Converting To LED Headlights

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've seen UP in truckstops but don't know much about them. I pinged Virgil to see his thoughts on them.
They're at least legal.

JW Speaker makes 4x6, btw.
I heard back from Virgil (automotive lighting engineer). He doesn't hold them in very high regard....
Can you return them and get some Speakers?

peneumbra

Explorer
Well, probably. Perhaps I could get some of those Bose audio jobs with lots of base and--

Oh. Not that kind of speaker.

I'm going to at least install them and see what they're like (particularly at night, since all headlights are good during the daytime). then we'll see (or not).

peneumbra

Explorer
Hey Mike!! How's it going? Sounds like your F-350 is coming right along - bring it over to FLG when you get a chance.

The class 8 I'm referring to is Class 8 heavy trucks, like KWs and Peterbilts, not the racing class...

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Hey Mike!! How's it going? Sounds like your F-350 is coming right along - bring it over to FLG when you get a chance.

The class 8 I'm referring to is Class 8 heavy trucks, like KWs and Peterbilts, not the racing class...

Yeah, just messing with you. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I will drop you a line.

BulletHead

Adventurer
If I'm planning to go on an expedition, I'd make sure my bulbs are easily source-able in case of a failure. I realize the LEDs have a much lower failure rate but a failure is random after all.

Having said that, wouldn't it be easier to stick with the halogens and not have to worry about storing backup LEDs or full assemblies while on a trip?

peneumbra

Explorer
I've installed these in a Newell motorhome, which I can assure you will never be taken anywhere off the paved road. The high beams are fantastic - like landing lights on a UFO - and the low beams are not functioning at all. So when we get back from this vacation (three weeks in the sun and warmth of Tucson) I'll bring it in to my resident electric genius to get everything figured out. I'm thinking it's a ground issue, as LEDS are known to be very touchy groundwise. I've got power to all four headlamps, and when I replace one of the LEDS with a regular lamp, it works fine. So, science marches on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998