Considering converting a cargo van - rear hvac options?

dleeallen

Adventurer
I'm thinking of building out a cargo van (probably a Ford EB) for my family of 4. It will be a basic dry camper set up, sort of VW Multivan-ish in features. My concern is around heating and cooling that big area while driving. I expect to have a second row of seats just behind the front seats similar to a Sprinter Crew. I don't necessarily need/want to condition the entire space but the passenger seating area would seem critical. Can the dash HVAC adequately heat and cool two rows? What have you done to deal with this in your converted cargo? Maybe some suggestions on search terms would help me too! I've tried looking but seem to come up short on much discussion about it. I'm definitely more concerned about heating/cooling while driving vs camping. I'm happy to have screens and doors/windows open while parked but not crazy about highway travel with windows open if avoidable.

ert01

Adventurer
My cargo (Ford EB) had rear heat/AC... it was an option that was available from the factory.

Many work vans have had rear heat added to them simply by adding an aux heater core and fan to the back and plumbing coolant back there from the engine bay.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Go to the junk yard and strip a similar van with rear HVAC. Should almost be bolt on. You may even have knock outs or grommets in the right places to route the plumbing.

_hein_

Observer
If you insulate the van thoroughly and your dash AC is working well then you could be fine without rear AC. We have 170WB Sprinter that we can easily keep cool on the +100F road with the cab AC not even blasting on high. Our van is white so that helps. Proper insulation is first and then see how it goes before adding more cooling, IMO. We provide 3M Thinsulate(TM) automotive grade sound/thermal insulation to DIY and professional up-fitters. Hope that helps. PM me if you would like a sample.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I only have front a/c and with all the insulation I've installed it's very comfortable in the back. But it does take some time to completely cool off.
If I had the rear unit, I'd love it but would hate the space it takes up.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
What temps will you be driving in? Extreme hot or cold? That will drive your options. In moderate temps (40-80 degrees) your factory AC/Heater will suffice. For more extreme temps you may want a rear unit.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Thanks everyone. Temps will be moderate for the most part. Worst will be cold if I end up using as a daily in the winter. But kids would only ride in my car for short drives so not worried much about the negative temps. Insulation makes sense. Good to hear some experience with just dash hvac. I'll put rear on the nice to have list, not critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I used to live in Florida. I had a 1991 Cargo RB Econoline. I located a rear AC in a junkyard. Using all factory Freon pipes/tubing it was mostly plug and play. I did omit the rear heater pieces. The hardest part was removing the steering column to fit one of the metal freon tubes that went across the front of the firewall and dropped along the drivers side to under the body, along the frame. Iirc, all the holes were inplace for the various brackets and wiring harness supports, except the one where the wires and hoses actually entered the rear body area. I think the hole was a standard hole saw size.
I do not remember changing the compressor or condenser. The rear ac did make a big difference in interior temps and time to cool down. Van was red. I think i remember having to change the front evaporator orifice tube to get a better outlet air temp balance front to rear.

As stated in above posts, pretty easy to find the pieces. Newer ones seem to have a lot of air ductwork in the ceiling, so that could be tougher, but all seem to have the evap and blower at floor level. Maybe make your own ducts.

So instead of starting a new thread I am choosing to revive this one. I bought a bare bones cargo van. Then I bought a Club Wagon XLT with a blown motor and I have scavenged a ton of parts off it. However, the girlfriend is growing displeased with the partially disassembled van on her property and it needs to go to the crusher. Before it does I am considering pulling one last thing off it. The rear HVAC.

Is it worth the hassle to pull it and then install it? My brother swears by it in his E350. The blower assembly actually sits in a little depression made in the sheet meal in the Club Wagon an my cargo van has flat sheet metal. I'll have to cut it out and rivet/seal in the new metal. No big deal. It looks like the four lines that run front to back can be pulled with some effort. Then I will have to educate myself on refurbishing and charging an A/C system. My cargo van has a brand new compressor and blows super cold. I'm a little nervous about cracking into a really good A/C system with an unknown.

I also pulled all the wiring harnesses and the dash controller out of the donor Club Wagon and installing the wiring isn't any big deal as I am already adding a ton of wires form those harnesses to my van for other systems. The wiring for the HVAC is actually already installed from the B pillar back. I have the headliner already installed in my cargo from the wagon with all the vents and it would be a complete system when I am done.

I will eventually be installing an aftermarket heater for parked over night heating. Probably the Everest Star as I am leaning right now. I will rarely have passengers besides the two sitting up front. The system is really only good when it is running.

The reason my brother loves the rear HVAC is he can keep the rear of the van pressurized and it helps keep the dust out on gravel roads.

So what say you ExPo? Is it worth the effort to retrofit this system while considering the space it takes up vs the benefits?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
If the space it requires doesn't bother you then it's worthy.
There is a but... a few.
Labor intense.
Used parts might not be clean enough for the system.
Will there be enough new parts available if needed?
Mpg probably will take a hit.

If given the free opportunity I'd do it.
But as I mentioned earlier, my front only can cool the complete interior in a reasonable amount of time and then it starts to get cold.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have a 2011 extended body cargo van. Since it is now insulated, it works fine to cool the second row of captains chairs. If the van has been sitting outside all day in 90+ degree heat and its thoroughly heat soaked, it will take a while to cool down of course. When it's very hot, I aim one of the center dash vents at each kid's seat and they are fine. This was one of many reasons to keep the kids up close rather than pushing them to the back of the van.

Having the rear hvac would certainly help, but for what I've seen so far I wouldn't spend the time and money to add it if the kids will be right behind the driver and passenger.

Petrolburner

Explorer
My rear doors are floppy and have half the latches too. If they sealed better, it might be less critical to move that volume of air. With two dirtbikes inside the van, and no divider, it helps control the fumes too.

philos

Explorer
I'd do it because I live in SoCal. If you live up north, I'd skip it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've decided to at least pull it out of the donor van before it goes to the crusher. I will install the wiring for the rear hvac along with the rest of the harness I am adding to my van. I'll hold off on putting it in the van until I get some trips on it to see how I like it with out. The parts can just sit in the garage for awhile. I know they are going to have to be cleaned after the innards are exposed to the air before I can install them.

bdog1

Adventurer
Older conversion vans often had an aux aftermarket AC under the rear seat. (Like the kid under dash add ons) they just mounted to the flat floor and used hoses to tie in up front. Probably less BTU than a factory unit but very easy install. The copper core units last forever BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78