Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Was hoping to run a set of 255/80-17's (on H2alloys) on the 'burb, but national back ordered- again!! So going 255/85-16 and keep the steelies on... Should be here and rolling Monday following alignment.

skibum315

Explorer
I just bought a set in that size ... full set of 5 was ~$1230; with free shipping, $40 off and replacement certs from Discount Tire Direct (they list that size at $224 each). 'Bout the best price I found was on Tire Crawler (~$200/ea), but I would have had to pay ~$150 shipping on top of that (for a set of 5, to Denver) ... and the DTD certs give me a warm fuzzy, others may think it's a waste, YMMV.

DTD is running a promo with eBay right now, they've got a code in their eBay store giving something like $100 off for $400 spent ... if you can find this tire in the size you like, listed, I'd try for that. I think it runs through the end of the month.

Robert Bills

Explorer
What are folks paying for these things? Specifically, 285/75/16 size...

Can't say for LT285/75R16 size, but I purchased a set of LT265/75R16 ST/Maxx tires from Discount Tire/America's Tire in March 2014 for $160 ea. plus mounting/balancing/tax. They price matched the Discount Tire Direct Ebay page that was running a promotion similar to the $100 off each $400 spent coupon code referenced in post #453.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Installed mine yesterday, tested on the road and took a couple of poser shots. Today I had a little extra time to try them out on the dirt and check the angle of the dangle. So far I like 'em. Reasonably quiet on the road and great traction in the dirt and sand. Very little mud so far.

FordExplorer016_zps56bc9ac8.jpg

FordExplorer006_zps6d3d7b74.jpg

DaveNay

Adventurer

I bought 5x in 235/85/16 in April of 2014 and paid $870 all total. Free shipping, no tax, and my invoice says there was a $25 (total not per tire) "web incentive".

Individual tire price was $179

From Discount Tire Direct.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer

I used the Discount Tire Direct Ebay Deal for my 265/75-16. They had listings for (2) tires at $402. I bought (2) sets of (2) tires, and used the $100 off discount code each time, so my total cost for all 4 tires with free shipping was $604.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Thanks, Kojack. It's starting to get where I want it. The Explorer is a Soccer-Mom wagon in stock trim, but can be reasonably capable. I think it's going to work out nicely.

The way I see it, If you are not hardcore rock crawling, then Any decent vehicle can be a great overlander. I used my patriot FDII for a year as an overlander type off road machine. Worked great. good milage, but tank was small. Interior room was tight for 4 and gear, but I had a roof rack on so it was all systems go. I love the pat for a 2 person overlanding rig. If you are going to rock it, for 20 miles all day, then no, but if you are traveling across mostly rough trails etc, the pat, explorer, etc will be sufficient rigs to go where you need.

What other plans you have for the plorer?

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
What other plans you have for the plorer?

Grille guard, roof basket, rear locker or limited slip, larger trans. cooler/remote filter, and little stuff. I'll have to see how things go over the winter and re-evaluate my list in the spring. Plus I'll continue going through the mechanicals.

shellb

Adventurer
I used the Discount Tire Direct Ebay Deal for my 265/75-16. They had listings for (2) tires at $402. I bought (2) sets of (2) tires, and used the $100 off discount code each time, so my total cost for all 4 tires with free shipping was $604.

Thanks for the heads-up on this! I was able to get 4 275/70-18 for $800 using your method. I think that is a crazy good deal! At $200 a tire, I couldn't find prices anywhere near that any other place...plus FREE shipping. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I recommend a WAAG grille guard if you can get one. I have owned westin and waag, the waag was way better built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater