Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have seen people complain about excessive side wall flex elsewhere as well. I was considering these for my future dually, but since the main use of the truck will be hauling heavy loads, I think I'll stick to the proven performers... Toyo MT, BFG AT or MT.

Slicky72

Adventurer
Those complaints seem odd , I had the STT and the ST Maxx is supposed have the same carcass . I never experienced any negatives with the STTs and they were a real quality tire.

Michigan4x4

Observer
I think that 8 reviews (4 of which are excellent, 4 are bad) is not a large enough data set to make a decision with.

Yeah... You are probably right. I have a full size chevy silverado and only pull a heavy load 2 or 3 times a year. I am wondering if the E rating on these tires will make my regular cab, short box pickup ride like a cement truck. I would prefer a D or even C rating to be honest. Time to decide between the proven ******** Cepek FCII (which seem to be more expensive) or the Cooper ST Maxx.. Any more reports on wear? Ideally I would like to get at least 50,000 out of a set of tires.

Thanks
Jeff

jim65wagon

Yeah... You are probably right. I have a full size chevy silverado and only pull a heavy load 2 or 3 times a year. I am wondering if the E rating on these tires will make my regular cab, short box pickup ride like a cement truck. I would prefer a D or even C rating to be honest. Time to decide between the proven ******** Cepek FCII (which seem to be more expensive) or the Cooper ST Maxx.. Any more reports on wear? Ideally I would like to get at least 50,000 out of a set of tires.

Thanks
Jeff

The E rated tires ride real nice on the Tundra, I run anywhere from 30 to 40 psi depending on how I'm feeling at any given time. I've just a tick over 30,000 miles on them and I've still got 12/32" of tread left. They're wearing flat and true. Still comfortable and quiet. I'll get an easy 50,000 maybe even 60,000 out of them.

I have overloaded the truck a couple of times (2000 lbs of gravel) and didn't really notice any difference in the drive. I wonder if the people with problems added more air to gain the max weight rating, or did they leave them at whatever psi they drive on empty?

Michigan4x4

Observer
The E rated tires ride real nice on the Tundra, I run anywhere from 30 to 40 psi depending on how I'm feeling at any given time. I've just a tick over 30,000 miles on them and I've still got 12/32" of tread left. They're wearing flat and true. Still comfortable and quiet. I'll get an easy 50,000 maybe even 60,000 out of them.

I have overloaded the truck a couple of times (2000 lbs of gravel) and didn't really notice any difference in the drive. I wonder if the people with problems added more air to gain the max weight rating, or did they leave them at whatever psi they drive on empty?

Very good to know.. Seems like they are holding up well then. I guess just because they are E rated doesn't mean you have to drive around all day with 80psi in the tires. I am going to give the maxx's a good hard look. Wondering how they would compare to the ******** Cepek FCII. I used to run the Cepeks on my old truck and really liked them. Never got to find out how many miles they would go because I traded the truck and the tires only had about 15,000 on them but were wearing really, really well.

eggman918

Adventurer
I have a set of 265-70-17 STT's load range E that I run 55psi front and 50psi rear in a #7,800 truck and they are wearing properly,I run the rears @ 60psi when I load it for a trip.
My trailer only has about #150 tounge weight but we carry two dogs in the back seat and #700/#1,000 gear in the bed on trips.just my two cents.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...******** Cepek FCII. I used to run the Cepeks on my old truck and really liked them. Never got to find out how many miles they would go because I traded the truck and the tires only had about 15,000 on them but were wearing really, really well.

That's always been my experience with a few sets of the F-C II, they wear slow and grip to my liking.

The S/T MAXX is a heavy-duty tire, I'm surprised anyone thinks the sidewalls flex too much.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I am going to give the maxx's a good hard look. Wondering how they would compare to the ******** Cepek FCII. I used to run the Cepeks on my old truck and really liked them.

I've run both...the DC FCIIs and now the S/T Maxxs. Here's my thoughts on comparing the two....

*The FC are better in the snow than the Maxxs. With much more siping and a tighter tread pattern the FCs offer way more traction on snow, ice and in my experience in the sand.
*The Maxxs are better in mud and muck. The Coopers just dig and clean better than the Cepeks which tend to clog up in fibrous mud and clay.
*The FCs are much lighter than the Maxxs. The S/Ts are a heavy tire and you can feel it when they are first mounted and I suspect could be really noticeable on an underpowered vehicle. But the Maxxs react so much better to a truck hauling a load, the DCs sometimes felt a little "loose" even aired up when I had some weight on the truck for work.
*The Maxxs, believe it or not, are quieter at the half worn stage than the FCIIs were at the same amount of tread wear.
*The Maxxs look better if that is a factor in your decision.
*Currently the Maxxs are a better deal than the Cepeks.

That all being said I really like both tires, much more so than the BFG ATs I use to run. I had two sets of FCIIs and saw over 50,000 miles of service life out of them. My current S/T Maxxs have just a tad under 25,000 miles on them and are not quite at half tread yet, I should easily pass 50,000 miles with them. I'll probably put another set of Maxxs on the Tundra as they seem to be the best match for me on a work/exploration truck. On my Jeep I think I'm going to go with the FCIIs for my next tires as the weight of the Coopers would be real noticeable on it. Though I might try a set of DC Mud Countrys just for giggles.

Michigan4x4

Observer
I've run both...the DC FCIIs and now the S/T Maxxs. Here's my thoughts on comparing the two....

*The FC are better in the snow than the Maxxs. With much more siping and a tighter tread pattern the FCs offer way more traction on snow, ice and in my experience in the sand.
*The Maxxs are better in mud and muck. The Coopers just dig and clean better than the Cepeks which tend to clog up in fibrous mud and clay.
*The FCs are much lighter than the Maxxs. The S/Ts are a heavy tire and you can feel it when they are first mounted and I suspect could be really noticeable on an underpowered vehicle. But the Maxxs react so much better to a truck hauling a load, the DCs sometimes felt a little "loose" even aired up when I had some weight on the truck for work.
*The Maxxs, believe it or not, are quieter at the half worn stage than the FCIIs were at the same amount of tread wear.
*The Maxxs look better if that is a factor in your decision.
*Currently the Maxxs are a better deal than the Cepeks.

That all being said I really like both tires, much more so than the BFG ATs I use to run. I had two sets of FCIIs and saw over 50,000 miles of service life out of them. My current S/T Maxxs have just a tad under 25,000 miles on them and are not quite at half tread yet, I should easily pass 50,000 miles with them. I'll probably put another set of Maxxs on the Tundra as they seem to be the best match for me on a work/exploration truck. On my Jeep I think I'm going to go with the FCIIs for my next tires as the weight of the Coopers would be real noticeable on it. Though I might try a set of DC Mud Countrys just for giggles.

Perfect response!! Just what I was looking for to help me make a decision. Thanks!

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
just got the Maxx's mounted on my wheels last night, first impression is they are really heavy, even in a 265-75-16, and all they have in that size is a 10 ply, hopefully they don't slow down my I6 too much, but they look awesome

150487_622533354427765_1399850004_n.jpg

Fargo

Adventurer
I talked to Mike from Cooper at the SEMA show this week. He was able to pull up a spreadsheet with several new sizes of ST Maxx listed!! He said they have been having issues with the factory (sounded like strike or union related) so they haven't done much in the last year, but that's about to change!!

He specifically talked about a 255/80R17 size coming out, and he was aware of the 285/75R17 size that Toyo is now making in their new A/T. It sounds like they are finally going to start phasing out the old ST, and replacing those sizes with the Maxx. I wish I could remember, but I think he was saying that a 255/85R16 may eventually come if there's enough demand for it.

I of course put in my request for a few tall but not wide tires that could give mileage gains over the current trend of wide and tall tires. It seemed like he was listening, and since he was able to verify at least one size that fit that description, I'm hopeful that we'll see a few good tires sizes for our needs come from them within the next year or so!!

I did mention that if they do a 255, it really needs to be comparable to the Toyo, not to the current 255 ST, which has a VERY narrow tread. (By my calc's, the current 255 ST is really more of a 235/110R16.)

Anyway, good things are coming! Stay tuned, and keep asking Cooper directly for tire sizes that you want!!
Chris

This is great news. I just saw a comment in Four Wheeler that Cooper was extending the ST MAXX line. I was really hoping to see a 255/85/16. I love my 285 STTs but I have been thinking a nice set of tall narrow all season tires might help gas mileage a little bit and improve winter driving. I'll definetly keep my eyes open for these. Hopefully they aren't too heavy.

John E Davies

Adventurer
I'm currently running STTs in 305/70R16 on my LX450. While I love them off pavement, I think they are too wide for my truck's current stock power and gearing. I plan to switch to the Maxx in 285/75R16s soon.

It is still darned heavy (61 pounds in this size) but the narrower width will help a little and it gets nothing but great reviews. I looked one over in person yesterday at Discount Tire, and it is definitely a High Testosterone Tire. They should rename it the Discoverer HTT. ;) Those sidewalls are pure sex.

My dealer quoted me a mounted price of $235 each in that size.

I've been using Geolander I/T+ snow tires in the cold months, but those are now ten years old and the STTs are six, and I need to retire both sets. I am hoping that I will find the S/T Maxx tires adequate enough in winter so that I don't have to continue to use two sets of tires and wheels. That will save me a considerable amount of cash and also free up a lot of storage space in my basement. Plus I can sell off the old LX wheels..... Unfortunately, I only drive the truck about 4000 miles annually, so wearing the tread out is less of a problem than age issues like the rubber compound hardening ;(.

BTW I emailed Cooper, asking for weights of the STT and S/T Maxx in this size. He quoted me 59 lbs and 61 lbs. I think the extra weight is due to fewer voids in the Maxx - more rubber.

BTW2 - he never answered my other question - "Why the heck does Cooper STILL not publish these weights?"

BTW3 - I also asked my tire dealer about 255/85s; he is a long time friend and the manager, and he strongly advised against it. He said that even if Cooper makes them, they will still be a very small niche market and the manufacturers can set the price at whatever they like. Plus lack of availability would be a huge issue for me.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

Fargo

Adventurer
BTW3 - I also asked my tire dealer about 255/85s; he is a long time friend and the manager, and he strongly advised against it. He said that even if Cooper makes them, they will still be a very small niche market and the manufacturers can set the price at whatever they like. Plus lack of availability would be a huge issue for me.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Sounds like pretty bad advice to me. So because they are a niche tire, he is telling you they are too expensive? Even though he has no idea of what they will cost, how they will be built, or even if they will exist. What about things like how they will be lighter than a wider tire and how they might improve gas milage. What about on/off road performance? A narrow tire often tracks straiter. Maybe this tire is a better tire for your needs and the characteristics of your vehicle? To say a tire is too expensive just because it is a niche tire is ridiculous. Look at what BFG and others charge for this 'niche' tire. They are typically cheaper than the mass marketed 285/75/16. And if it meets your needs then its worth any extra cost. Otherwise, why not just run factory size all terrains as I'm sure they would be the cheapest non niche tire you could find. It sounds to me like a salesman who simply wants to sell what he has in stock and doesn't want to make the effort to order a tire that a customer wants. He might be a friend, but he's not a very good one, and he's an even worse tire dealer in my opinion. Don't let the salesman sell you what he has in stock. Figure out what you need and then buy it. The reason they are a niche tire is because of salesman like this.

Sorry for the rant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle