Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
This is beyond sad.

Great people with great talent pushing great ideas.

Exorcism might be too little too late. Time for the crusher? Shed some tears, grieve, and move onward.

I know... so much money involved. And heartache.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Unfortunately "I" hear the same story time and time again with Diesel Powered Old Trucks. They break at the worst time, cost LOT'S of Money to repair and are not very reliable. Your old 7.3 International and 5.9 Cummins are supposed to be simple, reliable and fuel efficient. It sure seems NOTHING could be further from the truth!

YES I own 3 old diesel trucks. One 7.3 PowerStroke and two 5.9 mechanical Cummins!

Given the reliability of modern GAS powered engines, their long life, reasonable fuel mileage and increased towing capacity why buy, install or convert any vehicle to a diesel engine?

Old Habits and Old Opinions die hard!

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Unfortunately "I" hear the same story time and time again with Diesel Powered Old Trucks. They break at the worst time, cost LOT'S of Money to repair and are not very reliable. Your old 7.3 International and 5.9 Cummins are supposed to be simple, reliable and fuel efficient. It sure seems NOTHING could be further from the truth!

YES I own 3 old diesel trucks. One 7.3 PowerStroke and two 5.9 mechanical Cummins!

Given the reliability of modern GAS powered engines, their long life, reasonable fuel mileage and increased towing capacity why buy, install or convert any vehicle to a diesel engine?

Man, plethora has enough problems without your angry little diatribe, get off your high horse.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
This stinks to read, why does this crap constantly happen to decent users like you, is there anything we here at the portal can do to help you and your crew??
Find me someone that can take all these junk engines and build me something reliable!

This is beyond sad.

Great people with great talent pushing great ideas.

Exorcism might be too little too late. Time for the crusher? Shed some tears, grieve, and move onward.

I know... so much money involved. And heartache.

I've contemplated ditching it, but I'm out of money and live in it now!

Find a plot of land and convert it into a tiny home
Haha, that's the current state, but I don't own the land unfortunately.

Time for an LS swap.
Seriously though I thought the 4bt was supposed to be reliable.
I just have bad luck with these junkyard engines.

I'm the first that I've heard problems with these engines. So not sure about that. I'm not going to put an engine that wasn't stock in this rig, that just sounds like even more problems.

What can a group of devoted followers do for you to help your journey !
Hmmm, the next step wold be to find a good Cummins builder to see what's going on and get this rig a dependable engine.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I don't know about that GoFundMe stuff. I'm not one to need handouts. I always feel that fundraiser stuff should go towards actual misfortune, like losing everything in a house fire, or having a child develop cancer. This is minor compared to what others suffer through everyday. I just need to save money and find a good Cummins builder that can us out. But I appreciate the offer!

iggi

Ian
Dude, so bummed to read about your continued motor issues. I appreciate your ethics in regards to the gofundme. But maybe think of it from the perspective of your fans. We've all much enjoyed your posts and we'd hate to see this all come to and end. Just from an entertainment point of view I'd rather get to see you back on the road more than I'd like to see the anything that's in the movie theatre right now.
Here's a whacky idea... Maybe you could do like a real world version of the Million Dollar HomePage? Your rig is a giant canvas. I'd pay a few bucks to put my biz logo on there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I wonder if you were fully funded would the theme of improvisation at the side of the road continue?

Or would you take Uber black to get a new clutch?

It might get kinda boring to read a million pain free miles of trip reports where the biggest issue you face is a dirty truck stop bathroom.

I own an old truck too and get to share my pain reading your well written posts.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Dude, so bummed to read about your continued motor issues. I appreciate your ethics in regards to the gofundme. But maybe think of it from the perspective of your fans. We've all much enjoyed your posts and we'd hate to see this all come to and end. Just from an entertainment point of view I'd rather get to see you back on the road more than I'd like to see the anything that's in the movie theatre right now.
Here's a whacky idea... Maybe you could do like a real world version of the Million Dollar HomePage? Your rig is a giant canvas. I'd pay a few bucks to put my biz logo on there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage
It's all good. I can make money. What I need right now is a way to tow the van from WV over to KY where I have an adequate place to do the engine swap. Also need a good Cummins builder to fix my woes. Crazy about those pixels. I can fit a lot of pixels on the side of this van...

I wonder if you were fully funded would the theme of improvisation at the side of the road continue?

Or would you take Uber black to get a new clutch?

It might get kinda boring to read a million pain free miles of trip reports where the biggest issue you face is a dirty truck stop bathroom.

I own an old truck too and get to share my pain reading your well written posts.

I'm not sure what a uber black is. I make money as needed. And yes, no problems would be boring? But I'd rather to not be broken down so I can drive around and help others more.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It's all good. I can make money. What I need right now is a way to tow the van from WV over to KY where I have an adequate place to do the engine swap. Also need a good Cummins builder to fix my woes. Crazy about those pixels. I can fit a lot of pixels on the side of this van...

I'm not sure what a uber black is. I make money as needed. And yes, no problems would be boring? But I'd rather to not be broken down so I can drive around and help others more.
Could your canoe fit on a UHaul car trailer? If so, you might be able to tow it with a UHaul moving truck the +/- 250 miles you need to go. I’d be as nondescript of your van as possible… some teenager would think cube van… No way… regardless of its size and weight.

Unfortunately it’s further than AAA RV coverage would tow you. If you had a good Cummins to swap in I’d suggest bringing your tools to you or even paying someone else (curse words).

I’ve done brake jobs beside the park while kids were playing soccer. Couldn’t find a good parking lot so I was stopped on the road. Surprisingly, no one seemed to pay any attention… even thought I used an impact to re&re the front wheels. Also replaced CV half shafts… of course in the rain.

Know anyone with a low-bed passing through the area? Anyone?

Scotty D

Moving this is going to require a step deck unless you figure out a way to rig heavy duty hitch to bold onto the front so it could be flat towed

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Moving this is going to require a step deck unless you figure out a way to rig heavy duty hitch to bold onto the front so it could be flat towed
Even then, you'd need an awfully big rig to tow it without brakes... A brake buddy might help some, but I don't think I would without a rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998