Cracks in rear cross members

93Canter

Observer
I was giving my 1993 FG439 chassis some paint prior to starting on a new camper body and I noticed cracks that start between the lower rivets in the cross members at the rear of the truck.

Cracking issues were discussed in the FG fleet mechanic interview thread.

The concerning bit is that these cracks are only visible from above and are easily missed. Here are some pics:

Front Right
4082769238_80af212e81.jpg

Rear Right
4082769234_457c6f382d.jpg

Rear Left
4082769230_63b745eb01.jpg

Front Left
4082769220_19ae685311.jpg

My FG has done about 38,000 km, it had a tough time as an overloaded fire truck for the first 9000 km.

I am now pondering how I "plate the cutouts at the end and weld it all together so that it becomes 1 piece."

engineer

Adventurer
I cut mine right out and replaced one with a Volvo X member, the other i just ground out & welded. both are still fine.

gait

Explorer
I'm not much help with the repair but I've joined all those inspecting their chassis this morning and have a question about the pics. I think I can see something at the start of each crack, looks to me like a small weld. Am I seeing it correctly? Not present in mine (later model?) but could help explain why your cracks have occured in those places.
Don't forget its high tensile steel when welding. A trip to the wreckers may help.

kerry

Expedition Leader
For those of us who don't have the luxury of looking down on our crossmembers from above, can you tell us if you can feel those cracks by reaching up from below and running a finger or finger nail across that area?

gait

Explorer
For those of us who don't have the luxury of looking down on our crossmembers from above, can you tell us if you can feel those cracks by reaching up from below and running a finger or finger nail across that area?
have you tried a mirror and a bright light?

engineer

Adventurer
I'm not much help with the repair but I've joined all those inspecting their chassis this morning and have a question about the pics. I think I can see something at the start of each crack, looks to me like a small weld. Am I seeing it correctly? Not present in mine (later model?) but could help explain why your cracks have occured in those places.
Don't forget its high tensile steel when welding. A trip to the wreckers may help.

They seem more like mild steel to me.... Nothing like the chassis of yore.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Looks like it's cracking right thru the center of the rivet holes. Have you look from below at the crossmember where the two top rivets go thru it?

93Canter

Observer
Here is a close up, it will give you some idea of where you might feel the crack with your fingernail if the crack is bad.

4085712744_b93af5da2c.jpg

Thanks for the comments on Volvo bits Engineer, do you have any tips on which Volvo model I should be looking for.

I should point out that the cracks only became apparent after I had attacked the area with a wire brush attached to an angle grinder.

If you don't have access from above to inspect your rivets it might be possible to take a photo of the area with a small digital camera that has a flash.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
4082769230_63b745eb01.jpg

Yep, looks familiar. Some of the beach bus operators plate this whole area now as soon as they buy a new chassis rather than wait for it to happen down the track and then be faced with the difficulty of trying to repair it with a body on top.

gait

Explorer
They seem more like mild steel to me.... Nothing like the chassis of yore.
they seem like that to me also, might have been in 1993 (I really don't know) but recent spec for chassis tensile strength is 450Mpa
http://www.thetruckcentre.com.au/range/spec/Spec_fg649.htm
Its a long time since I looked at steel in a lab but steel with yield strength between 340 and 690Mpa is possibly low alloy high tensile, known for cracking in heat affected zone of welds if appropriate practice isn't followed. Possibly why these cracks seem to start at the edge of the welds (probably just outside the weld bead but I can't quite see).

kdgreene

Observer
Thanks those pics of plating will make a big difference.

I have a 2004 FG that I'll have to crawl under to check out. This sounds like it could be a major job if we have a problem - we have a box on our truck and now have over 150,000 km on the truck.

If you wouldn't mind posting your photos for the rest of us to see, it would be a great help. Thanks.

Don Greene
Adventure Learning Foundation
Americas Overland
www.questconnect.org
www.americasoverland.net

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger