Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Has anyone noticed the sub-$200 prices on Tread Depot? $198 for 255/85R16 and $180 for 255/80R17 S/T MAXX, seems like a deal these days, but 255s often are a bit less expensive than 'bigger' sizes.

I see they are listing the Maxx in the 255 size, but Out Of Stock. Seems like a fair price, but I bet we will find them for less.

01tundra

Explorer
So far these are my favorite tire of all time. Super quiet and grip on the wet roads has been wonderful. They also pull really well up our steep, rough, gravel driveway. Can't wait to get them in some tougher terrain :sombrero:.

I went from a 265/75R16 C-rated Duratrac to 235/85R16 E-rated Cooper and they are listed at the exact same weight, so it was a win-win for me.

cooper1_zps7303d32f.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
Having gone from a C-rated Duratrac to the E-rated ST/Maxx on a lightweight truck, what are your observations on the difference in pavement driving and offroad due to the stiffer sidewall?

01tundra

Explorer
Having gone from a C-rated Duratrac to the E-rated ST/Maxx on a lightweight truck, what are your observations on the difference in pavement driving and offroad due to the stiffer sidewall?

I ran my Duratracs at 35 psig, I'm running the Cooper's at 38 psig to maintain the same factory capacities.

Having said that, any time I bumped up to 38-40 psig on the Duratracs I could feel a difference in stiffness of ride and road feedback, which feels about the same as the Cooper's do at 38 psig. So the Cooper's feel stiffer, but I imagine if I dropped down to 35 psig it wouldn't be as noticeable. When I first drove it home after having them put on I definitely noticed that they were stiffer, but they also put 45 psig in them. Once I lowered the pressure they felt better. After driving it for a few weeks I honestly can't remember what the other tires felt like and these feel "normal" to me.

I haven't really been off road to say yet, but I can say that the peace of mind of having E-rated tires makes me feel better.

juicebox

Adventurer
Gull darnit. This thread makes me want these... I found Bighorns for $875 for a set of 5 shipped to my door. These would be more money, smaller and wider. I'm guessing they'd be heavier or as heavy as the d-rated Bighorns. Anybody have experience with both Bighorns and the S/T Maxx?

I worry that there is a lot of hype with things like tires... I always LOVE my new tires, but after the first 10K I get bored and want something else. Dumb, I know, but I think when I get new tires I rave about how awesome they are in comparison to my last tires, but new tires will always look and ride better than old, worn out tires... But I guess it boils down to me not having a ton of experience with tires I guess. I know this forum is full of experience, so I'll trust you guys.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Snow Performance- Kansas City

Well after running these tires for quite some time, I finally got the chance to test them in a decent snow and on snow packed roads.

One word- impressive.

This week, Kansas City got 8"-12" of snow. I needed to go into an area that hadn't been touched by plows or any other vehicle. Wasn't sure if the truck would bog down or not. I am pleased to report the Taco walked through the area like I was on dry pavement. Forwards, backwards, made no difference. Didn't spin a tire or struggle whatsoever. Many of the side streets are also snow packed. Running in 4hi, haven't had a bit of trouble. Performance has been great on the slick, icy, patches. I am thoroughly impressed. Definite winner.

Cooper ST MAXX's, in 235/85R16, on the Taco make a great winter driving combination.

Just my $0.02

Robert Bills

Explorer
:iagree: Yeah, what he said.

I'm still torn between the C-rated, 2-ply sidewall Cooper AT3 LT265/75R16 (stock size and best LT load rating match for a 4400 lb. rig) or the E-rated, 3-ply sidewall Cooper ST/Maxx LT255/85R16 which is only marginally narrower but equivalent in diameter to a much heavier 285/75R16 (in other words a near perfect 33x10.50 aggressive AT).

My brain says to go with the AT3, which will be better for the majority of my rig's mileage (which is on pavement), won't throw off my speedo or give me a bone-jarring ride, but with only 2-ply sidewalls won't give me the same level of security offroad in the sharp volcanic rock common to my area as the 3-ply sidewall ST/Maxx. (I'm not as concerned about the difference in offroad performance between the two tread designs. The tread on the AT3 is remarkably similar to the old C-rated Yokohama Geolander ATii which got my CJ-7 over the Dusy Ershim trail, across the Rubicon, and through Moab without any tire issues.)

My heart says, "Go with the ST/Maxx, the stiff sidewalls won't be that much of an issue on the highway or if you're too lazy to air down for a short run up a logging road, the extra clearance from a "skinny 33" might be an advantage despite the 3.8% speedo error and besides you have a GPS to accurately track speed, and they're just too cool."

Thus far, I've been able to stifle the debate by sitting on my wallet. It would be a no-brainer if the ST/Maxx was produced in a C-rated 255/85R16, but I suspect that to get that tire I'd have to buy the company. :yikes:

Clutch

<---Pass
:iagree: Yeah, what he said.

I'm still torn between the C-rated, 2-ply sidewall Cooper AT3 LT265/75R16 (stock size and best LT load rating match for a 4400 lb. rig) or the E-rated, 3-ply sidewall Cooper ST/Maxx LT255/85R16 which is only marginally narrower but equivalent in diameter to a much heavier 285/75R16 (in other words a near perfect 33x10.50 aggressive AT).

My brain says to go with the AT3, which will be better for the majority of my rig's mileage (which is on pavement), won't throw off my speedo or give me a bone-jarring ride, but with only 2-ply sidewalls won't give me the same level of security offroad in the sharp volcanic rock common to my area as the 3-ply sidewall ST/Maxx. (I'm not as concerned about the difference in offroad performance between the two tread designs. The tread on the AT3 is remarkably similar to the old C-rated Yokohama Geolander ATii which got my CJ-7 over the Dusy Ershim trail, across the Rubicon, and through Moab without any tire issues.)

My heart says, "Go with the ST/Maxx, the stiff sidewalls won't be that much of an issue on the highway or if you're too lazy to air down for a short run up a logging road, the extra clearance from a "skinny 33" might be an advantage despite the 3.8% speedo error and besides you have a GPS to accurately track speed, and they're just too cool."

Thus far, I've been able to stifle the debate by sitting on my wallet. It would be a no-brainer if the ST/Maxx was produced in a C-rated 255/85R16, but I suspect that to get that tire I'd have to buy the company. :yikes:

You could get the Yokohama Geolander AT...believe they are 6 ply, IIRC. Tread pattern is similar to the AT3

images

Robert Bills

Explorer
You could get the Yokohama Geolander AT...believe they are 6 ply, IIRC. Tread pattern is similar to the AT3

images

Unfortunately, Yokohama discontinued the Geolander ATii years ago. Now the only Yokohama "AT" tire is the Geolander A/T-S, which is nothing like the ATii or the Cooper A/T3:

Yokohama Geolander A/T-S:

1304462358-GEO_ATS_3Qtr_Hero_410x370.png

Yokohama Geolander ATii:

yokohama-geolandar-at-plus-ii-g011.jpg

Cooper Discoverer A/T3:

18273.jpg

And to keep this post on topic, a photo of the tire I lust for, the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx:

7d0bee6b-b5cd-4b6e-9c74-60180cd5550d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78