Crank gear and crank gear separate?

Skidoo03

Hey all,

So I'm in the middle of doing the timing belt job on my '99 gen 2.5 and just want to verify something, as we we remove the crank pulley the crank gear seems stuck to it and comes out with it as one piece. Judging by the parts diagram on mitsubishiparts.net they are two separate pieces. Has anyone experienced this before and if so how did you separate them? Just want to make sure everything is getting done correct, thanks!

Also disregard the title, I meant the crank gear and crank pulley and added a picture of what I'm talking about.

F709059_edit.jpg

Last edited:

nckwltn

Explorer
Yes, they can be separated... Even the crank position sensor blade separated. Just be sure you line everything back up, there should be key way, and couple of pins. 2 for the cps blade and one for the pulley.

Just reread your Q.... I don't think you necessary need to separate them, but probably helps with setting the timing.

I would probably end up using a soft mallet to rock the gear loose. There isn't a lot holding it in (one 3/16ths sized pin).. and probably 20 years of oil and gunk.

Skidoo03

Yes, they can be separated... Even the crank position sensor blade separated. Just be sure you line everything back up, there should be key way, and couple of pins. 2 for the cps blade and one for the pulley.

Just reread your Q.... I don't think you necessary need to separate them, but probably helps with setting the timing.

I would probably end up using a soft mallet to rock the gear loose. There isn't a lot holding it in (one 3/16ths sized pin).. and probably 20 years of oil and gunk.

Thanks for the quick response, but that's what I was thinking. I didn't think they necessarily need to be separated but it seems like it would help double check the timing is correct. I'll probably try the rubber mallet method to separate them and I'm guessing that pin is similar to the two that go from the gear to the blade?

nckwltn

Explorer
The pin for the gear is similar, just MUCH larger..... I want to say that I've had this issue before and also used a flat screwdriver to assist. the gear isn't buried very far into the pulley.

thinking of it further, you will want to separate them... the gear has a dot on the front of it, so you know which tooth is the one to align with the timing mark. It should come apart without too much effort, it's a snug fit, but not much more than snug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears