Conversion of: 1124AF – 1995 – Eng: 356.989

johnbrooks

Hi.

I have blundered into getting this chassis and only now realizing that I have to learn about it. Had rather hoped to build a box and head off without much work on the engine etc but it is not to be. Everything I try to do I find it hard to find any info.

So far the chassis has been stripped, cleaned, sprayed and very clever torsion mounts fabricated by ablevehicles.com. The panels for the cabin are ordered and once finished I will fit it out and head off before winter sets in!

Can anyone point me to a resource or help me to find out details such as; general maintenance requirements (oils etc), how I can use the PTO for a hydraulic winch and what 20” rims I need to get to replace the dual 22.5” (so I can use ZXL) – I got the Mercedes Truck Service Manuals/Workshop Manuals but they are beyond tough to use – DVD’s.

Many thanks.

johnbrooks

Thank you very much. The parts catalogue is excellent.

Has anyone used rubber torsion cabin mounts before? These are being fabricated by ablevehicles.com who are doing the engineering on the truck. They seem strong, give 180mm flexible and simpler than the 4 point I see on many of the German trucks.

1124-Mounts01.jpg

tacr2man

Adventurer
A number of Fire Services in UK used the 1124AF chassis cab . Might be worth trying your local MB trucks dealer for info . HTSH

Neil

Observer
Looks good. ( we have comunicated via the silk Route ) we looked at this vehicle but wanted a LHD .

I am unable to offer advice on the rubber mounts, I have recently been at the Allrad show at Bad Kissingen Germany and climbed all over dozens of the trucks that have been converted by large companies such as Action Mobil and smaller companies such as Ormocar and Fuess.

All of the use one of two systems, A three or 4 point mounting or on springs ( usually about 8-10 ). I didnt see any rubber ones .

We have opted for the spring system .

Our base unit ( 1017A ) is currently being prepared and tested and will be at the Cabin Builder ( Ormocar ) on the 16th of July 2012

Best wishes with the project

Neil

johnbrooks

Hi Ian

We are moving forward. Good to see you the other day, sorry for not being on form.

There are MAN wheels available that have 120mm offset, which would push the fronts out a bit wide but are 8 stud. They would need countersink reamed in, I think, as they are only spigot mounted. Strangely Aspect can make custom wheels for not much more than standard wheels.

www.aspectwheels.co.uk - Darren, he is excellent, really knows his stuff. £215+VAT each. The singles for this truck and it seems most of this era are -

11.75 x 22.5
8 stud
Conical countersink both sides (reversible fit).
Stud hole diameter = 26mm. Diameter top of countersink = 32mm.
Spigot mounted
Bore 221
PCD 275
+130 offset.
As you know the 130mm offset is mm perfect.
On the rears there are two types of shims, ditch the inner shims with singles - sooo important you dont mix them up!

I got 385/65/R22.5 Michelin XZY3 - which I think are perfect for overland (dont get teased into wide base, they dont fit), and the carcase is worth £50 each, better than the Bridgestone. I got quoted over £650+VAT each but got them from a local haulage company for £400+. My advice on tyres is (and I am sure you are well ahead of me) to get them from someone who buys lots as they can save you lots. Having said that - Eddie from www.internartionaltyres.com quoted £415+ for these tyres and was very helpful, I only used the haulage company as they could put them together for me.

I will visit you once we are finished up...

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman