Critical Spares List: Discovery I

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Wa? Now, wait just a minute here. I mention once in a while how I don't really think that the RRC/Disco/DiscoII/Etc. isn't a very reliable expedition platform and ya'll jump on my like stink on poop. Now I see this thread with $6000 lists and piles of spare parts to bring along? Sumpin' don't add up!

:)

Ah, I feel your pain. There was this one trip in my RRC when that truck ate $3000 worth of parts before I got home. 10k miles, $1k in gas, $3k in parts!

It's not that they're unreliable, it's that some of these guys wheel pretty hard, and like to be extra prepared.

Or you can just use distilled water to rinse them. That's what I did when I drowned my truck out many years ago. It did the trick just fine. Plus it's useful as coolant, drinking water, etc.

I've never tried that, but I could see how it would work. Still, the electrical cleaner is a small can. And it has the dual-use of being a great fire starter. ;)

But yeah, if you're stuck and don't have cleaner, just rinse it off with the cleanest water you have, and set it somewhere warm to dry out. I put mine on the hood for about 15 minutes, and the hood blackout made it really warm in the sun. The key point is just to get it unplugged from electricity ASAP, and get it clean and dry.

I'm doing some investigation into either a Conformal Coating or Potting Compound so I don't have to worry about it anymore anyway.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have updated the list with some suggestions. The critical (minimal) spares list is pretty reasonable in size and cost.

The more comprehensive list, IMO can be mostly eliminated with predictive maintenance and having some redundant systems. For example, I probably do not need a starter (manual trans.) and don't need an alternator (I have solar panels). I also do not intend to bring extra axles, as I am upgrading to HD units. My steering is all new or rebuilt. Just some running thoughts.

What I am most concerned about are the things that completely strand you, and without warning. If I can limp into the next town, I can likely arrange transport to a bigger town, and then get the parts locally or shipped in.

There was also a suggestion to remove the Hi-Neutral interlock on the t-case. Do all years have that (I am assuming it is a servo of sorts)?

Thanks to all who helped with the list. Once we get one done for the DII, RRC and Defender, we will consolidate into one thread and make it a sticky.

benlittle

Adventurer
Yea... I personally wouldn't remove the trans solenoid. I did however remove the tcase solenoid all together.

Multimeter.

IMO electrical problems are a killer. I'm an electrical moron so that may add to my discomfort.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I've had a cheezy grin in my face reading this thread. :)

My first thought was, man they need a trailer to haul all the spares they need.

Then I though, no it would be better if they just had a "spares" vehicle towed behind them.

Then I remembered Andrew Walcker's signature " 90% of all Land Rovers are still on the road, 10% made it home". A picture came into my head, a Disco towing a "spares" Disco, towing a trailer full of spare parts. Sort of like an Australian "Land Train"

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have updated the list with some suggestions. The critical (minimal) spares list is pretty reasonable in size and cost.

The more comprehensive list, IMO can be mostly eliminated with predictive maintenance and having some redundant systems. For example, I probably do not need a starter (manual trans.) and don't need an alternator (I have solar panels). I also do not intend to bring extra axles, as I am upgrading to HD units. My steering is all new or rebuilt. Just some running thoughts.

What I am most concerned about are the things that completely strand you, and without warning. If I can limp into the next town, I can likely arrange transport to a bigger town, and then get the parts locally or shipped in.

There was also a suggestion to remove the Hi-Neutral interlock on the t-case. Do all years have that (I am assuming it is a servo of sorts)?

Thanks to all who helped with the list. Once we get one done for the DII, RRC and Defender, we will consolidate into one thread and make it a sticky.

I think the thread would be most useful if you broke it down into 2 or 3 groupings, instead of having just 1 list. At the least, include 1 list for stuff that is likely to leave you stranded if you're simply doing dirt roads, etc. And another list to include typical "wheeling" failures, your axles, driveshafts, etc.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think the thread would be most useful if you broke it down into 2 or 3 groupings, instead of having just 1 list. At the least, include 1 list for stuff that is likely to leave you stranded if you're simply doing dirt roads, etc. And another list to include typical "wheeling" failures, your axles, driveshafts, etc.

We did that. . . Does that not come across clear?

muskyman

Explorer
I can fit all my spares and tools in a single 1650 peli. I have yet to find anything that stranded me in my disco ever.

I have also yet to find the land Rover situation I could not sort out on the trail.

None rover people can chuckle and take what ever they want from this thread I guess. In the end I still prefer a rover and thats why I own one(three). I really dont sweat break downs at all while out exploring and anyone that wants to dedicate a bit of time and brain power can learn to keep one running in a very reliable way.

JSQ

Adventurer
For a trip with more than one vehicle I prioritize field spares as follows from most to least important:

1. STEERING

2. STOPPING

3. RUNNING

4. COOLING

This may seem like simple stuff, but it's not.

Most people, including the ones in this thread get it backwards. They're all about having a starter or alternator and they have no TREs. If you have another vehicle to extract you (preferrably two) then all you really have to be able to do is steer. It won't be pretty with steering alone, but you will get out. Dealing with a vehicle that has lost steering is next to impossible. If you're still running around with stock steering links I hope it's just to the store and back. Tires go in with steering. Remember, tire failures are still the most common offroad issue. I can't believe how many people still don't carry valve stems. Rookies.

Braking comes next because if someone is doing the good deed of pulling you along miles of trail it's nice to be courteous enough not to run into them. This is where the Land Rover powertrain actually affords you an advantage. The t-case drum brake is a very good, completely secondary, system for stopping the truck. That said, once you take driveshafts, halfshafts and CVs out of the equation that capacity is diminished.
So think about that. A u-joint may not just help you go, it may help you stop.

Getting your truck to start and run comes well after those two unless you are alone. Within this category we can further order and separate what makes your truck run and what makes it run well. That's why a crank sensor beats out the IAC. A truck can be pretty unhappy and still drive down the trail, particularly in low-box. Furthermore if you're having a running issue, but the engine is turning, LET IT RUN. Don't go shutting the thing down to diagnose, unless you know have a hell of a hunch. Keep it going. This is especially true with a gasoline EFI fuel delivery issue. It may be angry, but if you shut it down you may not get it started again.

Your last priority is keeping the engine wet. Yes, even your POS sleeve-slipping Buick 215 aluminum V8 powerplant. The truck can run without any cooling capacity other than radiation if it has to. Not for long stretches, but you can limp it for months if you're careful.

If you want to be minimalist, stop thinking in terms of pounds and size and follow these guidelines to select only what you need to make it out. This is the KISS principle for fourwheel spares. It keeps the count low and the bulk is left to necessity.

That said, in a gasoline Land Rover I bring everything that could be helpful.
Why? Because this is no ultra high speed low drag machine. It's a Land Rover. It's 5,000lb plus vehicle. You think even 200lbs in spare parts is going to make the difference? It's not.
I don't bring all the spares imaginable because the truck HAS to have a VSS to run, but because a lot of this stuff will angry up your trip in a hurry. Furthermore, there are plenty of people who maintain their truck, bring along the minimum and then when they have an issue, turn around and go home.
I'm not into that. I'd much rather have the right spare and keep on rolling and complete my trip.
Think about that again.
If I have an extra CV I can keep right on going down the challenging route I set out to do. If I have a fuel pump I can keep driving under my own power. And if my TPS goes bad i'm not sweating whether I need to turn around and go back. I'm not averse to wrenching a little on the trail. In fact, despite the lack of a lift and clean floor I enjoy it. I'd rather be out somewhere remote and beautiful changing a CV than limping back home to do it at the shop.
It's part of the fun.

Dusy%2006%20016.jpg

DSC_0456.JPG

DSC_0851.JPG

rubicon001%20181.jpg

rubicon001%20297.jpg

rubicon001%20340.jpg

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_0675.jpg

P1010069.JPG

P1010256.JPG

muskyman

Explorer
I'm not averse to wrenching a little on the trail. In fact, despite the lack of a lift and clean floor I enjoy it. I'd rather be out somewhere remote and beautiful changing a CV than limping back home to do it at the shop.
It's part of the fun.

I have to agree 100%, some of my best memories on trips were break down related.

I have told people for years and years that dont get why I like this stuff so much that it is because 4 wheelin is a thinking mans hobbie. People dont really get that until they are in a spot and they see what a few really creative heads can come up with to get out of that spot.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have also yet to find the land Rover situation I could not sort out on the trail.
Same here (knock wood). Even the thrown rod I could have dealt with on the trail. But luckily it happened in someone's driveway so I didn't have to. LOL

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
One thing I didn't see mentioned was Permatex Form-A-Gasket No. 2 and PVC electrical tape. The two work well to repair coolant hose leaks. I once repaied a radiator hose by smearing on the form-a-gasket then wrapping it with electrical tape. It had no leaks for the several years use until I replaced the hose. It was an 88 we used on the farm so I wasn't in any rush to replace the hose.

lwg

A little off-topic but still applies.

The worst breakage I've seen was when a participant at the National Rally broke his steering box immediately after dropping into a 9+ rated trail. No way to plan for something like that.

Keith Kreutzer took the bull by the horns and with the assistance of many folks and their tools he was able to re-weld the sheared sector shaft back together. The owner then limped the truck out of the trail. It was shear luck that another participant had a used Steering Box he was trying to unload. Both parties ended up very happy.

After that I felt that with a minimum of tools and a good attitude that just about any obstacle can be overcome.

Probably the second worst would've been in Las Cruces, NM when someone broke their panhard rod. Just about as bad as a steering box. Jim Pendleton welded it up with two batteries, jumper cables and some welding rod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle