Copper Canyon Trip Report - 2011

G_fresh

Adventurer
Day 15 - Phoenix to Santa Barbara (11/19/11)

Took 10 all the way home - 467.2 miles. I only have a couple vehicle-related interesting observations:

First, the LX450's steering was sloppy. This was something we had noticed shortly after getting the vehicle five months before. There was an inch or two of steering wheel "dead spot".

This was not a big deal when going slow and turning a lot. But, going 70mph+ in a straight line was a chore. A small deviation in a vehicles straight line path should require a small input to the steering wheel, right? For our truck, we had to overcome the dead spot before it would begin to turn. If you were to steer a bit too much and have to correct the other way, you'd first have to overcome the inch or so dead spot in the other direction! This got really taxing after a while.

This got borderline dangerous just north of Palm Springs where all those windmills are. Whenever a strong gust occurred, the LX would be blown off its straight course. The dead spot then had to be overcome before steering input would be responded to. This delay meant we’d be blown off-course a few feet sometimes! Not fun at 70mph. So, we had to slow down.

[As a post script, it was a worn steering box as I suspected before the trip. All the ball joints, tie rod ends, bearings, etc. were checked out and fine. The solution was a new – no remanufactured box available from Toyota – steering box and the associated, updated pitman arm to the tune of $2300! I’m not sure I would say the steering is $2300 better, but it is better now…]

The other interesting observation was the noise the rocket box was making in response to the increased wind. I have not experienced this before over the thousands of miles we have run with it on. It was bouncing a bit more than normal (as seen through the sunroof). We checked it a few times and it appeared solid and secure.

Trip = done

Next, I’ll post some stats and final thoughts at some point. I hope you all enjoyed my narrative – it sure did take a lot of time/energy!

G_fresh

Adventurer
Statistics Page

Mileage:
Odometer (start) = 197,430 miles
Odometer (end) = 200,150 miles
Odometer (total) = 2,720 miles
GPS (total) = 2665.9 miles

Gas:
Total volume ≈ 221 gallons
Total USD ≈ $706
Total USD/gal ≈ $3.19/gal
Total MPG ≈ 12.3 mpg

We were getting about 13-14mpg on long, flat highway stretches and as low 7.7mpg when on dirt roads climbing across multiple canyons (up and down 4000 feet twice).

Misc:
- burned or lost about ½ of a quart of oil
. - oil filler cap’s gasket began leaking, replaced
- no other fluid loss

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Thanks for sharing. I just discovered your report today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I appreciate the effort in writing it up and posting the pictures. When I attempt to do something like this I can't help but remember how much easier it was with post cards and very limited space!

chickadee

Adventurer
Looking back on this trip, I can only describe it as a great adventure. My husband and I have traveled to Mexico many times and it saddens me that so many people are afraid to travel to Mexico. There are so many wonderful places to experience in Mexico. I hope people find the courage to push past their fears and go and explore Mexico. It's a beautiful place!

D

Deleted member 79263

Just found your report and really enjoyed reading it. Will be taking my third Dual Sport trip to Copper Canyon (in two years) this November. Many familiar sites in your photos. The photo with the Batopilas sign now has 22 bullet holes (as of March 2013) compared to your 5 bullet holes! Roads have been much improved between 2012 and 2013, unless the weather has taken them out again. Bridge being build in Urique (Guapalaini) for vehicles. Caballo Blanco passed away in 2012, the marathon continues as far as I know.

(Just down the road in Carpinteria).......

pmatusov

AK6PM
Great report indeed! The little details turn the report from merely a photo album to something people could use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman