Cummins Trouble

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
One more thing. When I had the fiters replaced a couple of months ago, the shop had a hell of a time getting it started again. I thought I was going to have to replace the starter also! Was this a "sign" of things to come?..........Sun

If your lift pump and VP44 are bad now then yes it was a sign of things to come, sure sounds like you will be doing an upgraded lift pump, fuel filter and VP44. I actually check the lift pump on VP44 engines now before I change the fuel filter.:)

Sun2bfre

Observer
If your lift pump and VP44 are bad now then yes it was a sign of things to come, sure sounds like you will be doing an upgraded lift pump, fuel filter and VP44. I actually check the lift pump on VP44 engines now before I change the fuel filter.:)

Hello shortbus4x4, THANKS for the info. I guess I'll go put my checkbook in my tool box. It's probably the best "tool" I've got for this problem. Have a Good One! Sun

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Your situation sucks... I hope it is something simple. I just got incredibly lucky and found a '98 12 valve quadcab which saved me from all the nice 24 valves I was considering. I love the power of the 24s, but times like you are having really test your wallet. Do a FASS, and a fresh VP44 and you will be good to go for many many happy miles.

At least you get to live in Oregon! Go Ducks!

Sun2bfre

Observer
"On the Road Again......." and just $2442.39 for a new lift pump, injector pump and a cool low pressure warning light. UGH, I'm ill but I guess I'll heal up ok. Thanks all for your input...........Sun

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just enjoy it. It might sting now, but you will have lots of worry free driving to look forward too. No wondering if it is going to go out on you in a remote location. Which lift pump did you go with?

blue dog

Adventurer
Best thing you can do is ditch the factory lift pump. install a Fass, airdog or Glacier pump and you will be trouble free. The lift pump is the problem, not the injection pump. If the lift pump fails, the injection pump can still pull fuel under its own power, this wears out the plungers in the injection pump and makes it fail. Basically a new injection pump and aftermarket lift pump and you will have a reliable truck that will not have injection pump problems.

Sun2bfre

Observer
Hi redthies, I went with all Cummins parts and some after market indicator. It sure seems to run a lot better. Like you say, "worry free". I'll get used to it s-l-o-w-l-y. I'm going to do some homework to see if there are any mods I can do to insure more reliablility. The light helps, but what if it goes out? Oh well, no worries for a while......Sun

Sun2bfre

Observer
Hi blue dog, too late now. Most likely later. Is there an after market pump I could install in addition to the OE Just to insure reliability? I seem to recall something frame mounted. I used to have a 454 in a suburban with an electric fuel pump. I think it would pump fuel out of the boat that was being towed! I had to put a regulator on it. Anyway, Thanks for the info....Sun

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If the light goes out or on or whatever it's supposed to do if fuel pressure drops, SHUT IT DOWN! It's too bad you didn't get steered towards a FASS lift pump earlier (or didn't see the steer). They run around $500 as compared with a stock one at $250. The stock one WILL fail. In 6 months or so, you really should do the FASS. It will save you the heartbreak of going through all this again...

bfdiesel

Explorer
My dads 02 is all stock at roughly 200k, so the will fail thing everything will eventually. rethies is right though if it fails in 6 months you may want to look into something different, of course it could go another 15 years too. If you do need a different pump down the road make sure it is a diesel rated pump, not a gas one. There are some that will do both but they usually have a lower gph for diesel, so make sure you are getting what you need.

blue dog

Adventurer
Spend it now on a fass and not worry again. If the factory pump fails again, you run the risk of damage to the injection pump. You do the math $$$$
AHAIN. the vp44 is not the problem and is actually a good pump, it just can not be starved for fuel, UPGRADE the lift pump. The only issue with 2nd gen trucks are the auto trans and the lift pump. FYI, the 09 tie rod upgrade will work on your truck, well worth it.
2nd gen trucks are good trucks. I like the 24 valve, think the dana axles are better then the AAM axles and prefer a nv4500 or nv 5600 over the new manuals. 2nd gen 6 speeds are the holy grail to me, yes they need a few upgrades, but otherwise are great trucks.
Glad your rolling again and enjoy your rig.

Kaisen

Explorer
AGAIN. the vp44 is not the problem and is actually a good pump, it just can not be starved for fuel, UPGRADE the lift pump. The only issue with 2nd gen trucks are the auto trans and the lift pump.

That used to be true.

When Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) became the standard, fuel lubricity was halved. The VP44 relies on fuel to lubricate the internals of the pump. So you're seeing more pump failures from fuel, and not simply failed lift pumps....although the lift pumps can fail from ULSD as well.

A good lift pump, good filters, and good quality lubricity+detergent additives are the keys to long life now that ULSD is here to stay.

blue dog

Adventurer
I agree to a point. Yet i have had 2 24 valves with lots of miles on each running fass pumps and ulsd and never had a injection pump failure. I have had 2 fass pumps on 2 trucks for 9 years and never had a fass fail either. 3rd gen trucks will lose injectors more then a 24 valve will lose a injection pump.
Or, you can p pump the 24 valve and forget about the whole thing.

rb70383

Observer
I am running a walbro EFI pump on my truck. 2nd one so far. First pump made it over 100k miles. I would recommend a fuel pressure gauge, egt and auto tranny temp.

Also As far as ulsd there is a discussion about running 2cycle outboard oil. I did once and the engine actually seemed quieter.

2 cycle oil info
BlueChip diesel VP44 diag

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior