Converting 6.9 diesel to 4x4

johnboy

Converting 6.9 diesel to 4x4 Pictures added 4/13/10

Hello everybody. I found this site a couple of days ago and I am totally hooked. What a treasure chest of info. I'm lookin for a little bit of advice/help with my project. I have an '86 e-250 6.9 diesel that I am currently looking for parts to make a 4x4. My thoughts were dana 60 front end(this rig will be used for hauling, work, and as a recreational camper)and an np205 transfercase. The van currently has a c6 transmission and I have a wild idea of trying to find an allison tranny out of a school bus. I'm wondering wether anyone knows anything specific about how these parts might line up with eachother and or any other basics about this particular build.
Glad to be a member.
Sorry for the stupid thread title
should say CONVERTING 6.9 DIESEL TO 4x4
couldn't figure out how to change it

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Welcome to the portal! --- For the 4x4 conversion, you'll have to make everything custom, or find an existing 75-91 Ford 4x4 van and swap the parts over. ---- I'm not sure about the Allison tranny swap, you may be paving new ground on that one!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If the Allisons came behind the 6.9 or the 7.3 engines then one of those should bolt up. The real issue would be clearances around it and building a cross-member.

I would look for a divorced 205 as that will make any trans changes just a drive-shaft mod instead of a bunch of adapter fabrication.

johnboy

Wow that was quick. Thanks
My plan is to find the parts out of a f-350 4x4 probably from the eighties and rebuilding the axle and transfercase. I'm sure a project like this is gonna take alot of cutting and welding. Luckily I've got a machinest I can trade carpentry work with. As far as the allison goes that might be the easiest idea to just use a divorced transfercase. thankx

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
i would suggest www.oilburners.net for tech...

it is possible for the swap...

the ford 6.9/7.3's have an adapter to the diesel trans...the adapter I beleive is due to the diesels standard pattern being an industrial equipment setup...

it IS possible to use a 460 gasser trans..but the first gear is usually higher...and you have to drill diffrent holes..but its doable..

I would suggest the donor...but the parts can be sourced....not sure about the allison...but talk to campbell enterprizes (the guys that build race buggies) they can custom build you any adapter you want...but if the allison needs a computer for anypart it will need to be a stand alone unit..

my 6.9 is turbo'd and a C6...I dont even worry about the tranny after some of the things I have pulled...an overdrive (ranger/gearvendor) would help but only does the rear drive....but with a divorced case you would get OD for both...A divorced 205 would be BULLETPROOF...(should be...its damnear 3/4 in thick and weighs over 150lbs!)

it is TOTALY doable...not a weekend project...but in a week...you gotta have shafts made or at least make the mounts.

when I was going to convert mine I had a 44 8lug...and was planning on a ZF5/1356 out of a gasser for the 5th gear and keepin the drive/tranny lenght down to less than 8ft!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, johnboy. Remember, we'll need to see photos of your project!

I fixed the thread title for you.

Chip Haven

johnboy

Thanks for the good ideas. My tank will probably be in the way no matter how I hook up a transfercase. It's also the one that houses my WVO so I am probably gonna need to put a custom tank on the other side of the driveshaft.
I am just waiting for a nice day to take some pics of Gary(my van)so I can introduce him to you guys. I might be waiting on weather for awhile cause I live in Seattle.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Welcome to Expo, neighbor, and fellow van enthusiast.

Where will you take your van once the 4x4 conversion is done?

johnboy

There is a good chance that I will be moving to alaska for a couple of years in a year or so. In the meantime I've been thinking about a trip to copper canyon in Mexico. I'm really looking for it to handle better in deep snow because thats when I really wanna drive deep into the cascades for some skiing.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The problem with a divorced t-case on a van is that the fuel tank is the way.
Easier to move, modify, or build a new one than to build a bunch of one-off precision adapter parts.

I have built a divorced transfer case drive shaft that consisted of no tube what-so-ever. It was a slip-yoke to a UJ to a flange to a modified mating flange to a UJ to flange. This all fit between a Toyota 4A-GE's 5 speed and a Samurai transfer case in a SWB Samurai. The owner did end up mounting the trans and transfer case as a unit, which then was rubber mounted to the chassis. ~120 HP in a nearly stock weight Sami is interesting......

Last edited:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I had an '83 Ford F250 HD with the 6.9L engine. It had a BW T-19 4 speed manual tranny and two speed 4WD Tcase with dana 60s. I would think that a wrecking yard could provide a complete factory 4X4 drive train for your van. This is a very good engine and drive train combination.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Easier to move, modify, or build a new one than to build a bunch of one-off precision adapter parts.[/i]

No custom parts will be needed, it can all be sourced from a scrap yard or from Ford direct. You're talking about the t-case, right?

johnboy

I think I found the donor truck on cr.
It's an 89 f-350 4x4 with dana 60 front axle, 7.3 idi diesel, a 5 speed tranny(yeah!) and 411 gea ratio.
The truck is already leaf sprung and it had the tranny rebuilt 10,000 miles ago.
This sounds to good to be true.
Please somebody tell me that this transmission is gonna bolt onto my 6.9 engine.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I think I found the donor truck on cr.
It's an 89 f-350 4x4 with dana 60 front axle, 7.3 idi diesel, a 5 speed tranny(yeah!) and 411 gea ratio.
The truck is already leaf sprung and it had the tranny rebuilt 10,000 miles ago.
This sounds to good to be true.
Please somebody tell me that this transmission is gonna bolt onto my 6.9 engine.

Thew 6.9 is the predecessor to the 7.3 and is closely related. They are both by International, and I believe they share the same block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger