Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx or Goodyear DuraTrac's???

cdnabn49

Observer
well I am finally running my Cooper ST Maxx in snow and ice - they track extremely well, are sure footed and deliver in the snow, pretty decent on ice - although not a dedicated ice snow tire - so over I am really digging this tire I am extremely pleased with them, well done Cooper Tires!

RedF

Adventurer
I'm running Duratrac 265/75R16 "C"s on a Ranger. They are in my opinion excellent at everything I've thrown at them.

I drive 50% gravel, and they aren't gouged/torn up from it like some tires would be.

Great in deep snow and decent on hard pack and Ice.

Well mannered on black-top. Smooth with just a slight hum.

I would really consider buying them again when this set is worn out (which will be a long time for me!)

78Bronco

Explorer
Wet heavy snow like you get on the coast doesn't clean out from the BFG At KO tread very well unless you have lots of wheel speed. The other tire I would recommend is the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S or Silent Armors.

It's difficult for one tire to do everything well with the greatest gap to bridge is summer and winter driving. IMO you should run a proper winter tire from late fall to early spring and maybe earlier/longer in the northern world. The Duratrac is studable and has plenty of siping to improve winter traction but I would not consider it a true winter traction tire.

I live in the mountains near Lake Tahoe. I drive on snow 6+ months out of the year; anywhere from wet, thick snowy slush to very cold, powdery, fluff. I also spend a LOT of time on Eastern Sierra mining roads. I decided to go with BFG ATs this round, and have really regretted that decision. They are absolutely terrible in almost all snow and/or ice conditions. Most of my friends are running the Duratracs now, and the only complaint I have heard is the relatively weak sidewalls, if you're running a bigger rig. They seem to be a great tire in nearly every condition. I do with they offered a 255/85R16 and had tougher sidewalls, but they will very likely be my next tire.

MoparBob

Observer
So what did you decide to go with? Interested to find out as I am considering the S/T Maxx for my next set of tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78