Cummins British Military Expedition Truck

roamnshoot

That is not a totally correct statement regarding smog…I have to do smog in Colorado and I would have to smog this vehicle every year In Colorado. States vary on smog & lots of states are getting more strict on diesel engines. So that being said it’s on the buyer to know what is required.
Is your rig 30+? You're right, it does vary state to state.

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
Yes, I have a rig that is 30 years old & diesel. I actually own 3 diesels… Colorado stinks for diesels. Anything 2015 or older must get an emissions test every other year. If it’s 10 years or older a test is required every single year. They go even further & state that if your Door tag must be 26,000 (GVWR) or over to be exempt (which requires a CDL).

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yeah just renewed the reg on my 2013 VW (CO), $85 for emissions testing and then additional emissions fees on the registration part. It's making less and less sense to drive a diesel car anymore. Diesel used to be comparable to gas in price and 50mpg cars were unusual - not so much now

A rig like this, makes perfect sense

Reactions: MSD

Sid Post

Observer
On my last out-of-state (Texas) trip, I saw Diesel at $1.50 more per gallon than gasoline. In rural Texas, older diesels are easier to keep registered. On my 2000 model Dodge, all I need is a clear OBD II scan.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
On my last out-of-state (Texas) trip, I saw Diesel at $1.50 more per gallon than gasoline. In rural Texas, older diesels are easier to keep registered. On my 2000 model Dodge, all I need is a clear OBD II scan.
Here in rural AZ, no inspections required, emissions-wise. You could run a truck on COAL, and no problemo...

I remember this from your first tiny home video- cozy, smart build! Is the box bolted directly to the frame or does it have a zero torsion subframe? What does she weigh fully loaded?

zimm

Expedition Leader
This is a truck that if I had a single reason to own it, it would be an end of year write off. Unfortunately I've sworn of another divorce as un-viable at my age, or it would be in storage as a backup.

b. rock

Aren't diesels older than 1997 exempt in CA?

Also, I saw the note on the 0.67 overdrive - what ratio is in the axles? Meaning, how is it on the highways?

Sid Post

Observer
I'm not in or from California but, I have heard that California law was changed to force all diesels to meet current pollution standards.

I was looking for an older diesel pickup and it was suggested I go there and get one that couldn't be updated cost-effectively. The shop I was working with had recently received 3 engines from California that were pulled from Diesel pickups there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior