converting a m101 bolt pattern to match an XJ.

idaxj97

Adventurer
Well I just accuried what i belive to be a m101 military trailer for $500. At this point it needs a new floor and some of the side pannels need a little touch up. anyways I want to change the lug pattern to match my XJ, any idaes? When i get started ill do a write up.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I don't know what the lug pattern on an M101 is, but I'd switch the lug pattern on your XJ. 5 on 4.5" is a passenger car lug pattern, and makes it so you can't use any decent locking hubs. 5 on 5.5" (standard OLD Jeep) would be much better. Personally though, I'd go 6 on 5.5" (Toyota/Chevy). Just saying, if you're going to change one...

jp0863

Observer
probably cheaper to swap the whole axle. You can find/order an width axle with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern for under $200. a little more if you want brakes on the axle.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I don't know what the lug pattern on an M101 is, but I'd switch the lug pattern on your XJ. 5 on 4.5" is a passenger car lug pattern, and makes it so you can't use any decent locking hubs. 5 on 5.5" (standard OLD Jeep) would be much better. Personally though, I'd go 6 on 5.5" (Toyota/Chevy). Just saying, if you're going to change one...

Warn and Mile Marker are the only companies that make the hub kit for that lug pattern and I believe Warn is not making anymore of them. Glad I already have mine installed with an extra set of parts just in case.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I installed one of those kits too, but I don't think I'd spend the money again even if they were still making them. Nice parts for sure, but I don't know why I didn't just swap axles back then, since I ended up doing it later anyway.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I installed one of those kits too, but I don't think I'd spend the money again even if they were still making them. Nice parts for sure, but I don't know why I didn't just swap axles back then, since I ended up doing it later anyway.

I am usually really good at thinking through a project, but I am in to my axles so much money with gears, arb lockers and the hub kit with alloy shafts it is now hard to want to start over. 44's front and rear is what I would love to have.

For now on the trailer I would just swap the axle add electric brakes and be into it less than $300 unless you wanted to start changing everything on the Jeep as well

idaxj97

Adventurer
im NOT trying to change the lug pattern on the jeep. I want to change the lug pattern on the TRAILERto match the jeep lug pattern. Hope this clears the air, I guess i wasnt specific enough.

jesusgatos

Explorer
No, I understood. I was just commenting on something that you weren't asking for any input on. Sorry to take your thread off-topic.

dsy

Adventurer
im NOT trying to change the lug pattern on the jeep. I want to change the lug pattern on the TRAILERto match the jeep lug pattern. Hope this clears the air, I guess i wasnt specific enough.

I had great sucess with these people

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters.html

newpaintjob.jpg

Last edited:

chicagojeeper

You have to be careful with the backspacing on your new wheels. The old military rims are pretty narrow, and you don't want your new tires rubbing the tub. I'm not sure on how thick your new adapters would have to be...maybe someone can chime in with their backspacing and adapter thickness?

d0ubledown

Observer
i bought new drums with 6 X 5.5 to match my cruiser. got em from southwestwheel. was about $30 each i think. came with bearings, dust shield and dust cap, lugs etc. better way to go than using adapters since anything bigger than the 16X6.5 oem tire will stick out that much more. was able to retain the oem parking brake as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior