Critical Spares 2nd Gen Montero

SoCalMonty

Explorer
How often do you go where services are more than half a days drive from the remote location in which you are traveling? How far are you from a parts store that carrys a good stock in Mitsubishi parts? My "PMCS" involved rebuilding the engine and replacing all worn components before the first trip. What is yours? Change the oil?

You do know our trucks are NOT chevys and Toyotas, right? Parts aren't available at Walmart. They're Mitsubishi Monteros pick your vintage. It took trips to three stores to find an airfilter in a reasonably sized town in Arkansas and I was certainly shocked that a transmission filter was found at all....

My list of spares will go like this for the future:

Spare airfilter IN A WATERPROOF CONTAINER!----my spare got more wet than the one in the air box....
Spare tie-rods
Computers
Power Steering Pump
MAF
TPS
IAC
Alternator
Starter
All Fluids plus 10% extra.

If I'm going to be on more rocks, I may add CV axles. But I go pretty easy on rocks, plus I hear our trucks' axles are stout.

I'm not sure what your point is...you came off as pretty full of yourself though. ;) My favorite area to explore is Death Valley and that area of the CA/NV desert (Panamint/Amargosa/Argus ranges). So, I'm quite frequently over half day travel from a source that's going to have any replacement parts at all, with no services for several miles, no phone coverage, usually no water source, and on roads or trails inaccessible to passenger cars or recovery services.

No, changing the oil isn't really something that's on my list before every trip...that would be really wasteful and expensive. It gets changed when it's dirty. Seeing as how I replaced the frame of the truck in my garage, I'm intimately familiar with the condition of every nut, bolt, fitting, hose, line, wire, and connector from bumper to bumper. Since I had it completely disassembled, before each weekend trip I put it up in the air, take the wheels off, and go front to back, checking to make sure everything is snug and "mission capable." I do the same thing at oil changes - I use these as chances to check other things over.

Don't let your engine rebuild give you a false sense of security - you should still check things before heading out into the wilderness. And if you "replaced all worn components before your first trip," why do you feel the need to carry a spare truck with you?! We aren't in covered wagons trekking west in the 19th century. You aren't going to snap your oxen's yoke every 100 miles.

If the truck is solid enough for daily driving, it's going to be solid enough for most trail runs as well. If I'm going to be gone longer than normal, or on a more difficult trail than normal, or farther into the wilderness than normal, I always have a bug-out plan and I pack and plan accordingly. If something is questionable, I bring a spare and the tools to change it, just in case...until I find a convenient time to correct it at home.

These are reliable trucks - you make it sound like you're off-roading in a Model T. The CV's weren't mentioned because of breaking them on rocks, btw. It was more in the event of tearing a boot and dirt getting into the bearings. Once a boot is torn, I tend to carry a spare axle until it's convenient to replace the axle at home with a new one.

Though, I guess if you're wheeling in a place like Arkansas where people can't spell "Mitsubishi", let alone get parts for them - you're going to have to be a little more careful. ;)

You're right, I am certainly full of myself... no room for anyone else in this scrawny, overzealous body...

Bickering aside, I've gotten over my nativity of thinking things don't break on older (or newer) vehicles. I've been stranded on trips with parts sitting on the shelf at home. Stuff breaks, they're machines and components made by humans. They're all bound to fail at the most inopportune times. And I don't about you, but I'd rather not hike out of BFE with my kids on my back. The peace of mind brought by having a few pounds worth of spares is fine by me.... not sure why yall are against being prepared.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The transmission requires 7.8 qts. I found that about 5-6 qts were used when changing the fluids without draining the transmission cooler.

I guess the biggest issue is space and weight. But for me, the vehicle is a system and most all of the parts are integral to the overall function of the vehicle. I'd rather replace the PS pump on the trail than burn up my steering rack. I'd rather replace the MAF in 10 minutes than worry about poor fuel economy and rough idling. Or break a tie rod and be unable to steer. For you guys who wheel within walking distance of your home yall can do that! :ylsmoke:

Yeah I know it takes more fluid. I've never seen a situation where more than that 4 quarts are required. Since others in my group also carry at least a quart, its not been a concern really. In fact, there's only been one time that i can recall when more than a quart has been needed... it was when Lloyd Swartz (on 4x4wire mostly) needed it to get off the trail because the shop who worked on his rig screwed up and didnt check his at cooler lines for rubbing issues and in the drive from Albuquerque to Moab it wore through his lines. We had to keep refilling his tranny until we got back to Moab. Required just over a quart IIRC. Possible a situation could be worse? Sure. Likely? I'm willing to bet and take my chances it won't happen... (Caveat: unplanned water crossings with catastrophic results not included) ;)

As for the steering pump, you have to ask yourself how far you're willing too take this kind of redundancy. As I said, the pumps rarely fail. With an older rig, I'd be sure to check each of these items before going and replace them in advance as needed rather than carry a that spare with your for as much as 200k miles.
Obviously I'm not saying no spares are needed. Just that in this case, a ps pump shouldn't ever be.

Sean, I think the reason he's now an expert can likely be explained on his other thread discussing a recent trip.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I guess my philosophy can be stated more plainly, these are machines and stuff breaks. Some just break sooner than others...

The thing that breaks will almost ALWAYS be the one thing you didn't bring. The only way you'll cover all your bases is to tow a spare parts car behind you. You have to draw the line somewhere...you can't be prepared for everything, no matter how you over-pack. I'm the guy backpacking with a 65-lb rucksack because I'm a chronic over-packer on foot. Thankfully, this OCD-inspired habit doesn't totally carry over to my off-roading!

Scan 4x4wire for stories of things breaking on the trail so you have an idea as to what the most common things are. There aren't many, and breakages on these trucks aren't very common. But, this will at least help narrow it down.

One thing I've noticed people overlook is ways to patch leaks. They carry a LOT of fluids, but without regard to how the fluid was lost in the first place, and without proper items to patch up whatever started leaking in the first place. All the oil in the world won't help you if you smashed a hole in the oil pan with no means to fix it. You can have 7 gallons of coolant, but it's worthless if you can't repair the burst hose.

Belts and hoses are probably the most common breakages, and don't take up much cargo space. I didn't see them on your list.

RU55ELL

Explorer
When I think of critical spares, I think of what could spontaneously stop working under normal circumstances, having nothing to do with maintenance. In my opinion, electronics that would leave a vehicle dead in its tracks would be included. For them, as far as I know, there is no getting around them. In other circumstances, such as Scott's, a much greater number of things could have been broken and it not be able to limp to town. But of course, that circumstance was largely unforeseen. If you think of critical spares in such a situation, the list would have been much longer. But even if you think of critical, I think the list is still shorter than Scott's list.

Like I said, my definition of critical is that there is NO way the truck is going anywhere without it. Using that viewpoint, you could mark off air filter, power steering pump, MAF, alternator (if with a second vehicle, which Scott has already experienced in a past trip). Yeah, there may be more difficulty getting back to town, but you won't be completely immobilized. I think there is just some confusion between what is critical and what are common things that could break. Yeah, you could break a CV if you got a little wild on the rocks. Are you dead in the water without it? No. Therefore, I wouldn't consider it critical. Many breaks can be fixed with some odds and ends and some creativity.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
also depends on he kind of trails you're on. For some of the trails I'm on, 2wd won't cut it unless you have a friend drag you through.:Wow1:

Also for a gen 2, if he doesn't have manual hubs, a broken CV could be a show stopper or cause more damage depending on how it broke since its a central axle disconnect setup versus auto locking hub design. The axles always spin in gen 2 Montero. Not pn a gen 1 & not sure about the gen 3s or the sports.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I'm not very Montero savvy and wasn't aware of that issue. You also make a good point. Your list may very well change due to specific circumstances. Being stuck in 2wd isn't a showstopper if you have someone that can drag you through or at least give you a ride to town for parts. Therefore, I wouldn't consider the CV critical (in that circumstance). If you were alone, the CV would be considered critical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears