Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
As I said earlier, I ran a set of maxx for 3 years on my JKU. The only issue I have is weight, everything else is golden. Its Probably the best all round tire made for overlanding. I am trying goodyear territory tires this year as I can get a full replacement warranty on them for 10 bucks a tire. meaning if you wear them out within 5 years they are replaced free. and you just pay mounting, balancing and cost of the new warranty. I don't think there is a better deal available. Im doing the same thing for my wifes car and her new jeep when she gets it.

someday

Adventurer
As I said earlier, I ran a set of maxx for 3 years on my JKU. The only issue I have is weight, everything else is golden. Its Probably the best all round tire made for overlanding. .

I dont think they weigh much more than BFG AT ko load range E of the comparable sizes.

I THINK its when you start comparing different different AT tires with different load ranges when weight becomes noticably different. Unfortunately they only make St. Maxx in Load rage E.

kojackJKU

You are somewhat right. the territory I am going with is a d load range tire, and are much lighter than the maxx. My trail cutter E load winter tires are well lighter than the maxx too. I have looked at a lot of tires and the maxx are one of the heaviest.

someday

Adventurer
Just curious, do u know how heavy are your trail cutters? I know duramax's are load range E, and they are lighter as well.

Not doubting or trying to start a forum argument, more just trying to get some actual data.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someday

Adventurer
Quick search...

BFG AT ko, 265/75 16E = 54lbs
St. Maxx, 265/75 16E = 49lbs.

Sources where tire rack, and tread depot. Some one please correct me if I misread their tire charts. Using a iPhone with small screen and old eyes don't mix.

:)

someday

Adventurer
And according to tire rack.

Duratracs, 265/75 16E = 51lbs.

For some reason, I doubt coopers only weigh 49 lbs.

Dazrin

Adventurer
I was wondering the same thing about weight - I posted a spreadsheet to my research in the 255/85 thread and unless everyone is reporting things low for the Coopers, it seems like the "they are heavy" comment doesn't really apply. I only looked at a couple sizes though.

kojackJKU

my trail cutters 265 is 54 lbs the territory in 285 is 51 or 50 lbs and the 285 cooper was 68 lbs from their website. You can really feel the extra weight in the JEEP.

someday

Adventurer
my trail cutters 265 is 54 lbs the territory in 285 is 51 or 50 lbs and the 285 cooper was 68 lbs from their website. You can really feel the extra weight in the JEEP.

I cannot find the weight of tires on the Cooper Website. Could you post a link?

someday

Adventurer
I was wondering the same thing about weight - I posted a spreadsheet to my research in the 255/85 thread and unless everyone is reporting things low for the Coopers, it seems like the "they are heavy" comment doesn't really apply. I only looked at a couple sizes though.

Excellent spreadsheet. I am surprised (from the few different forums I visit) no one has constructed a detailed tire weight/size spread sheet. I mean, there seems to be a 'sticky' for just about everything else! Though, if I was that important, I guess I should just do it myself! :)

kojackJKU

opps. got the weight from cdn tire, 60 lbs and 52 for the territory. having the softer sidewall will help with the ride as well.

kbahus

Adventurer
I will get some measurements tomorrow. I will say that so far I am very impressed with these tires. I drove up to Silverthorne on I70 yesterday and the 80 felt more stable and confident inspiring than it ever has on the highway. These tires are quiet too, more so than the Duratracs. I also got outstanding gas mileage, I am about to turn 300 miles on a tank which I don't think has ever happened. Anxious to flex them on the trail and the snow but so far they get a big thumbs up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger