Containerized: Retromod Global Tacoma

lamontagne

Adventurer
Kudo's to you Containerized!

This truck is your vision, your dream and your money!

May you have many safe and memorable journey's.

Containerized

Adventurer
Whoa, front page feature and we're still a month from having this thing complete? :)

Goal is to take the truck on its first adventure in mid-August... hopefully we won't fall behind schedule.

Some have asked the timeline.

The dealer ordered the truck in late January... as of now, it's still sitting in the shop, being worked on, with fifteen miles on the odometer.

Looking forward to finally being behind the wheel next month... :smiley_drive:

pnorvell

Adventurer
Test fit of spare...

photo_5.jpg

The Rotopax are just "posing" in those shots... don't worry, there's a place for them to live. :ylsmoke:

And here's a teaser shot for everyone asking for front end work...

The surround of the 80 Series lamps and the trim will all be prepped and hit with white to match and blend better into the body. I think even those with grave doubts about using an LC set of lamps on a Taco project will find we've done our very best to make this part work with the truck.

Just coming from experience with that spare location, you can't see anything out the back. What about a retro side mount? Like this:

560719_436820546329763_123992714279216_1684479_119879643_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

Not trying to crowd you thread or nothing, but it really inhibits the view out the back. Unless of course you'll have a rear mounted Camera... Then it's just fancy! Regardless, Love the build man!

Sincerely,

Pete

Containerized

Adventurer
Pete - Funny you mention it; I'd worried about rear visibility until I borrowed a friend's Landcruiser 78 pickup for a week... on 35's with a full-size spare! Honestly, in our travels, it's pretty rare that rear visibility is much of an issue. I live miles from the next person (in Uganda) who owns a vehicle... most of my neighbours live in mud huts and have incomes substantially lower than the average American's Starbucks budget.

Will the spare location add some limitations to the rear visibility? Yep, but I expected that.

Will it require a non-standard tonneau design? Yep, but that's sorted.

Will it be cool? Yep. Or at least I hope so.

ab1985

Explorer
between meetings in New York at 200 West Street
Nice, Containerized. I'm a corporate finance guy myself with an academic background in financial economics (sans the Booth/LSE street cred). I'm loving this build. It's nice to see something different and well though out at the same time. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great to see someone being different. I think the 80 headlights/signals look very good.

Containerized

Adventurer
ab - Nice to see another finance person who realizes "adventure" isn't taking the PATH to Jersey for a monthly risk management meeting.

trump - Of all the forum handles you could have chosen for this reply, yours contributes the most humour.

trump

Adventurist
ab - Nice to see another finance person who realizes "adventure" isn't taking the PATH to Jersey for a monthly risk management meeting.

trump - Of all the forum handles you could have chosen for this reply, yours contributes the most humour.

You don't choose your family name.;)

Containerized

Adventurer
Well, I thought I should get my butt in gear and do a build update post, since this thread has been getting more views.

One issue with a bed bob on a Taco is that the exhaust sort of hops over the rear axle and then spits out the rear. By eliminating some bed length and swapping to a boxed frame section at the very rear (Hilux), you lose an exhaust hanger and sort of lose the reason for the exhaust to hop over the axle in the first place. We decided to do a side exhaust, which will have its own little skid that will continue back from the slider (to be fabricated next week). This also reduces the total exhaust length and mass that will be bouncing around on unpaved roads.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

In the process, we did NOT drill or punch the frame, and were able to replace the ridiculously huge Toyota muffler with something more reasonable, making some space.

3.jpg

You'll notice in earlier pictures the driver's side (left) bed was not shortened yet, but the right was (look back at these pics for a comparison of the two bed lengths). Now, the left side matches the right.

4.jpg

5-1.jpg

jsmarine

Adventurer
Did you remove the radio antenna too? It appears there is body filler over the place where the radio antenna should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears