Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
2000 mile report...

It's been nearly two months since the Maxxs' were mounted and I just put over 2000 miles on them. So far I'm very happy with them. I was a little worried if I made the right choice as the wet (as in rain) traction has been slightly worse than the Dean SXTs that were on my Tundra. This has only showed up during heavy down pours though. Don't get me wrong, the wet traction is good but it got me worried about how these Maxxs would do when the snow showed up. I've been running the Tundra all around the woods in the hunt for tasty critters and have found these tires to be excellent in shale tailings, clay, forest soils and sodden, spongy fields. Finally we got some snow last week and was pleasantly surprised by how well the Maxxs preformed. Travelling along icy gravel roads that were blanketed with wet snow, the Maxxs never once fought for traction. Climbing the steep, winding two track to our hunting grounds was easy peasy and jim65wagon can tell you just how steep this track is. They definitely out preformed the old Deans and probably are on par or better than the ******** Cepek FCIIs as far as snow traction. They are definitely better in the muck and mire than the FCIIs. I'm not ready to say that these are better than my old favorite, the FCIIs, but if these do as well when the real snow hits they could be my new favoritest tire ever.:elkgrin:

jim65wagon

Just a quick update: I haven't had them off road lately, last time was the trip to PA for junior deer season with my daughter. The steep winding track that Haggis speaks of was muddy and the Maxx's just climb right up.
On road I have no complaints. The tires continue to run nice and quiet.
I don't have any issues with them in the rain, like the original ST the rears will spin a bit(or a lot) if your foot gets too heavy, or the tires have too much air pressure, or the road still has that early rain oil layer on it - or a combination of all the above.
They seem to be hydroplane resistant, hitting standing water at speed they shed water quickly enough to maintain control and give you a chance to go - whew! that coulda been worse!
They do seem to be wearing like iron. Original tread depth was (measured by me) 19/32" after 13,000 miles of mostly road (but enough sand, gravel and mud to like these treads) they've worn down to 16/32. Math time peeps.
19/32 - 16/32 = 3/32
175,000 miles - 162000 miles = 13,000 miles
13,000 / 3 = 4333 miles per 1/32 of tread wear!
let's extrapolate!
if you drive these tires to their legal limit (3/32) that gives you a potential of 69,328 miles. [19 - 3 = 16/32; 16 x 4333 = 69,328]
even if you only like to use half the tread life (9.5/32) that gives you a potential of 41,163 miles. [19 / 2 = 9.5; 9.5 x 4333 = 41,163]
That's off road tire life I can live with!

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Any more wear reports? Has anyone run them on a heavier truck yet? I'm seriously thinking of throwing these on the Duramax instead of the STT's.....decisions decisions....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Any more wear reports? Has anyone run them on a heavier truck yet? I'm seriously thinking of throwing these on the Duramax instead of the STT's.....decisions decisions....

I think that's a great idea. It's a very quiet tire for it's void ratio and plenty heavy-duty for a diesel pickup.

Last edited:

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
I think that's a great idea. It's a very quiet tire for it's void ratio and plenty heavy-duty for a diesel pickup.

Thanks Redline, I saw them for the first time in person at a local Napa. Guess a lot of the farmers in our area are starting to run them because they're quieter and still have enough void to make it through an irrigated road. I really like the center section being tighter for hwy driving. They remind me of some old good year wranglers that my dad always swore by back in the 80's, they had a tight tread on one side and larger void on the other.

I was very impressed with them, and think I'll be getting them in the 285/75/16 feel....I'll post once on

But it's always nice to try some new treads. I'm pretty confident that just like gas, tires prices are going to be increasing and will be expensive for a while :(

In other words, they're getting you ready for the price increase. In other words again, to build up the expectation of inflation, so they can go ahead and get more money per sale before that effect wears off with the price increases everywhere else.

chasespeed

Explorer
Ran a set for few months on the back of my old van(van was just replaced witha Chevy Quigley). HEAVY van, around 10k. Wet traction was acceptable. Snow traction, actually, BETTER than I thought, considering the lack of siping, compared to... like a Duratrack. Wear, no complaints, though, I didnt keep a close tab on it... I put about 18k on it between Oct, and when I turned it in this week. No significant signs of chunking, odd wear, etc.

That said... I am not entirely sure I would run these on my PERSONAL vehicle, for all around use. I have had S/Ts in the past, and was happy with them. But, now, running Dunlop MaxxTrac's on the truck(bought them right before they announce discontinuing), and Wrangler Duratracs on the Quigleys at work.... I would probably stick with those...based on the climate here, with snow, and ice..

If I were down South, it wouldnt matter so much.

All in all, no complaints about the tire, wore well under my heavy as sin van, a little noisier than I expected(which, in a service van, is magnified).

My 2 pennies,
Chase

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Cooper S/T MAXX Part 1

Some additional info on this tire and a plug for my blog here:

http://roadtraveler.net/cooper-st-maxx-preview-traction-tire-part-2/

After deciding the LT275/70R18 was my perfect 33-inch tire for an 18-inch wheel, and seeing there is a nice selection of tires in this size, a tread had to be chosen. This was relatively easy as I'm familiar with most of the popular light-truck tire treads. I'm a fan of Cooper Tires and their subsidiaries, and the new S/T MAXX design was already on my to try list, offering the type of any-terrain tire I prefer—not too biased toward on or off-highway. Cooper calls this a 50/50 tire (on/off pavement) and I'd say they are very close to hitting that mark.

Last edited:

Fargo

Adventurer
I love my Cooper STTs but if they made the ST MAXX in a 255/85R16 I'd switch. As much as I like my STTs I'm occasionally finding I wish I would have gotten the Bighorn because they make it in a 255/85R16. The more I have big fat tires the more I wan't a narrow tire. But like you said, the narrow tires seem to be dissappearing. I keep hoping that Ford or someone will stick a 255/80R17 on some new truck. But that probably won't happen as the treand is for taller rims. I think your 275/70R18 is a reasonable size but that just seems like too much rim to me. I like 17" rims but that extra inch seems like too much.

When do we see pictures of the new tires mounted on the vehicle?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...I think your 275/70R18 is a reasonable size but that just seems like too much rim to me. I like 17" rims but that extra inch seems like too much.

When do we see pictures of the new tires mounted on the vehicle?

Lots of good comments and questions Fargo. Thanks for asking them on the blog too, I answered you over there.

Surfy

Adventurer
Yep, it's quickly becoming a 10-ply rating world. I have long been an advocate of load-range D tires, a nice balance of load-range, strength and ride. But 8-ply rated tires are not as common, even though there is a ride penalty with LR E tires, particularly those with a 3-ply sidewall.

Online this evening I did learn that the Cooper STT (mud tire) in a 285/70R17 is a LR D, and has a 3-ply sidewall. Not sure what the ride is like, only one way to tell, and I'm not wild about running a full MT again.

The ST Maxx is still more appealing.

Hi there

I have currently a STT set of 285/70/R17 think thats 33" on my Land Cruiser 200. The Landcruiser is very very good isulatet - but there is some noise, specially when you go higher than 100km/h.

When you open your window - yes they are pretty noisy - but i only have stock tyres to compare.

My first mile i thought: ****** - that bit to much

And on the next day i dont notice it much.

I was weeling in Snow, and have driven a mountain pass bit speedy - i`m happy with the tyres - you can take curves like with stock tyres.

I only test dry streets and snow/ice - there it is perfect - and wait now for a rainday.

jim65wagon

I just did a tire rotation on these. Since I've purchased them I've put on 23,106 miles on them.
Tread depth is at 14/32. I've worn off 5/32.
23106/5 = 4,621.2 miles per 32nd

At this rate, if I keep these to just legal tread depth I have a potential 74,000 mile tire!
Even keeping them to a reasonable 6/32 gets me 60,000 miles.......

Of course, the majority oif these miles are road miles (its a DD remember?) but hopefully that will change now that the trailer is built......

deadbeat son

Explorer
Good informative thread, thanks for all the input from everyone!

I'm due for a new set of tires this fall, and these are on the radar. My truck has around 45k miles, and I've been rotating between a set of BFG MT (old tread pattern) in the summer, and the Cooper ST in the winter (roughly October - June). I would assume the Coopers have about 30 - 35k miles, and the rest of the miles are on the BFG. (Yes, I know, I should have kept a log when swapping). Regardless, the Coopers are shot at this point. It's good to hear the ST Maxx may have a better life.

Other contenders include the BFG AT-KO and the GY DuraTrac, but I just really dislike the fact the siping is only partial depth on the DT. I need tires than can handle some snow and ice for the occasional storms that blow through Denver in the winter.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
Tread depth is at 14/32. I've worn off 5/32.
23106/5 = 4,621.2 miles per 32nd

------------

Even keeping them to a reasonable 6/32 gets me 60,000 miles.......
snip...

Your results are nothing short of fantastic. As is always the case drivers matter, and I'm confident your driving style and skills are helping you achieve the mileage potential of these treads.

Good Work Sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater