CRown King Az Dec 14th

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I should have posted this earlier, but we're 4 wheeling the backroad to Crown King from North Phoenix December 14th. Meetup is at the Chevron off of the I17 at the Exit for Lake Pleasant at 8am. This is a Mitsu 4x4 Event but other makes are welcome as well, the trail starts in the desert but expect snow near the top. Trail can be done in a stock rig with an experienced driver (or inexperienced if you're willing to be coached).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've done that route before, south to north. It's mostly road, but there are some fun parts, also the saloon in Crown King is the last remaining open prostitution house in AZ :)

The trail is mostly dirt road (various conditions of grading and repair), but there are some sections of rocky wash, and a really fun section of slot canyon with fast sand. You'll also pass the final resting site of Isaac Bradshaw, yes the founder of the Bradshaw trail east of San Diego. Man got around apparently.

Some photos:

Near Crown King:
Expoordition-Day06-01-X2.jpg

Rocky bits
IMG_4075-X2.jpg

Slot Canyon
IMG_4068-X2.jpg

The terrain
IMG_4058-X2.jpg

The Bradshaw grave
IMG_4049-X2.jpg

the south end of the trail is less well kept
IMG_4004-X2.jpg

The cactus in the area is amazing!
Cactuus_Panorama-3200-X3.jpg

Toasty

Yup easy trail, bypasses for everything "hard" for the most part BUT near the end of the year it can get a little gnarly in a stock rig. They grade it in the spring usually and if the monsoons brought in enough rain the trail gets washed out a bit plus a summer's worth of people rutting it out with lesser capable rigs make it more challenging. We're bringing a bunch of stock rigs so if any of you Az guys want to cut your teeth this would be the trip to go on, lots of new guys and most all of the original Az Crew with a bunch of built rigs.
This is a special event for us too, we are having some guests from Europe along for the ride and doing a feature in GearboxMagazine because even YOU can go halfway around the world and go wheeling with a bunch of dudes you don't even know.:sombrero:

Tim making it look easy with 37's, gears and lockers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtYk5YMSBVY

Toasty

Pics

Good times, I broke some CV's turning in dirt but that's what i get from having low profile bumpstops and being too lazy to let my front locker disengage. Did i mention running shorter bumpstops greatly decreased the strength of your TRE's and CV joints :)

The trail was really easy, can be done in a good 2wd truck with 31's if you take the bypasses for the obsticals. We had 8 Monteros and 15 trucks total, a lot of guys just getting into 4 wheeling or on their first time out on the trail ever. Made some new friends and had good times.

Attachments

• G0720325.JPG
    G0720325.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 5
  • G0670303.JPG
    G0670303.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 6
  • G0650295.JPG
    G0650295.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 6

Toasty

http://www.piratepathy.com/blizzard/index.php/Toasty/CK-2013 Here's the link to the pictures i took, hopefully others will have some better stuff i didn't take many pictures. We're going to step it up a notch for the next trip with better challenges and less bypasses, hopefully get another good turn out with some new guys just getting the wheeling fever. Talk is doing Log Corral trail, i'll post up details as they come.

Toasty

Johnny's pics

Attachments

• DSC02813.jpg
    DSC02813.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02819.jpg
    DSC02819.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02823.jpg
    DSC02823.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02828.jpg
    DSC02828.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02832.jpg
    DSC02832.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02833.jpg
    DSC02833.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02837.jpg
    DSC02837.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02839.jpg
    DSC02839.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 7

Toasty

Actually i forgot we had one more Montero not pictured, 1989 2 door v6 in that bright blue color. 2 guys had to bail out on the trip, would have been cool to see 11 Montero's out on the trail. One day we'll get the 25-30 or what ever out on a trip or at least a meeting

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Just got my new (to me) Monty, will definitely go on the next trip there - dont forget to post it up when its scheduled!

Toasty

Az Crew
This is our local Montero forum

Will you just happen to be in Az or did you move here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan