coolers/fridges in trailers

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
What do you guys do to keep things from getting bounced around a lot in the cooler/fridge besides going really slow? We had our Coleman steel belted cooler in our M416 this weekend and it ended up making a slushie of ice, beer, soda, chicken, brats, and eggs that ended up coming out the top of the cooler and then got on stuff in the trailer. The cooler was at the back of the trailer, which I realize was pretty dumb, but I can't imagine it would've been just fine up at the front either. We're already planning on separate coolers for food and drinks on the longer trips, and the food coolers using frozen bottles of water for ice, but I'm wondering what others do to keep this from happening.

mrchips

Adventurer
i also use a Coleman Steel belted cooler, though I use Blue ice packs over a weekend and they help to take up room in the cooler.. Hve not experienced your problems.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have a light off-road trailer, that I've towed at 5/70 mph, smooth/rough/rocks, it has 1400 lb. Dexter like (torflex axle) and I regulate the air pressure in the tires

My cooler never jumbles food, but it's on the tongue

PICT0033.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Jimbo, that's a neat looking harness thing you have holding yours down. Details?

I totally understand the "cooler soup" problem. We put our ice in large plastic containers on our last trip, but I felt it actually made the cooler stay warm, because there was a layer of plastic between the ice and the contents of the cooler.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Strap the cooler to the trailer, empty out the water before setiing off
all foods in sealed plastic containers.

Or buy a fridge

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yea RL, thats the Raingler cargo net, they make a bunch of different sizes

I have three that have lasted thru three vehicles and two trailers

I use a smaller one for my recovery gear

Can't beatem

:victory::costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Is there a chance you could change the springs in order to get a smoother ride? I use very long springs that have about 8-10 inches of total travel and I've never had a problem with my cooler, reguardless of whether it was on the front or the back of the trailer.

Don

-

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, the springs are a big part of it. My camping trailer is a pretty smooth ride on the torsion springs. My utility trailer on standard trailer leaf springs is like an ox-cart.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yo RL, I've mentioned several times in several threads, that one of my easy controls for a good "less abrasive" ride with torsion axles is --

Yeah, the springs are a big part of it. My camping trailer is a pretty smooth ride on the torsion springs. My utility trailer on standard trailer leaf springs is like an ox-cart.

You must vary the tire PSI pressure, I run mine at 35 psi, on freeway and drop to 20/25, IMMEDIATELY off-road

Forget tread life, you want a comfy ride for everything !!

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

go4aryd

Adventurer
What do you guys do to keep things from getting bounced around a lot in the cooler/fridge besides going really slow? We had our Coleman steel belted cooler in our M416 this weekend and it ended up making a slushie of ice, beer, soda, chicken, brats, and eggs that ended up coming out the top of the cooler and then got on stuff in the trailer. The cooler was at the back of the trailer, which I realize was pretty dumb, but I can't imagine it would've been just fine up at the front either. We're already planning on separate coolers for food and drinks on the longer trips, and the food coolers using frozen bottles of water for ice, but I'm wondering what others do to keep this from happening.

Good ideas thus far. Also, where you pack it in the M416 will make a big difference. I would stay away from the back end - it will have the most bouncing regardless of everything else. My M100 has soft shocks and original springs and pulls like a dream, but off-road I can get significant side-to-side rocking over rough terain or steep switchbacks (or both :) )which can be minimized a bit by packing your cooler up front as far as possible - lots of guys use the tongue. I prefer everything inside, but my fridge stays in the rig. I suppose if I were running a cooler it would end up on my tongue as well.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Pack everything in as tight as possible, to minimize play? Also, I try and use ice blocks instead of cubes...lasts longer, takes less space and doesn't pulverize as easily.

STREGA

Explorer
For the last 20 + years I have frozen water in plastic jugs for my ice (makes basicaly small blocks of ice,cube ice doesn't last very long) and that has always worked well for me, last few years I used the simply orange juice containers. you don't get the slossy/soggy food syndrone and when it melts its drinkable and usally still cold. just did a 11 day trip to yellowstone/tetons and made it all the way to day 7 before I had to purchase Ice and had no food spoilage. I just got one of the new ARB Fridges and so far I'am really happy with it.

Honu

lost on the mainland
in a fridge use a towel or a clean article of clothing not dirty socks :) laid over things or tucked into to take up larger spaces ! keeps stuff from bouncing when part empty and helps it work a bit better since you dont want a lot of air in them if you can help it :)

I keep some water in my rig all the time during daily use and keep a few canvas shopping bags to take up the room :)

I would not do that with ice in a cooler :) heheheh soppy towels are not good :)
while it sounds looney you can try to find a inflatable plastic/vinyl pillow ? inflate to take up dead space and keep things tight ?

OldSven

Explorer
Never had a problem with stuff getting messed around with in the trailer, probably because it was packed and had nowhere to go:) It has since been promoted to the back of the 4runner.

DSC09610.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12