Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

I just picked up 8 295/70/R17's 5 for the Jeep and 3 for my m101cdn trailer.. I've been running the Cooper ST Max for last two years on the rig and I absolutely love them for road trips and Overlanding,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Not uncommon at all. That is the stock size for 2007+ Jeep Rubicons. Its a great size tire though.
The Jeep JK is the only vehicle fitted at that factory with that tire size. The similar, 265/70R17 (slightly shorter) is fitted to a lot of OE pickups and SUVs. The 255/75R17 is a great, and often overlooked alternative replacement tire in those applications.

Fargo

Adventurer
Yes the cooper are heavier than the old BFG AT KO's. I notice a big difference when I switched. Also, the sidewalls of the Coopers are insanely stiff compared to the BFGs which are compliant for the jeep and provide a great ride, and handling.

Thanks for the reply. As a fellow Jeeper I appreciate your insight. I have Cooper STTs (Load range D) on my LJ. They are a great tire but even at a load range D they are still very stiff. I've been giving a lot of consideration to BFGs lately because I understand even their load rage E tires are softer. I'm just dissappointed to read they are discontinuing the 255/85 MT.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
No problem. I felt a huge difference when I went to BFG. My gas milage, Ride, overall control of the vehicle improved dramatically after I installed the BFGs. No more tracking to the right all the time, rock stiff ride, and poor gas milage. Now, people here say its something other than the tires causing all these problems. However, once the BFGs were installed, all these issues went away. I think you will be quite pleased with the BFG in either the AT or MT. MT is just as smooth just a little louder.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I am really torn about this tire. I love the durability and the traction but the pull to the right really concerns me. I have 2 other friends with this tire and they report the same thing.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I am really torn about this tire. I love the durability and the traction but the pull to the right really concerns me. I have 2 other friends with this tire and they report the same thing.

I don't have any pulling problems with mine. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that nearly all complaints regarding "pulling to the right" are coming from JK owners, which suggests that it might be a Jeep thing more than a Cooper thing.

Does anyone have any reliable numbers?

The_Dude

Adventurer
I don't have any pulling problems with mine. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that nearly all complaints regarding "pulling to the right" are coming from JK owners, which suggests that it might be a Jeep thing more than a Cooper thing.

My truck is an 80 series. My other friends is a Quigley 4x4 Ford E350 and the other is a 1st gen Dodge Durango. Broad range of vehicles if it includes the JK.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride

Had right pulling on my 4Runner, substantially increasing the cross-caster [easy on an IFS rig] cured the problem, the car drives perfectly now. My buddy’s Tacoma project has the same symptom with the Discovered S/T MAXX we just put on, and we will fix it the same way.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I will probably go with them again. I can't find enough cons to really make me not want to. I have about 28k on mine and half easily half tread left.

kojackJKU

The pull IS a cooper thing because once my BFGs were on, there was no pull to either side. Therefore, the pull is totally a Cooper thing. At 28k, you should have Well more than 1/2 tread left. That is unless your relentlessly hard on tires.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The pull IS a cooper thing because once my BFGs were on, there was no pull to either side. Therefore, the pull is totally a Cooper thing. At 28k, you should have Well more than 1/2 tread left. That is unless your relentlessly hard on tires.

There are other tires that pull too, the Toyo M/T has a well-earned reputation for causing a right pull.

kojackJKU

I didn't say others don't do it, I said, my coopers did cause ill handling effects and right pull which went away when the new BFGs were installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior