Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Life is okay. Everything is broken but small battles are won everyday.

PXL_20221212_000343264 copy.jpg
Can't drive the van anywhere, but friends can drive to the van! Also, the hot tub is still running great. The scenery is getting old though.

PXL_20230123_190951426 copy.jpg
Speaking of hot tubs, the framework for the hot tub walls are getting really annoying living on the floor all the time. Time to find permanent storage for those.

PXL_20230208_134035877 copy.jpg
Thought long time on this. Came up with mounting them all to the ceiling. The pipes snap up into these plastic holders. They are spaced down from the ceiling so now we can use them as a clothes drying rack! Only problem now is that I can't open this cabinet door. Ugh, that's where we keep the snacks!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Been working nonstop. Got lots of stuff done lately. This rig will be back on the road soon...

PXL_20230109_173514868 copy.jpg
This year has been the year of head gaskets. Took the Cummins cylinder head from the van, both cylinder heads from the old GM military truck, and both exhaust manifolds for the van to the machine shop. Apparently, the Cummins cylinder head was not machined properly from the factory. I'm not a machinist, so I'm taking the word from the guy who did them. This was a new cylinder head so not sure what was that. Of course the warranty had already expired on that, so I had to eat that. :mad:

And in case you are wondering, the old GM military truck started right up and is back to work hauling tools and material here and there. Sometimes I do things right!

PXL_20230413_175253354 copy.jpg
Took engine parts from multiple different Cummins engines. Yes, we have acquired more than one. ?‍♂️ Not sure what was what or where things were coming from anymore, nor did I trust anything. Did a bunch of math with piston protrusion and all that jazz and made sure we got the proper cylinder head gasket.

PXL_20230413_211451968 copy.jpg
Doubled and triple checked every nut and bolt for proper factory torque. It's bad that I'm starting to memorize the bolt torques I've collected on my little torque sheet I've made. Locktite and antisieze on all the right hardware. Did valve lash adjustment like four times just to be super sure.

IMG_20230329_185714_933 copy.jpg
Engine version #5 here we go! Wish us luck, send all the prayers this way because we need em!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
We got really good at engine swaps! Can get the engine from the floor in the garage and bolted onto the engine mounts in about 20 minutes!

PXL_20230418_202142855 copy.jpg
But there are always things to slow you down! Snapped a bolt in the cylinder head and had to remove a bunch of stuff, heat it up with the torch after soaking overnight with Aerokroil, drill out bolt, and extract. And of course it came out in three pieces.

PXL_20230419_201325794 copy.jpg
Also had to tackle this mess with the turbocharger. New ones are like $1000, and this is basically a new unit, so we're going to roll the dice.

PXL_20230420_140615212 copy.jpg
Brazed this thing back together. We'll see how it goes! It's just a non pressurized oil drain, so it should be ok?

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 2.13.39 PM.png
Took extra precaution and got the turbocharger balanced and all that jazz! Not many shops around anywhere that do this type of stuff, but found this old timey guy from Jamaica that was able to do it!

PXL_20230421_223257704 copy.jpg
Rewelded the turbocharger oil drain tube to face the oil pan more directly.

PXL_20230423_185045977 copy.jpg
This allowed me to clock the turbocharger so the oil feed is on top right at twelve o'clock.

PXL_20230424_134348293 copy.jpg
Also replaced the old worn out transmission mount. The new mount caused the transmission to sit a tad higher and the body crossmember and floor needed modification. Boy, it just doesn't stop!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Great news! Got everything back together, filled all the fluids up, and what do you know? She started right up! Only had one leak. Me being a dumby put the coolant thermostat seal in backwards. Easy fix, just had to remove a bunch of stuff and flip the seal around. But boy was I ever nervous when I saw coolant dripping from the head gasket area!

PXL_20230424_203201808 copy.jpg
Look, proof! First time she moved in 6 months! Where did she drive to first?

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 9.43.11 AM.png
To church of course for some well needed blessings! Or maybe an exorcism. Time will tell which is the appropriate solution.

Scotty D

That photo of your rig in front of the church really put a smile on my face today
I have a feeling your gremlins have all left the van
If they ever return, maybe try a stained glass porthole window

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh boy. It's been a depressing time lately. It appears the van does need an exorcism. Was driving through the mountains of West Virginia with my copilot lady when all of a sudden the van shot all its oil out the exhaust and lost power. Pulled over, assessed, filled back with oil, limped off the highway. Smoke was everywhere, but that's fine, only a few miles to get to a friends house. Then the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. Ok fine, we'll limp along the shoulder with the hazards on. But of course, the hazards broke. We then gave up and pulled into a Hardee's parking lot. My copilot went in store for some food. She came out and handed me some ice cream to soothe my distress. I go to use the spoon, and of course, the spoon breaks. I give up, what does one do? :cautious:

PXL_20230511_201844336 copy.jpg
The van as it sat in the parking lot. Another blown engine, possible blown transmission, broken hazards most likely a flasher relay, and a broken spoon in which to attempt to eat ice cream with. Called a tow truck for this one. Parked it in yard at friends house, borrowed a car, came back to the van two weeks later. That's where things get worse, way worse...

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Oh boy. It's been a depressing time lately. It appears the van does need an exorcism. Was driving through the mountains of West Virginia with my copilot lady when all of a sudden the van shot all its oil out the exhaust and lost power. Pulled over, assessed, filled back with oil, limped off the highway. Smoke was everywhere, but that's fine, only a few miles to get to a friends house. Then the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. Ok fine, we'll limp along the shoulder with the hazards on. But of course, the hazards broke. We then gave up and pulled into a Hardee's parking lot. My copilot went in store for some food. She came out and handed me some ice cream to soothe my distress. I go to use the spoon, and of course, the spoon breaks. I give up, what does one do? :cautious:

View attachment 793380
The van as it sat in the parking lot. Another blown engine, possible blown transmission, broken hazards most likely a flasher relay, and a broken spoon in which to attempt to eat ice cream with. Called a tow truck for this one. Parked it in yard at friends house, borrowed a car, came back to the van two weeks later. That's where things get worse, way worse...

This stinks to read, why does this crap constantly happen to decent users like you, is there anything we here at the portal can do to help you and your crew??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179