Considering a Nissan

AKRover

Adventurer
Since the family has grown I am considering getting out of the Range Rover and getting into something a little bigger. I think I have narrowed it down to a Tacoma or a Frontier. I have done lots a research on both and it seems like there is less after market parts available for the newer frontiers, is that correct? I was reading a thread on here about the ARB front bumper not being available, is that still case?

I have been very pleased with everything I have purchased from ARB for my other vehicles and would like to outfit the new truck with parts from them as well.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Both are great trucks and you can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Aftermarket is a bit more limited for the Frontier but there are still plenty of parts available to outfit the truck. ARB does have front and rear bumpers available for the Frontier.

2009-10_ARB_Nissan_Frontier_3%20(Medium).JPG

5764_8298_shedpic1.JPG

mcm4090

Explorer
In the my opinion the Gen2 Frontier is a better truck. Of course the Taco is a bad truck. Just think Nissan got it right this time.

The Taco may have better after market but the Frontier still has really good after market. Hell we have a choice of 4 different snorkels when the Taco has none.

TheStig

Observer
I agree that you can't go wrong with either one. I have an Xterra (very similar to the Frontier) and one of my friends has an 08 Tacoma. I like his Tacoma a lot, but I would personally pick the Frontier.

My suggestion would be to drive both, find in advance all the parts you want to buy just to make sure the aftermarket you're looking for is there, and decide based off of that. I would also look at forums for both and see what weaknesses both have. I can tell you in advance that the Frontiers (and Xterras) have a somewhat weak front differential depending on hard you beat on them. I'm not sure what weaknesses the Tacos have but it would be worth checking out before you make your decision.

AKRover

Adventurer
My suggestion would be to drive both, find in advance all the parts you want to buy just to make sure the aftermarket you're looking for is there, and decide based off of that. I would also look at forums for both and see what weaknesses both have. I can tell you in advance that the Frontiers (and Xterras) have a somewhat weak front differential depending on hard you beat on them. I'm not sure what weaknesses the Tacos have but it would be worth checking out before you make your decision.

That's pretty much what I have been doing and I plan to drive them both back to back when the day comes. I have read that the Titan front diff can be swapped in, is that correct?

I really like the look of the DC Tacoma but the Frontier is growing on me. My neighbor has a black DC Frontier with a topper and it looks really nice. I like the more powerful engine and the more plush interior that the Frontier has to offer. That mould be an easier transition from the Range Rover and possibly more comfortable on long trips.

What are most people around here doing for suspension? The OME setup seems to be the way to go on the Tacoma for what I want to do, I'm thinking the same might be true for the Frontier too.

mcm4090

Explorer
That's pretty much what I have been doing and I plan to drive them both back to back when the day comes. I have read that the Titan front diff can be swapped in, is that correct?

I really like the look of the DC Tacoma but the Frontier is growing on me. My neighbor has a black DC Frontier with a topper and it looks really nice. I like the more powerful engine and the more plush interior that the Frontier has to offer. That mould be an easier transition from the Range Rover and possibly more comfortable on long trips.

What are most people around here doing for suspension? The OME setup seems to be the way to go on the Tacoma for what I want to do, I'm thinking the same might be true for the Frontier too.
Yeah I have a Titan diff. Bolts right in.

The back of the Frontier is outstanding. It has a real bed with a 5 utili-track system. Rear disc brakes.
The Frontier also has a flat belly and a fully boxed frame.

With Suspension, OME stuff is starting to get poplar but most go for coilovers like ICON or Radflo.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Check out PRG for suspension parts. IIRC the Fronty and Xterra are very similar, in terms of suspension (may even be the same) and they've got lifts that range from the simple spacers and shackles to full-on coilovers, etc. For rear springs you can go with Deaver AAL sets all the way up to Alcan custom sets, so the options are pretty solid there.

I'm not 100% here, but I'm also pretty sure you can armor up from the major players (Shrock, ARB, Calmini, KMN, etc) with bumpers, skids, and so forth.

I'm a bit partial to the X, but that's solely because it fits my needs - I like to be able to wheel, have access to all of my gear, and then sleep in the back. No damn tents for me.

AKRover

Adventurer
Yeah I have a Titan diff. Bolts right in.

The back of the Frontier is outstanding. It has a real bed with a 5 utili-track system. Rear disc brakes.
The Frontier also has a flat belly and a fully boxed frame.

With Suspension, OME stuff is starting to get poplar but most go for coilovers like ICON or Radflo.
Did the OME suspension just come out for these trucks recently or is there another reason that it isn't very popular? I like the coil overs but they are quite a bit more expensive. The OME appeals to me because I know that I can load it down and it can take it.

Are the available roof rack bars all for looks or can they actually support some weight? I have a RTT that I want to mount to the truck as well as add a camper shell too. I have seen RTT mounted to camper shells but I'm not sure if they are designed to support a 100+ pound tent on top bouncing around.

Also, do these trucks have a pass though rear window? I wasn't able to find that in the specs.

Thanks for all the guys.

SpencerFitch

Observer
I cant believe I owned one of these. I say that because Im currently driving a 1997 discovery.

1ST. I prefered then and prefer still a toyota. I just do. Only real negative I can think of for the toyota is the seating. Its more car like [legs out front]

2nd My frontier gave me no troubles in my 20k I had it OTHER THAN..
A u-joint was failing at 55k and I brought it to to the dealer and they had to replace the WHOLE driveshaft [??] thankfully it was under warrenty.

3rd. DO NOT GET BLACK, my biggest regret, Paint is not strong on these

4h The power and fuel economy IN MY OPINION are GREAT. I got 24MPG a few times and averaged 20-22 in highway and traffic.

The interior is ugly [who cares]

And im sure you have seen one in person, but honestly I dont see you getting ANY more passenger room than in the range rover.

mcm4090

Explorer
Did the OME suspension just come out for these trucks recently or is there another reason that it isn't very popular? I like the coil overs but they are quite a bit more expensive. The OME appeals to me because I know that I can load it down and it can take it.
OME has been out for a few years, maybe 3 years. The company PRG is on a lot of Nissan forums and one of the first lifts out were spacers so this was pushed real hard. Also people that didn't want to spend the money coilovers used to go real cheap and get spacers. It has taken people some time to realize that spacers are a terrible opinion.

Are the available roof rack bars all for looks or can they actually support some weight? I have a RTT that I want to mount to the truck as well as add a camper shell too. I have seen RTT mounted to camper shells but I'm not sure if they are designed to support a 100+ pound tent on top bouncing around.
I believe the cross bars a rated at 150lbs. Not sure about the entire roof.
Also, do these trucks have a pass though rear window? I wasn't able to find that in the specs.
Only on the King Cab.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
The roof rack is good to 150lbs. In all honesty though after carrying kayaks and what not, I couldn't see myself sleeping in a tent on the roof. Same goes for the Tacoma I just think the roof isn't sturdy enough. I guess a camper would support the weight ok. I'd think doing a bed rack setup where the tent goes above the bed is your best bet though.

It has taken people some time to realize that spacers are a terrible option.

I've beaten the crap out of my prg spacers but ok mike:sombrero:

Last edited:

AKRover

Adventurer
And im sure you have seen one in person, but honestly I dont see you getting ANY more passenger room than in the range rover.

I'm not really looking for more passenger room but mostly more cargo space. The rover was fine with my wife and I but after adding a few kids we have to bring more stuff.

Sounds like the roof would work if needed but I have been thinking about the bed rack as well. Or a flippac maybe? Anyone one have one mounted on their Frontier?

Nevermind, found one. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40025&page=2

Last edited:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Seems like you can't go wrong with a Flip Pac, just as long as you don't plan on any roof cargo. Also don't forget about the Bilstien ride hight adj shocks. Those seem like a good alt to a OME front if you didn't plan to have a HD bumper.

AKRover

Adventurer
Seems like you can't go wrong with a Flip Pac, just as long as you don't plan on any roof cargo. Also don't forget about the Bilstien ride hight adj shocks. Those seem like a good alt to a OME front if you didn't plan to have a HD bumper.
I emailed AT to see what it would take to ship one to Alaska since that would be a little bit of a drive for me to pick it up. We'll see what they say. I'll have to weigh the cost of the flip pac against buying a camper shell and mounting the tent I already have to the top of it and see where it comes out. I know the flippac will be more but I might be able to offset the cost by selling a few things.

I do plan on getting a winch bumper for the truck so some stiffer springs in the front would be needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears