Cooper STT PRO Review. 2000 Miles logged.

wyocountrykid

Hello everyone, Ive been a lurker on this forum for quite some time now and Ive acquired an abundance of knowledge by reading through this forum and others. I am a avid researcher and much thought goes into everything before I purchase. I use many peoples thoughts, opinions and reviews for myself so I figure its about time I give some reviews of my own.

I recently purchased some Cooper STT PROs for my truck a 2011 f150. They are 295 70 18 (34x11.5). I am becoming a fan for cooper tires as I use them more. I had the st maxx on a work truck that is mainly driven on dirt roads in the oil fields of wyoming. The maxx were great tires on my work truck and they were my tire of choice (planned out months ahead) to put on my personal truck when my NITTOs wore out. Then cooper came out with the pros and after much debate with myself I decided to skip the MAXX and be the guinea pig for these tires.

My wife and I had been planning a road trip with our truck and I had the tires put on the day before we left. We left from wyoming and went to Vernal Utah that evening. After grabbing something to eat we made our way to Dinosaur National Monument. We camped at the confluence of the Yampa and Green River. We drove out of Dinosaur National Monument on dirt road at a fairly brisk speed (around 50 miles of dirt road). The roads in this area are basically the natural dirt plowed into a road with very little gravel on most of the roads we were on, the dirt was rutted from the rains this year going from loose sandy sections to hard packed clay . The tires did well on the dirt roads. We hit highway again and set our sights on the city of Montrose. The tires did good on the road for such an aggressive tread. To give something to compare against my previous tires on this truck have been General Red letter grabbers, and Nitto Trail Grapplers. Ive had two sets of trail grapplers on different trucks and i love this tire. It is a great tire. Going off of my ear decibel meter, the PROS are about the same loudness as the trail grapplers. I cannot tell a difference between the two tires. Now they are louder then the MAXX's Ive had on my work truck and louder than the new ******** Cepek Fun Country's I have now on my work truck. But it is to be expected as the tires are much more aggressive. We drove through a down pour on our way to montrose and the tires did well. I never felt the truck wander through the standing water on the road. I will add right now that the siping of this tire is one of the reasons I thought i should give it a try. It is also lighter than other tires in the same category, I thought I might gain a few MPG with dropping a few lbs but I did not. My overall MPG has stayed the same.

We then went to Ouray and started on the Alpine loop. It was rainy and the trail was a combination of mud and wet rocks. I had aired down to 25 psi and the tires were great. My wife and I were glad to had good tires when looking off the muddy shelf roads of Engineer pass. We did most of the Alpine loop after Engineer pass, Lake City to Silverton via Cinnoman Pass, Ouray up to Yankee boy basin then to telluride via Imogene Pass, then Ophir Pass back to 550. The roads there were loose rocks, rock ledges, gravel, mud and some pavement. There was rain off and on that kept everything slick. The tires were great in all aspects of the trip.

We hit 550 aired back up and went to Durango, hit Mesa Verde, and Monument Valley. We headed for St George and stopped at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes. The tires dig, there was no floatation on the sand. Ive had my trail grapplers and some terra grapplers on the St Anthony dunes in Idaho and they didnt dig this much. I should point out that none of these times I out trying to climb the dunes with the truck, my PSI was never adjusted and it was just around to the edge of the dunes to unload a motorcycle or maybe a quick blip over a hill or two to a camp fire. Nothing that you would try in a rail or a quad. But anyway the STT PROS dig in the sand and highway PSI.

The rest of the trip was highway back home. In conclusion I am pleased with the new tire. It handled a variety of terrain and obstacles very well. I will say that this tire a bit to aggressive for pure highway miles but it not marketed as a highway tread. I choose the PROS over all terrains with the theory of "Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". I may gain a couple MPG if I were to switch to something like a KO2 or Toyo open country extremes. But until then I am really liking these tires. Next test will be the snow. And that shouldnt be too far off here in wyoming.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
How are the PRO different than the MAXX? I've got MAXX on my truck now and am happy with them but not a lot of miles so far.

wyocountrykid

The PROS are more aggressive than the Maxx they are a mud terrain with siping. I believe the PROS are going to replace the copper stt discoverer which is their current mud terrian.

Last edited:

wyocountrykid

Here is the best picture of the tire tread I have from our recent trip. Our obligatory picture on Imogene pass shows how big the lugs are.

Attachments

• 11986996_10153633890319485_637468595903019486_n.jpg
    11986996_10153633890319485_637468595903019486_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 169

zelatore

Explorer
Just another story convincing me that the STT Pro is the tire I want on my Rover. If only they made it in my 275-70-18 size! (sob!)

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Les Schwab Tire company sells a house branded Mud Terrain tire which is reportedly manufactured by Cooper, and shares exactly identical tread pattern and depth with the ST Maxx All Terrain. Rubber compound probably differs, in favor of the Cooper branded ST Maxx's, however I bring up this point to exemplify how aggressive the tread design and lug spacing is on the Maxx's. So much so that some people are doubtful of Cooper's classification as an All-Terrain, and to the point where Les Schwab is marketing the exact tread as a Muddy.

I can tell you from ~3000 miles of experience with the Cooper ST Maxx's that they are incredibly quiet on road, steer and handle remarkably similar to a standard passenger tire at highway speeds, and excel on boulders, gravel and soft snow when aired down for the occasion. I've run mine between 32 and 40 PSI for daily use and find them exceptional. I have tested these tires and pushed them beyond their traction limit around bends on a mountain highway. I will say that they break traction abruptly and without audible or tactile feedback. I've read that the ST Maxx's are not as good on ice and hard pack snow as BFG KO2's.

Mud and Sand? I haven't been in those conditions yet. I don't doubt they'll excel in the sloppy stuff... Most North Americans do 90% of their driving on paved roads. I'll take as much braking efficiency and wet weather traction out of an offroad tire as I can get, for safety reasons on the highway where I am exposed to the greatest risk of an accident. All Terrains fit that requirement.

STT Pro's sure look ************ though. I heard they're pretty decent on the highway as well.

Madbodhi

Observer
20180822_121413.jpg
I've had STT Pro's for over 2 years now. Cruiser is my daily driver so plenty of ice and snow during Wisconsin winters as well as running through deep soft sand in Florida, mud in Michigan, rocky shelfs in Colorado, among many other trips and thousands of highway miles. The Pro's have performed flawlessly through it all, balanced very well and are wearing extremely well and evenly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears