Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

java

Expedition Leader
I think he means kilometers. He's Canadian, eh.

I don't think I've ever gotten 40K miles from a decent set of tires on anything.

I just got new tires, my Goodyear Silent armour, which served me really well, had just over 103k miles on them and still had legal tread. They were getting pretty hard though, so were changed out before winter.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I just got new tires, my Goodyear Silent armour, which served me really well, had just over 103k miles on them and still had legal tread. They were getting pretty hard though, so were changed out before winter.
Yeah, wear has a lot to do with temperatures, driving style, and road aggregate.
When I moved from Florida to Georgia I found that tire life suffered greatly on my motorcycles. More twisties, rougher road surface.
And my tires lasted twice as long in Connecticut as they did in Florida.
I was replacing motorcycle tires every 6K miles here in GA. Got expensive....

I'll be happy to get a good 30K miles from my ST-Maxx's. Overjoyed if they go 40K. I'm just past 20K now and they look good but certainly show wear.
I'll measure them when I remember...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
yes, 80k KMs. still great wear on anything. I have had tires that did'nt last 12,000 kms on my mazda 5. a set of general UHPs. total junk.

zzz150

Adventurer
i've been running these in a 285/70/17 on my ford f150 reg cab, am at 39000km on them now and they are still looking good. i don't like to run my tires down too low on tread as i need traction when getting off the beaten path. i'm very happy with these tires as an overall tire. i've got a thread up in the in progress adventures section where i was running these; http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/129343-Northern-Ontario-to-Inuvik-solo-ride-on-now!

yes i did get a good cut through a tread block in one of the tires but it seems that i ran over some metal cuttings left over from some hydro line workers..

commtrd

:wings:
Since we're all wishing, I'll wish too... I wish half of you that want a new size of the ST Maxx would write Cooper and say so!!! I talked to them last fall about offering a 255/85R16 or R17 for those of us with work trucks, where taller is good, but wider just uses more fuel... They said nobody asks for that size anymore. They don't surf 10,000 different forums to see what we want, they need your input directly! Cooper does pretty good about reading their e-mail. The nice gent I talked to at SEMA last year had just read my e-mail the week before, and was able to tell me that I was the ONLY e-mail he'd gotten asking for a 255/85 ST Maxx.

And don't think asking at Discount Tire is good enough... They just look to see what's available, they don't call Cooper to complain that a size you asked for isn't.

If they know they can sell a tire size, they WILL make it. If nobody has asked them for it, then they have no reason to put it in production.
Ok, I feel better.

Here's the address: cooperinfo@coopertire.com
I added a few links to threads here and on dieselplace.com where people were asking for 255's or something similarly taller than stock without a big fat section width.
That's the only way they're going to know that we're looking for something they don't sell.
Chris

Thanks for posting this link to Cooper Tire so they can be informed of the desirability of offering the 255-80-17 tire size for those of us who appreciate sensible shoes. :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
:wings:

Thanks for posting this link to Cooper Tire so they can be informed of the desirability of offering the 255-80-17 tire size for those of us who appreciate sensible shoes. :)

Cooper got the message long ago as they make those two 255 sizes, and some of us are running them :)

commtrd

Yes I just ordered a set of the 255-80-17s for my 2006 dodge ram 2500. Wanted to let Cooper Tire know we do appreciate them offering up those sizes even if there is not much demand for them. Discount Tire had the fatter [normal] sizes on hand but had to order these 255-80-17s in for my truck.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
One way to support a size is to buy them! :)

I've been helping a buddy build his Tacoma, and he recently purchased five 255/80 after they came off back order.

commtrd

You are somewhat right. the territory I am going with is a d load range tire, and are much lighter than the maxx. My trail cutter E load winter tires are well lighter than the maxx too. I have looked at a lot of tires and the maxx are one of the heaviest.

Heck I wish they made a specialty load range G or H! Just for diesel trucks! I had some DuraTracs load range D and those things felt like driving a boat around. Murdered my fuel mileage as well due to the extreme squishy sidewalls. Got rid of those things two weeks later. Good bye and good riddance. For 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups need E range tires minimum. IMHO of course...

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Has anyone purchased the ST/Maxx in 295/70R17? Last month when I went to get tires I was told that size was not available. The dealer was also out of 285's so I ended up with a different tire that I'm happy with but I'm still kinda feeling like I missed out with the Coopers.

eggman918

Adventurer
I just purchased a set 2 weeks ago in that size,but I need 2 more still for my spares so I can do a 6 tire rotation schedule so i sure hope that they are still in production.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I just purchased a set 2 weeks ago in that size,but I need 2 more still for my spares so I can do a 6 tire rotation schedule so i sure hope that they are still in production.

Thanks! I knew they were out there, probably just not carried by the local distributor or something. Anyways, I won't have to worry about it now for about 40K miles.......

ronner

I was going to replace my aging/worn GY MTR Kevlar 35x12.5x17 with the ST Max in 315/70 17 (no 35's in 17 made in ST Max) but several tire vendors said they are showing as discontinued. They could get them but I am not going to buy a discontinued tire. Based on some of the other replies above, I am wondering if it is the size or the model. They haven't been out that long, so that would be surprising. I am going with another Cooper built tire, the MT Baja ATZ P3. I sent an email to Cooper about this, last Weds but so far nada.
Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior