Cooler Size

Kflash

Adventurer
Just thought I'd share...

On the last trip out, we took a standard size, basic cheapo cooler. Had to take an additional cooler for beverages. Over the 3 day weekend, we were essentially out of ice.

I just purchased an Igloo brand 100 qt. Sportsman Cooler. It fits perfectly accross the inside of the M416 (with 6 inches to spare) and is just as high as the lip of the trailer. The 120 qt. version would have also fit with 1 inch to spare, but would have been 1 inch higer than the lip. If you have a top for the trailer, that would be fine, but also may be overkill for the standard weekend. The 100 qt. gives plenty of room for all cooler needs and can fit enough ice to last.

The Sportsman series is rated as a 5 day cooler. I will be testing it this weekend!

igloo.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
The summer round here was really hot...and using my 96qt Igloo on and off our boat had about the same results...ice gone at about 1.5 to 2 days at best.

This cooler has a cushioned seat and it helps...suggestion: get a insulated cover for cooler (you can make one out of refletex insulation for example). Anything that keeps direct sun off the cooler will help.

We freeze water in gallon jugs - can reuse and/or drink the water as needed. Lasts longer than chip ice and easier to handle than block. Out in the salt water Cheasapeake...having an extra gallon of drink water has come in handy at times.

Augment water ice with dry ice. Safeway around here sells dry ice. A block or two wrapped and protected from getting wet (such as laying in a tupperware container on top of the stuff in cooler) really extends your water ice. You don't get dry ice wet and you use gloves to handle it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just an FYI, any cooler that is not completely white will actually attract heat and decrease the life of the ice inside it, it's simple physics and common sense.

Kflash

Adventurer
Yeah, that's pretty basic info. Actually absorbs vs reflects light not heat. I keep it in the shade under an ez up canopy. Green just looks "cooler" on the camp site and will stay much cleaner. I was more commenting on the overall size with regards to the amount of food necessary for a weekend vs. the amount of ice that fits in a smaller size, and the way that it fits inside the M416

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I roll with a vintage Coleman steel banded cooler.
It will keep cool for 2-3 days " if the kids keep the lid locked."
Dark green and mint condition, I an going to paint it soon to match the trailer.

jeeperwilly

The wisdomless wander
Not sure if you have room in your cooler, but try freezing a gallon jug of water and then add what ever amount of cubes are needed. I do this in our yeti and I can get 7-10 days. Packing cold/frozen food also helps. I've done it in our little igloo and I usually get an extra day or two out of it.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I roll with a vintage Coleman steel banded cooler.
It will keep cool for 2-3 days " if the kids keep the lid locked."
Dark green and mint condition, I an going to paint it soon to match the trailer.

I have a red one, but it it really starting to show the abuse it has had.

Chili

Explorer
I have basically the same cooler, but in white, and have been less than impressed as far as cubed ice. I do use something very similar to the frozen milk jugs, I fill and freeze empty apple juice gallon jugs. The lids close much better and they are a little taller / more narrow, which helps save space. I usually use 4 and then we freeze any meat we take that won't be used the first day or so, which helps it all lost a bit longer.

I think the downfall is the easy access lid thing.. It gives up a lot of insulation.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I have this big dog, the handle gets in the way once in awhile, but I use it for stuff other than camping and I love it so far!

Igloo-Glide_Pro.jpg

slawson2000

FWIW...
To extend the life of my ice, I cool down the cooler a day before I go. Loading an already cool cooler really makes a difference.

MOAK

Adventurer
we use an igloo I believe 70 qrt. Its one of those ones that are supposed to be good for 5 days. we use block ice, and 1 bag of ice. We are a bit anal about it as we have lost our ice before, so now we have a system of removing all the food we will need each meal, into a smaller cooler, that way we are only opening up the igloo, at most, 3 or 4 times a day. works really well, I wish I had money to burn, if so I'd be purchasing one of the electric fridge/freezers..

TheThom

Adventurer
The Coleman Xtreme 5-day cooler is packed with reviews on amazon that say it actually keeps ice for 5 days. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, though.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Timely topic, I'm trying to decide what size of Coleman Xtreme to go with. We're two adults and an 8yo, most of our trips are 3 days of camping. I like the 36qt because it's not too big but keep thinking if I should get a 50qt which has wheels, and happens to be a few bucks cheaper than the 36qt! on Amazon. We currently have a Igloo Marine 70qt and a Igloo Playmate (tent top) 16qt, the former is a bit too big, the latter is what gets the most use on a day or two long picnic/camping trip which includes small portions/packs of milk, eggs, mayo/butter, cheese, sliced turkey, salad and fruit, maybe a drink or two if there's room.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Oh, this might help out some of you with kids if you have the room when we used to have a travel trailer (lots more room), we brought both coolers (70qt and 16qt). The small cooler was for snacks and drinks which was frequently opened. This spared the other cooler with meats, milk, eggs etc from the constant opening and closing. Now with 3 of us and a dog there's not enough room in the truck for even the 70qt cooler let alone two :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears