Crossing Continents: Africa with the Grenadier

Scott Brady

Founder
We stopped at this interesting lodge called Bakkrans, run by an energetic and eclectic (in all the good ways) Turkish man Ozzie. It was a 14 mile 4low trek back to the overlook. The accommodations are intentionally simple, but have hot water and solar lighting. It was perfect for those that enjoy remote lodges.
DSC07957-Enhanced-NR-20230727.jpgDSC07959-Enhanced-NR-20230727.jpgDSC07969-20230727.jpgDSC08007-20230727.jpgDSC08035-20230727.jpgDSC08052-20230727.jpgIMG_5999.JPG

Scott Brady

Founder
We had a fun sendoff in Cape Town at the House of Machines
DSC04665.jpg
DSC04670.jpg
DSC04682.jpg
Before leaving town, I spent some time with my good friend Paul Marsh, one of the most accomplished vehicle upfitters and overland trainers on the planet. You can hear his story on the podcast: https://expeditionportal.com/overland-journal-podcast-episode-158/
DSC04767.jpg

While in Cape Town, we were able to stop by the AluCab facility. An impressive operation and they are genuine enthusiasts.
DSC05211.jpg

Continuing south, we arrived in Cape Town for a little sendoff party at the House of Machines. Then a meander east to Cape Agulhas, the Southernmost point on the African Continent

DSC05306.jpgDSC08066-20230802.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
After leaving Cape Agulhas, we meandered up the east cape towards the Mozambique border.
DSC08098-20230803.jpg

Between Joburg and Cape Town, we had amassed a bunch of gear, tools, and spares, all needing to be properly organized and stowed. So we took a long afternoon to pull literally everything out of the Grenadier and slowly put everything back in with a system both Joe and I could manage. We took advantage of every cubby and even the space under the rear seats. We also focused on getting as many of the heavy items as possible behind the front seats and down in the footwells. This included all tools, recovery gear, compressor, etc. It always feels so good to have an organized vehicle.
DSC05630.jpgDSC05638.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The organization of kits, is so often overlooked. It can make or break a trip, not only in an emergency. But even just when the weather is bad, and you have to soak everything and yourself to find the matched/fire starter...

Scott Brady

Founder
The organization of kits, is so often overlooked. It can make or break a trip, not only in an emergency. But even just when the weather is bad, and you have to soak everything and yourself to find the matched/fire starter...
So true. Can you get access to emergency equipment quickly? Keeping recovery equipment, first aid, and emergency communications immediately accessible is often overlooked.

hotpants

I'm curious as to why you're not just heading up the west coast. Given the situation in Sudan seems the most likely to succeed route at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior