coolers what would you design ?

Honu

lost on the mainland
OK to me coolers kinda suck in design in some ways ?

why the angled walls ?
things that stick out and latches that are not flush etc...

I guess I would make it flush latches and handles and square sides etc...
multi levels for baskets saw canyon I think did this on a cooler ?
and 4 divider slots

TwinStick

Explorer
You can always use RubberMaid or Tupperware containers to keep things separated & dry, or reverse the setup & keep ice in containers to keep cooler dry. Stack however you want. I think coolers that have slots FOR dividers, should COME with those dividers, which should also be cutting boards. Low expanding window/door/trim foam can be used to insulate cheap coolers & lids that do not have insulation & are just double walled. Things that are not flush tend to get beat up & broken, I agree.

You can always use RubberMaid or Tupperware containers to keep things separated & dry...

Most of those types of containers aren't leakproof so there's a high chance of getting wet what you want to stay dry either inside or outside of them. In this scenario why not just use ice packs, or as has been suggested many times here, frozen 1/2 gallons of water? I use those, along with random frozen 160z bottles of water. Both of which can be used to drink or wash, etc. once thawed. Fortunately the 1/2 gallons have yet to fully thaw on me, even on 5 day trips using my Coleman Extreme cooler.

I think coolers that have slots FOR dividers, should COME with those dividers, which should also be cutting boards.

Heck yes! Couldn't agree more!!

REasley

Adventurer
The angled walls and exterior latches have to do with the fact that the chests are made of molded plastic. A tapered side makes it easier to remove the piece from the mold. The same with the exterior latches. Making a recess in the plastic part requires a male protrusion which makes it hard to strip from the mold. It is possible to have straight sides and recesses, but adds a lot to the cost of production and of course a much higher retail price and now days price is everything.

drifter_r6

Observer
The angled walls and exterior latches have to do with the fact that the chests are made of molded plastic. A tapered side makes it easier to remove the piece from the mold. The same with the exterior latches. Making a recess in the plastic part requires a male protrusion which makes it hard to strip from the mold. ....

I understand the whole production/mold reasoning but its strange when you see a basic double wall (no insulation) chest have straight interior sides but an "Marine Extreme 5-day" chest with tapered interior sides. Makes no sense to me why they can do it for a cheaper cooler but not in the more expensive cooler.

I agree with the divider/cutting board. I have a Coleman Extreme that has a tapered interior with divider groves that are maybe 1/2" wide. The rectangular cutting board it came with is maybe 1/8" thick. The cutting board/divider fits in the groove so loosely it just rattles around, the tapered interior doesn't allow the rectangular divider to make contact with the walls at the top. Under the weight of ice the divider just buckles. Must be one of those cheapest parts supplier things. The cooler has served me well but What were they thinking?!?

perterra

Adventurer
I'm guessing design constraints play a large part, depending on whether they are an injection mold, blow mold or rotomold? Possibly how the shell is assembled to the inner box. With the cost of manufacture of the mold itself, nothing is done arbitrarily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears