Crossing Continents: Africa with the Grenadier

Scott Brady

Founder
I just arrived in Cape Town with the Grenadier, and am so looking forward to meandering my way north. It has been far too long since I posted a trip to the forum (sorry). I arrived in Joburg at the end of June, and have enjoyed a few weeks of exploring the country, then picking up the Grenadier in Durban. Here are a few updates so far, starting back in London. :)

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 11.11.22 PM.jpg
Testing the Grenadier at Millbrook proving grounds in the UK, before shipping it from the port in Southampton, England.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I first took delivery of the Grenadier in London, at the Ineos HQ right in the city. Time to shake of the RHD cobwebs right in one of the most traffic congested cities in Europe/UK, LOL
IMG_4544.JPG
Wouldn't be right not to tag the car minute one ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 50

Scott Brady

Founder
While in in the UK, I was able to use the Grenadier is a general travel vehicle, exploring the history and small village of England.
IMG_4725.JPG
England wouldn't be complete without a proper English Breakfast

IMG_4711.JPG
A drive along the southern coast to Devon

IMG_4641 (1).JPG
I parked the Grenadier in front of the Grenadier pub!

IMG_4644.JPG
And had the classic Beef Wellington

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Are there any mods to the vehicle for the Africa trip or will it be bone stock?

Scott Brady

Founder
Are there any mods to the vehicle for the Africa trip or will it be bone stock?
We added a Front Runner 3/4 rack so we can use the safari windows in the game parks (it is also quieter on wind noise) and then mounted a 40 liters of fuel in jerry cans to the rack, along with 4 Maxtrax. We put 20 liters of water up there too, which has a hose for showering. In the back, we installed a simple aluminum frame that supports a sleeping platform and stows four boxes underneath. Otherwise, the Grenadier is stock.

I have considered changing to mud tires for West Africa, but would swap those out after I meander around East Africa for a bit. The vehicle has the factory red winch fitted, along with the factory raised air intake.

Scott Brady

Founder
After a few days traveling around the UK, I had the great joy of being able to see Tom Sheppard again, which was both humbling and enlightening. I hope to be half as healthy as he is in his 80s. It has been my highlight of 2023, and he even agreed to an interview. Tom is the author of the Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide (you can also buy them from Jonathan Hanson who is the co-author here)
IMG_4737.JPG

His Renegade is awesome, and set up for Algeria. When he isn't driving that, he rides his BMW310 motorcycle - legend.
IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Its always a good time wandering about. So often we are constricted to a limit, a hard end date. This is better than not doing the thing, but of course comes with its own specific challenges. Of having to go faster. No matter where I have been, or how long I have been there. It seems like wanting more time, is a consistent urge. Being able to just point and go, with minimal hard dates. That is a completely different type of travel. Enjoy the drive.

pkripper

Wow, really excited for this trip. Waiting on delivery and absolutely loved the vehicle after our test drive. Hope you have a great adventure. Safe travels.

Scott Brady

Founder
I arrived in South Africa at the end of June, but there were a few weeks of delays with the issuance of the Carnet de Passage from Cars.uk. This gave me a chance to borrow a Hilux from Eezi-Awn and meander about the bushveld! The new Hilux is so good, and feels as robust and reliable as ever. 2023-07-30(7).jpgDSC07674.JPGIMG_5666.JPG2023-07-30(8).jpg2023-07-30.jpg
2023-07-30.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
After a few weeks of delays, I got an update that the carnet had been delivered to AfricanTransit in Durban, so I grabbed the next available flight and made the quick trip from Joburg. They also needed my signature on the CDP, so I needed to go there anyways.
Importing is a challenging business, so using a customs agent is always worth every penny, and is cheap when compared with extended delays.
IMG_5694.JPGbb991210-5e46-46b3-8597-7fc231592b56.jpg
Happy Scott when finally reunited with the Grenadier

IMG_5699.JPG
I was able to connect with the "Beer Troopy" and author of the Beer Book. Always enjoy meeting other travelers.
IMG_5715.JPG
Ineos has an importation facility near Durban and it was so cool to see rows and rows of Grenadiers getting ready for delivery in Sub-Saharan Africa. I also needed to drop off the full-length roof rack, as I decided to go with a 3/4 rack (more on why soon).

IMG_5730.JPG
Because it was the weekend, I was able to meander my way back to Joburg and drove through the Drakensberg on some beautiful roads and tracks, and even got in a 12km hike :)

IMG_5756.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior