Crowsnest Pass Alberta, Canada - Feb 2013

rickashay

Explorer
Just posted this over on T4R.org however I thought I would share over here as well. Ignore the @usernames...

Now it's my turn for a photo dump. I thought I'd try doing a more "narrative" approach to our run yesterday as I kind of enjoy it sometimes...and I wouldn't want all of my University english skills to go to waste. haha

7AM rings my alarm: "I don't wannnna get up this early on a Sunday... oh wait, I'm going wheeling!"

Within 15 minutes I've got coffee in the press and food in my belly. My teeth are brushed and I'm outside chattering them in the -15C morning chill. The Duster brings life to it's combustion chambers with the turn of my new Toyota Transmitter Key courtesy of [MENTION=36886]Victor[/MENTION]. (it doesn't actually transmit, it just feels cool when you turn it on... hahah) I load the last remnants of my gear into the cargo bay of the 4Runner as the motor rises to operating temp. My dog complains at his early start to the day and the cold biting at his skin under his short coat of fur. He complains now, but he'll soon be satisfied by the copious amounts of snow for him to frolic in.

The destination for the day is the Crowsnest Pass, Alberta. My "typical" wheeling location, but despite my numerous attempts to grow bored of it's character, I simply keep returning in search of adventure and new terrain. I set the cruise @ 105 km/hr to try and make the most of the Shell dinosaur juice in my tank and head for the hills.

20120210-IMG_0681.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The day looks promising but some of the looming clouds make me question how long my luck will last as weather in the Crowsnest can change in minutes. Despite my attempts at meeting the group on-time @ 9:30am I run slightly late due to icy road conditions that force the Duster, on it's knobby tires, to slow to a snails crawl of 80km/hr. Nevertheless, I arrive 10 minutes late to meet smiling faces and the sun still shines brightly overhead. After a few words from my fellow comrades, it appears as though the fog had just rolled out and The Pass had received a slight dusting of snow overnight. I top up the tank and we head to our air-down spot.

20120210-IMG_0696.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

As I sit waiting for my tires to relieve themselves to the 11 PSI mark, I can't help but notice how picture perfect this day is becoming...

20120210-IMG_0695.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

After doing a walk around of each others vehicles and pointing out the newest "mods" we all hop in our respected carriages and head for the trail.

20120210-IMG_0705.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I run this particular short and easy trail almost every time I come out here. It's always pretty and always gives a good expectation to the conditions of the terrain that we will face for the upcoming day. Today was no different, we were faced with small but increasing amounts of snow as we progressed, telling us what was to come.

David crawling into the first creek crossing:

20120210-IMG_0709.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

All those pretty little details - fresh snow flakes on top of the ice:

20120210-IMG_0714.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20120210-IMG_0722.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

We make our first stop to check out a small waterfall and our usual summer camp spot. (Sorry no pics... they were all over-exposed.) Furthering our conversations with one another and making a few 4Runner vs. FJ jokes we get ready to press on after Marc [MENTION=66300]Intruder[/MENTION]) checks his jerry cans:

20120210-IMG_0726.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20120210-IMG_0727.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The next little obstacle has proven difficult before in the winter months, but nothing a couple built 4Runners and a magazine-worthy FJ (my photos do not do this rig ANY justice) can't handle. I'm running point so I'm up first. The obstacle is a river crossing that lies at the base of a small valley or ditch. a short drop-in, cross the river, and claw your way up and over the ice ledge to get out. Seems easy enough but the ice is definitely not the most tacky surface. I roll down into the creek and bump my front tires up the ice-ledge on the opposing side. I realize if I would have stayed left it would be more of a gradual bump-up, but negate this realization as I want to try for the harder line. Now with some gusto, I try and bump the rear up. No dice. Two more times open and still no dice. I push the magic orange button that many of us around here have come to love. First attempt locked. Fail. My radio crackles to life as the others behind me suggest taking the other line to the left. I will ignore their suggestions unless I can't get it on this next attempt. I back further up and give it the beans. My dog bounces in the air as the rear of the Duster gives the ice a hard bump and the MTZ's claw at the ice. I'm up and on my way. The other two follow suite with much less difficulty than I.... I like to think that I smoothed it out for them.

You can see the ~2ft ice drop as Marc approaches:

20120210-IMG_0730.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20120210-IMG_0731.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

We continue on with a good rate of progress, but with each of us stopping somewhere to intake the beauty of this truly epic day in the mountains.

20120210-IMG_0735.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

My SCS F-5's looked purdy all day! (@SCSPerformance) I was scared to scratch them... haha

20120210-IMG_0738.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
It was around this point we noticed the snow conditions changing as the heat of the day was starting to bring more grip to the snow. It was transitioning from cold, light, fluffy powder to a more wet "snowball" mix. The light powder is awesome, but it doesnt allow much for grip.

20120210-IMG_0743.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

David's FJ looking pretty terrible in comparison to the two 4Runners... hahah

20120210-IMG_0748.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Our destination for lunch requires us to cross a ditch that rises into a medium sized berm. Again, sounds easy but the light snow won't pack and the ditch is about 3 feet deep. I give it a few tries to no avail. I ask the 4.88 gears, f/r air lockers, and Hutchinson Beadlocks wrapped in 35" MTZ's @ 5 PSI to give it a shot.... no dice. It's time to break out the recovery gear. We run the FJ's winch to a solid nearby tree. Using the Warn's 9000 lbs of pulling strength, the FJ is up and over in no time with just a minor scrape of the rear bumper as he climbs out of the ditch and up the berm. Now that we have an anchor on the destination-side, the two 4Runner's step up to the plate. We run a recovery strap from my frame-mounted tow points to the FJ's rear recovery points. We "plan" that I will slightly drag at an angle, slightly off-camber, and eventually pull out of the ditch and up and over the berm. Fast forward 30 seconds, and I find myself in a precarious situation where things are starting to get a little "tippy".

20120210-IMG_0763.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20120210-IMG_0762.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

With me being stuck inside the Duster, I'm forced to let the other kind people in my group, grab my shovel and remove the chunk of ice that appears to be denting my drivers side door. After the ice is cleared and we confirm that no real door damage was made, Marc hooks up to my CBI and gives me a pull in the reverse direction. I'm free once again.

20120210-IMG_0750.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

This time we attack the ditch at a more perpendicular angle and David runs the FJ winch off of a tree, through a pulley, and onto my front recovery points. This allows a better direction of pull and a lot more control. A few bumps of the winch and I'm up and over, now getting my camera out to watch Marc follow suit.

20120210-IMG_0767.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

4Runner snow plow? Cool, I want one!

20120210-IMG_0778.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The winch doing work and getting Marc over the berm. (no, we weren't winching while I was taking this... stay clear of recoveries when in operation. The last thing I want/need is a broken shackle embedded into my skull.)

20120210-IMG_0784.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Ahhhhh, lunch time:

20120210-IMG_0786.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20120210-IMG_0789.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

We stop for a short bite to eat. My coffee comes out and revives my tired mind and eyes as I wish I had went to bed earlier the following evening... but that's another story. The dogs catch some fresh air and play in the snow, well my dog runs around frantically as he eats the snow, and we decide our course for the afternoon.

We were immedietly provided with a nice decent into the valley bottom. In the last 1/2km the volume of snow under our tires had increased dramatically and it was apparent that forward travel would be difficult and possibly limited. With gravity at our backs, we run the decent.

20120210-IMG_0795.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I'm still running the lead position but the snow is proving too much for my small 33's. I speak to David in the FJ and tell him we need the "big guns" up front to help pack the trail. The FJ moves into rotation and heads down into the next creek crossing. This one is reminiscent of earlier, but with a steeper, powdery slope to climb out of. Too much sideways slippage will put your vehicle over the edge and into a bank of fallen trees. The FJ struggles to climb it but we watch in amazement as he inch-by-inch crawls through the fresh 2-1/2 ft of powder. As the locked rear wheels rotate and attempt momentum, the FJ begins creeping toward the dreaded edge and bank of trees. Just before we start yelling at him to re-adjust, the FJ pops up the creek bank and continues forward with ease. Marc is now up in the 5th Gen. He chooses a perfect line that starts further left but requires him to bump-up and make a HARD 90 degree turn as soon as the truck makes it out of the creek. He attempts it a couple of times with no luck. He locks it up and gives it a little more juice and makes it look easy. I follow the 5th gen's line and tactics and hit it with a little speed the first time. Watching the two vehicles ahead of me a moment earlier proved useful, and I was over on my first attempt.

We travelled another 1/2 a km or so and we confronted with a climb that was simply too steep and too dangerous for any forward progress. Unfortunately my photos of this portion of our journey were lacking due to my feet wanting to stay in the 4Runner's heated footwells. We decide that we are already satisfied with this gorgeous day, and turning back a little early will give us some time to play in the fresh powder on a shorter trail that is close by. We head back to try and make the road at a decent hour.

David tackling the above mentioned creek bed in reverse. Looks pretty tame, but pics don't do it justice!

20120210-IMG_0806.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Back up the hill:

20120210-IMG_0827.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Marc showing this ice shelf who's boss as the sun begins to shadow the mountain's valley.

20120210-IMG_0839.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The return trip proved much less exciting but was very relaxing and enabled us to soak in the great views while we made constant forward progress. Albeit there was a few times where the hill climbs heard the Duster's V6 bouncing of the rev limiter to encourage momentum. A wise friend once told me, "it's not winter wheeling without a little braaap braaap." (@Victor)

We arrive at our air-down location and the base of the short "Powerline Trail." It's open, short, and steep but provides fantastic views once at the top. With the amount of snow we had been experiencing we did not expect to make the summit but thought we would give it a go. There was little drama on the way up but it allowed me personally to play with different driving techniques in this type of snow. I did a little two-foot braking while creeping up the steep climb. In theory this will slow your front wheels from spinning or shearing traction. I think it similar, albeit a LOT less low-tech, than Crawl Control that is equipped on the new FJ Trail Team and 4Runner Trail Edition. (Just like Marc's 5th gen pictured in this post.) It's amazing what the traction aids on the new Toyota's are capable of.... pretty cool to see all these gizmo's in action on the trail! Despite my jealousy for such clever traction aids, I poke fun at the two newer Toyota's in our group and am rewarded with equally humorous rebuttals.

20120210-IMG_0856.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Another point I thought about on the long climb, was the usefulness of a crawlbox. [MENTION=9139]steezemcqueen[/MENTION] recent addition has had me salivating at the mouth over the idea. I don't live near the crazy rocks like the Colorado/Utah/Cali guys do, but even in the snow and mud, this device would be insanely useful. I tried to practice this theory on my ascent, keeping the truck JUST above idle and sat back in amazement as the truck slowly but surely, bit into the slippery slope. Now, I know from experience that this will not always be possible and depends on the snow conditions and temperature, but in this particular instance it worked phenomenally... I didn't have a single slip, up the whole side of the mountain!

The final climb of the day is extremely steep and very rocky. The snow on top just makes it that more interesting. My tactic of slow and steady had been working so I applied it onto the final climb. I actually shot a little bit of GoPro footage here which you will all see resurface at a later date. Marc's photo in the post above is actually me cresting the top of this climb.

Our final decent proved super rewarding. We blasted back down the hill at a tremendous pace. The fact that this trail runs up the powerline cut enabled us to have a ton of wide open space to catch fresh powder tracks on the way back down. Reminded me of skiing fresh lines as me and Marc turned our "S" turns into figure 8's.

20120210-IMG_0863.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

David blasting the Fj through the snow:

20120210-IMG_0860.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

One last pic of the two Runner's on the hillside:

20120210-IMG_0870.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

As darkness was now upon us, we strolled into the Fas Gas parking lot where we had met earlier this morning. The cold air stinging my bare hands as I worked with my MV-50 to get my tires back up to 35 PSI. We joked around a little and I tried to convince David, how cool a projector retrofit would be on his FJ.

20120210-IMG_0876.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

There were smiles all around and we all couldn't help but voice how stunning the day had been. Perfect weather, some challenging obstacles, tons of snow, great views, and great fellowship to ice the cake. After a bite to eat and recovery of my keys locked in my truck, we parted ways in eager anticipation of our next Crowsnest Pass trail meet.

/End.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nice job Addison. I didn't know David got a Maggie....

Just to let you know I still hate snow.

tinbasher

Observer
i drive through crowsnest once and awhile and always wanted to explore(i'm usually in a toyota yaris though). nice pictures

flash9588

North American Overland
Beautiful pictures, Crowsnest Pass is a pretty great place to go wheeling, I wheeled the Pass for my bachelor party. I'm curious, your friend with the jerry-cans on top, has he found a spout for that works for those, I'm pretty sure those are princess auto specials.

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks everyone!

This forum keeps me motivated to constantly pursue adventure. Just doing my part to try and pass that feeling forward.

EDIT: Hey Dave, yah he's keeping his FJ. I had a lengthy discussion with him about it actually, and he seems like he has realized how capable and reliable his rig truly is. He doesn't really have a need to sell it and start over.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
EDIT: Hey Dave, yah he's keeping his FJ. I had a lengthy discussion with him about it actually, and he seems like he has realized how capable and reliable his rig truly is. He doesn't really have a need to sell it and start over.

Proof positive that you can talk to a fence-post. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger