Considering changing from Ursa Minor/Jeep combo to Truck and FWC

dwilliams

Currently, I have a Jeep with an Ursa Minor top, and a long bed Chevy 3500 extended cab with an Arctic Fox 990 truck camper.

I'm more than happy and impressed with the truck and camper, but I'm only feeling so-so about the Ursa Minor on the Jeep.

I love the power and comfort of the truck and camper. I really enjoy the conveniences of the camper - plenty of fresh water, shower, fridge, heat, AC, stove, oven, plenty of room to relax and weather out a storm or get away from the heat, all of the benefits of a truck camper basically. The cons of the truck camper are the size of it. It's too big to fit into a lot of the primitive dispersed camping areas of the Pacific Northwest in the dense trees. It's amazing for trips to the desert, or winter camping when there are no crowds, but it can be tricky to find a suitable spot in the busy season.

I thought the Ursa Minor would be the ultimate solution. The jeep and Ursa are about the smallest camping package you are going to get, and it is incredibly capable. It will get to places almost no other rig with a camper or RTT setup is going to get. The cons I'm finding are that the Jeep is a bit under powered for the added weight of all the camping gear, and the extra height and resistance of the Ursa. The sleeping area is a bit cramped, it's plenty of room for solo trips, but when the girlfriend and I head out together, it's pretty tight quarters. It's not the greatest for sitting out bad weather, you really just have to sit in the jeep, or put up a tarp or awning if it's not too cold and you're just trying to get out of the rain. I'm finding that when I go to places remote and rugged enough to need the Ursa, I feel that I'd be just as happy with a ground tent, to enjoy the benefits of the extra space it provides. I also miss the convenience and comfort of a fridge, hot water, sink, AC, heat, and so on with the camper.

I'm considering selling the Ursa and going to a FWC or similar popup. I'd probably look for a used Grandby model or something similar, to use with my current truck as a local summer camper, and keep the Arctic Fox for longer trips to the desert and for winter skiing and snowshoe trips.

I just wanted to get some input from others as to what they think about the FWC and other popup and compact campers. I'd still have the jeep and can go back to tent camping the 3 or 4 times a year I go somewhere pretty remote. I think a smaller profile camper on the truck would open up quite a few new options for camping in comfort in tighter spots. The only real question is rather I'll be happy with a FWC or similar camper after being used to the Arctic Fox. Is the FWC quick and simple, or is it a hassle getting setup? Does it have built in propane and fresh water tanks and holding tanks, or do you have to haul around water jugs and plumb a hose into them? Anything else I should be thinking about or considering in making this change?

Here's the Ursa for reference for those that are not familiar:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/6680827718.html

moveinon

My 2011 4WC has on board clean water, water heater, forced air heat, sink, refrig., queen bed above, single down below, propane stove, outside shower, potty, awning, 160 W solar with batteries. Air conditioning would require a generator which I do not use. There is no inside holding tank so you need to carry one or have one built like some have to go into your truck bed next to the camper. I can go anywhere with the camper on that my truck would go empty and camp in a lot of more remote places in the Pacific Northwest. You would be slightly more limited because of the size and turning radius of your truck as I have a 4X4 Tacoma. I can stay out camping for as long as I have food because the solar keeps the camper charged indefinitely, my propane lasts a long time and I can run water through my filter to refill my water storage in the camper. It is a good three season camper. Although you could use it in the winter it would be less comfortable in the winter than your hard sided camper both with insulation and condensation.

If you find a deal on one, get it quickly because 4WC that are priced right do not stay on the market for any time at all.

Runt

Adventurer
Having owned a Tacoma with RTT, heavily modified TJ pulling a Turtleback trailer, Gen 2 Tacoma with Phoenix pop up & now a Tundra with Phoniex pop up and a gem 3 Tacoma I would say it depends on your needs. No one truck or setup is perfect. I.e. if you want to go off the beaten path a pop up camper on a mid size that is built well will do it if your careful. A full size with a pop up will not and will not give you enough advantage over your 1 ton and camper to make it worth it ....other then low branches, handling etc. Having said that, the mid sized options do not do well with weight. Add more luxury you increase weight....if you go mid size I recommend the current lighter wedge offerings from Go Fast Campers or Vagabond Campers and spec. Out your interior how you want. Stick with what you have...arguably one of the best off road / Overlanding Jeeps and a sweet gravel road explorer / chateau on wheels for ski season. Your pocket book will thank you for it.

windtraveler

Observer
everyone has different wants and needs. I had a small custom camper on a Tacoma and it has been great. Perfect for solo, works well with 2 but requires a little more effort. Heat and outside shower with hot water. No inside water or cooking facilities. After a year and a half we decided we wanted more space when traveling so we bought a 1st gen tundra. Really like the extra space. We also thought we wanted a bigger camper....until we started looking at some. We have concluded that what we have works well for our needs. Even a bigger camper is too small to truly cook in and the extra weight would require an even bigger truck which we really don’t want so we decided to stick with what we’ve got.

All I can say is really evaluate what is important and prioritize your requirements and get what works best for your particular situation.

AF6GL

Four Wheels Campers are available with a variety of options. Mine is loaded up with most of them. Solar works well for my power needs.

To address a couple of your questions, none of their models come with a gray water tank. It requires an external bucket. Many have adapted a small plastic pipe into the bed of the truck and hook that up for small gray water storage. I did this and it works well. Mine holds about 2 1/2 gallons which is great for pulling into Walmart or a campsite late at night and don't want to set anything up. I can then drain that into a bucket when needed. Not the best but actually meets my needs.

As far as ease of set up, it probably takes me 60 seconds or so to set up. When my boys first saw it they were amazed at how quick and easy it was.

I researched for pop-up slide in truck campers for several years before deciding on Four Wheel Camper. Although it won't compete with a full size, which I originally considered, it was a huge upgrade from backpacking. Good luck with your search.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I had a jk rubicon on 35s with Ursa Minor, then went to a double cab Tacoma (icon suspension, supercharger, lockers/gears) with FWC fleet a few years ago. Have had a hard side camper previously (no bath), now in a van. And yes I hated the hard side camper because of the size. Basically I just pushed tree limbs anywhere I tried to go west of the cascades. Nice when the weather was bad but it got obnoxious. And it was nowhere near as big as your arctic fox.

I loved the Jeep and Ursa Minor setup, before I had a kid. Needed more room for a baby, heat, water etc. The FWC was great, pretty well loaded, forward dinette, furnace, water heater, put 300w of solar on it. Easy to setup, easy to use. Not as well insulated as a hard side but fine above 20 degrees or so, depends on expectations.

The Tacoma sized FWC doesn’t have enough space in the cabover to store bedding. Kind of minor but got annoying constantly shuffling stuff. It was overall a great setup for one, good for two, tight with one kid. I had another kid so we moved to something else. The full size FWC is wider and taller but you can leave bedding in place, so less shuffling gear around.

Kind of a vague response but I don’t think you’d regret the decision if you want something a little more comfortable and spacious. If you have some more specific questions send me a PM and I’d be happy to try to help.

Attachments

• 6CCA8164-164E-433B-A7C7-87CAED2AB47D.jpeg
    6CCA8164-164E-433B-A7C7-87CAED2AB47D.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2492E779-65FC-4518-BDE6-9EEAE942B944.jpeg
    2492E779-65FC-4518-BDE6-9EEAE942B944.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
For what it’s worth a 4x4 van is 1000x better than either of the other setups. Not nearly as capable Offroad (the sprinter high roof anyway) but so much better to drive and live with and spend time in.

I think me, personally, if it was just my wife and I.... I’d go for a 4x4 144” wb Sprinter fully setup and a Jeep for solo trips where I really wanted to get away. I’d skip the Arctic Fox and build a super capable well insulated fully equipped van. Yes it’s tall but not nearly as tall as a basement camper on a truck, and it’s narrow and tapered up high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears