping setup, which is highly modular. Sometimes we're entirely vehicle based, but some times we set up a more established camp with a kitchen table, shelter, etc. We also like that we've maintained the ability to use our truck for other things.

We have a bedrug in our truck which i believe makes the bed much more liveable, both by creating softer and smoother surfaces and by reducing the amount of dust that enters the bed from below.

Here are some photos of our setup:

IMG_4143.JPGIMG_4025.JPGIMG_3807.JPG

baachou

For those of you with a GFC: can you place tall objects like refrigerators inside the bed with the roof lifted? And is it safe to drive short distances in this state?

henryrose

I don’t think it’s recommended that you drive with the top unlatched.

Technically a fridge may fit, but I’m sure the top was not designed for any kind of dynamic load while unlatched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bglenden

My main worry about a GFC is whether one person can get out of the bed without having to wake up the other (hey, we're getting old!). I believe this is possible in the Vagabond.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My two concerns with the GFC are the seals at the front corners of the panels and the sleeping layout. I simply don't see how the seals at the corners won't leak or won't be an intrusion point for dirt/dust over time if not in a short amount of time. In regards to the sleeping layout with two up top, it's less than ideal especially if one needs to get up/out without disturbing the other.

I think the price point is more than fair especially when you consider the competition in this segment is well over $10K for a similar product. I'll have to wait for long term reports on these before I take a chance on one, but with that said, I am intrigued and I love the way they look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998