custom camper examples

trackhead

Adventurer
Looks great - I’d love to see more photos and maybe a little more info about the build … please :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a 7.5x8’ box on a DIY flatbed. Camper is hard side pop up 2” and 1” XPS laminated fiberglass/epoxy. Camper plus flatbed only weighs 500lbs more than stock truck and is 2,000lbs under GVWR. Three beds, shower, toilet, stove, sink, diesel heater. Electric actuators lift top 22” for 6’4” standing height.

It looks DIY, and I don’t care if it scraped across trees or gets banged up.

WanderingBison

Just a 7.5x8’ box on a DIY flatbed. Camper is hard side pop up 2” and 1” XPS laminated fiberglass/epoxy. Camper plus flatbed only weighs 500lbs more than stock truck and is 2,000lbs under GVWR. Three beds, shower, toilet, stove, sink, diesel heater. Electric actuators lift top 22” for 6’4” standing height.

Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ober27

Adventurer

Where can we see more photos?
I'd love to see both inside and out!

ober27

Adventurer
It's at the bottom of every post, in blue. "DIY hardside pop-up build."

If you do a search for his threads, you'll get more info.
Thanks for your help. The link takes me to his short YouTube video, I'll continue searching for a link. No links show up in any of his posts that I can find, I'm on my phone, maybe I need to check on the home computer when I get a chance.

DzlToy

Explorer
I do not see any links at the bottom of any posts. So, ober27 isn't the only one. When I click on the video link ruff posted, I see a message that says, "Your browser cannot play this video."

Man, I love technology. ;-)

trackhead

Adventurer
Where can we see more photos?
I'd love to see both inside and out!

Older pics before bathroom was done and the seal between upper/lower done. Pretty basic 1" and 2" XPS foam with a very light skin of fiberglass/epoxy. Electric actuators raise top. 22" for 6'5" height. Diesel heater, 12v fridge, shower, 25g water, no grey/black tank. Two 24" wide beds plus bunk that raises out of way during day use. Sleeps 3 (my family size) but we routinely stuff 6-8 in it in the mornings/evenings and hang out when it's cold for tent campers. I also built the flat bed.

Total weight over base vehicle stock weight is only 500lbs, including flatbed, so I'm rolling down the road somewhere just over 7,000lbs and 2,000 under GVW. No weight up high, no high CG, handles like nothing is on it.

It's DIY and not super aesthetic, but I don't hold those details too tight. I built in in six months while going through six mos of chemo for lymphoma, so yeah, that was a factor, too.

Bathroom wasn't complete here, nor were upper/lower seals.
IMG_8291.jpeg

Seating for 8, this happens a lot. Bunk bed day position above, lowers down for sleep.
IMG_8752.jpeg

Initially had DIY windows (budget) that have now been replaced with production windows.
IMG_9545.jpeg

Popped up. We've done tons of ski trips, it stays very warm with diesel heat. Simple plumbing lines are passively heated.
IMG_9530.jpeg

The Artisan

Adventurer
Older pics before bathroom was done and the seal between upper/lower done. Pretty basic 1" and 2" XPS foam with a very light skin of fiberglass/epoxy. Electric actuators raise top. 22" for 6'5" height. Diesel heater, 12v fridge, shower, 25g water, no grey/black tank. Two 24" wide beds plus bunk that raises out of way during day use. Sleeps 3 (my family size) but we routinely stuff 6-8 in it in the mornings/evenings and hang out when it's cold for tent campers. I also built the flat bed.

Total weight over base vehicle stock weight is only 500lbs, including flatbed, so I'm rolling down the road somewhere just over 7,000lbs and 2,000 under GVW. No weight up high, no high CG, handles like nothing is on it.

It's DIY and not super aesthetic, but I don't hold those details too tight. I built in in six months while going through six mos of chemo for lymphoma, so yeah, that was a factor, too.

View attachment 807465

Seating for 8, this happens a lot. Bunk bed day position above, lowers down for sleep.
View attachment 807466

Initially had DIY windows (budget) that have now been replaced with production windows.
View attachment 807467

Popped up. We've done tons of ski trips, it stays very warm with diesel heat. Simple plumbing lines are passively heated.
View attachment 807468
nice build, does the fridge slide out?
Kevin

ober27

Adventurer

View attachment 807465

View attachment 807466

View attachment 807467

View attachment 807468
I love it!
I hope you've made a full recovery so you can fully enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Does it live on the truck full time, or can you remove it?

trackhead

Adventurer
I love it!
I hope you've made a full recovery so you can fully enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Does it live on the truck full time, or can you remove it?

Almost a year out of chemo, full remission with great prognosis. Minimal side effects, still cycling, skiing, hiking, athletic. Some nuances to health, but alive and enjoying life with family.

Lives on the truck. That way you use it more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior