Custom build pop-up camper

otis24

Observer
I looked through the pictures and that was one of the only locations I could think of- no worries of the double sided tape failing?

If you prep well and use something like 3M CV62F there's probably a greater chance of the Plexiglas failing. I have a roll of this stuff that I bonded two pieces of aluminum tube together to see how strong it is. I had to use a vise to separate them.

Scoutman

Explorer
Very cool build. I've been looking at an AT Summit but who knows when a full size long bed version will be available. This definitely gives me some good food for thought. I fabricated my bed rack because there were few options on the market at the time and none really fit what I was looking for. Kudos for taking on a project like this.

My biggest concern would be water leaks. It may not be a problem where you're at but we get a ton of rain in the south. I could see water getting around snaps, the front gasket, joints between extrusions, etc. Water will find a way. I'm curious to see how you wrap this one up. What are your plans for insulation?

I looked through the pictures and that was one of the only locations I could think of- no worries of the double sided tape failing?

There are so many van and camper builds that use glue or tape that I lose more sleep over the 250+ fasteners I have to vibrate lose. If you were super worried you could always add a fastener in each corner so it at least doesn't fly off on the highway ?.

If you prep well and use something like 3M CV62F there's probably a greater chance of the Plexiglas failing. I have a roll of this stuff that I bonded two pieces of aluminum tube together to see how strong it is. I had to use a vise to separate them.

I used a different 3M tape, I did a test piece on 2 piece of aluminum and it takes quiet a bit to get it to start peeling off. I used almost a whole roll for the plexiglass. So it should be on there fairly well. I toyed with attaching the roof with it and a few fasteners for insurance but you'd only have one shot to place it.

Very cool build. I've been looking at an AT Summit but who knows when a full size long bed version will be available. This definitely gives me some good food for thought. I fabricated my bed rack because there were few options on the market at the time and none really fit what I was looking for. Kudos for taking on a project like this.

My biggest concern would be water leaks. It may not be a problem where you're at but we get a ton of rain in the south. I could see water getting around snaps, the front gasket, joints between extrusions, etc. Water will find a way. I'm curious to see how you wrap this one up. What are your plans for insulation?

Thanks, the snaps are a problem area and I'm hoping I don't have a terrible night when I find out they leak. Not sure if anyone else has gathered as many images as me but the GFC has a nice way to mount the snaps but I couldn't think of a way nice way to replicate it without a bunch of work. I haven't figured out exactly how they do it but I think they have a rain channel and it drains some how. Talking with someone else building a camper on the taco forums he introduced me to this polyhinge. I have some on order for the front to help seal it and another piece for the hinge on the back. Joints between extrusions can easily be caulked or a gasket worked in. I added EPDM rubber foam to my end plates on the corners and those work well but I actually found some water intrusion on the backend where the canvas wasn't covering the joint.

Attachments

• IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 85

Scoutman

Explorer
Looking at the AluCab Gen3 tents it seems that they have an upturned lip to the inside of the lid that the fabric rivets to. You could use aluminum angle sealed and bolted to the lower frame with the L pointing up and to the inside of the roof frame. Maybe this picture would help. It would shift your fabric up just a smidge but I think your struts can be adjusted to take up that slack. Hopefully that makes sense.
I use a lot of 10 series 80/20 at work and love the stuff.

Took the camper out for a 400 mile drive, was suppose to use it but all the recent rain spoiled my hiking plans(last picture). I kinda cheated and added some straps just to make me feel better. Also driving around 25 miles on a dirt road without a rear lid was a bad Idea haha. Had some fun in the snow and helped a tundra out that got stuck.

Attachments

• 20190316_122824.jpg
    20190316_122824.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 158
  • 20190316_105437.jpg
    20190316_105437.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 166
  • 20190316_113813.jpg
    20190316_113813.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 171
  • 20190316_183516.jpg
    20190316_183516.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_20190317-062257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-062257_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144

Alta22

Awesome build! Did you do any cross members or stringers for the floor of the sleeping area? Are you getting any bending or flex with the extruded aluminum in the forward sleeping section?

Last edited:
I know I've been terrible about updating this but I got my hatch all done up a few weeks ago. I made a quick and dirty rotopax mount before a 4 night 1800 mile road trip.

Last edited:
Awesome build! Did you do any cross members or stringers for the floor of the sleeping area? Are you getting any bending or flex with the extruded aluminum in the forward sleeping section?

Thanks, I ended up adding some steel cross members to the over bed portion since i was getting a good bit of flexing from just support the 3/4" plywood on the sides. Probably wouldn't of needed to do that if i left it a single 40" x 50" piece.

I don't really have anyone to help me check the bending on the overcab portion unless i feel like setting up a go pro and dial indicator. I suspect i have very little if any when just sleeping in the camper. The overcab portion really just supports your legs and its hard to put any weight there due to the wedge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears