Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

I did the 4runner caliper swap on my gold one and haven't been happy with it. Could be an issue with the rears added in, but in damp road "crap I need to stop" braking I found that the front end locked up (with 33s) way to quickly. I know a lot of people seem to do it, but my concern is that it throws the front-rear happiness out of whack. I did like the slotted rotors I bought with better pads though.
Slid thru too many intersections to be totally happy with the caliper swap. May be ok for others, but ask around some before you do it.

Oh and I got a few extra sets of 62 vacuum solenoids if you keep the tcase. FYI.

I just read that the 96 non ABS booster for an 80 series is a direct bolt in upgrade. I'll maybe start there. I did the 4runner caliper upgrade on my previous 62 and wasn't very impressed. Felt a little squishy.... or... had to push the pedal too far to get adequate braking. One thing is for sure, I didn't think the Cruiser's brakes were adequate.

I just upgraded my Monty's rotors and pads to premium name brand stuff and the results are great. Glad I read up on bedding them in too.

EOE4x4

Observer
Yeah, agree on the booster. Thinking about upgrading on my blue one, with better pads and rotors. If you get to it before me, let me know what you think.

The caliper swap might work out better if an adjustable valve for front-back brake distribution was added in with it. I think MAF used to sell one? Those old LPSVs on the 62s are probably mostly worthless by now.

Yeah, I removed the LSPV (load sensitive proportioning valve) on my 87 4runner and plumbed in a manually adjustable proportioning valve. I did the v6 caliper upgrade on it too with new pads and rotors. I didn't get the chance to upgrade the booster though.

We'll see how it goes.... or stops! Need to get the truck running first. Hoping to take it on its maiden voyage this spring/summer.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Get it done and join us for a Baja trip in February 2014. :)

BTW, I will see if I can find your hose today and any other goodies you may need that I don't need. Oh and I have some 80-series axles here I don't want. Cut everything off them, weld on leaf perches and you would be a happy camper! The axles are free + the ride. :)

EOE4x4

Observer
I did the 4runner caliper upgrade on my previous 62 and wasn't very impressed. Felt a little squishy.... or... had to push the pedal too far to get adequate braking. One thing is for sure, I didn't think the Cruiser's brakes were adequate.

That is how I felt too. Like the bigger calipers took a longer time to start braking, then too much braking on the front end when they did. Maybe I'll try the booster upgrade on mine soon and see what happens?
What LPSV did you use on the 4runner, may she rest in peace? :)

Ian's a good chap. Stopped by on his way down to Panama a bit ago. He drank me out of house and home.... oh wait... no that was the other guy. Ian brought his own bottle of rum! :ylsmoke:

I'm trying to source the last few things for the manual transmission conversion. I've started cleaning up the garage again in preps for pulling the cruiser in and yanking the seized motor. Still crossing my fingers that the head in the truck is in good enough shape....

Getting excited to carry on with this project!

I dove into the bottom end of the block. Everything feels gudentite and looks on good. Not much sludge build up either. I've got the oil return screen and pump soaking in solvent to clean it out. Spent a couple hours cleaning the red RTV sealant off of the oil pan.

166791_890649644431_1685371043_n.jpg

I've also started servicing the transmission and transfer case. I'll save you the drab details of the servicing part, but, I did make a couple of ugly cuts on the bracket next to the Tcase shift lever (will clean up on the bench grinder). Now I have 2wd Low Range! I'll be pressure washing the entire tcase and tranny then giving it a coat of industrial enamel.
420314_890632653481_974483139_n.jpg

I've got the garage arranged to be able to pull the truck in to yank out the seized motor and auto trans paper weights.

EOE4x4

Observer
Looking good!
Make sure you get a Toyota gasket for the oil pan. Don't need Oem on everything, but oil pan gasket, head gasket, and tune up are a must. You'll be sad if you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears