Custom Outlander Sherpa II RL

WFTW

Adventurer
Last year I asked about tire sizes for a trailer and have been updating that thread on occasion, but the title of the thread really didn't cover the topic of the thread any longer. So, I thought I'd just start a new thread about the build of the trailer.

I've been in touch regularly over the past six months with Robert Shepherd of Outlander Trailers (in Arkansas), who's building my trailer. Robert has much more knowledge about this sort of thing than I do, so I'll paraphrase what he's told me thus far.

The main frame is completed (pictures below). The axle will arrive towards the end of next week and once that is mounted he can design and fabricate the fender frames and fenders. The photos show why the frame is so strong. Aside from it being made from tube steel (which as 2.5 times the resistance to torsional rotation as angle or channel), every joint has a 100% weld. The main frame and rack form a box beam structure, which just does not flex. This translates to reduced metal fatigue, which in turn means longer frame life. The fender support frames will also be tube steel welded into the main frame...that is what makes them load bearing.

Robert is hoping all the electrical components ordered will arrive by the middle of next week. He'll be mounting LED flood lights below the awning that rises and lowers with the awning frame. This will give me working light for cooking at night. He'll also be placing an LED strip light in the main cargo box and in the fender mount cargo boxes. The tent will also have an LED strip light mounted on the support bows right over my head when I'm lying down...aside from lighting the tent, the location makes a great reading light.

There is room on the rack in front of the tent for two 20w solar panels for a 40w total. The solar panels are essential for when the trailer is disconnected from the Jeep for extended periods of time. I'll be able to charge the batteries from the vehicle's alternator through a separator that will isolate the trailer batteries from the vehicle's batteries and regulate the charge. In addition, I'll be able to charge it with the generator through a fully automatic marine charger mounted in the electrical compartment.

Robert will be mounting a 300w true sine wave inverter that will be safe to use with sensitive electronics, such as computers. The inverter also has a USB port for charging items that only charge through USB (cell phones, video cameras, etc). The fourth photo below is of the electrical system on the trailer Robert uses. Mine will be somewhat different. Since Robert's trailer doesn't have solar panels yet, my system will also have a solar charge controller mounted along with the other controls.

Anyhow, that's all for now...more to follow once the axle arrives and the build moves forward.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

Aggie

Adventurer
Hey that's my trailer that he is building in the background!

CB008.jpg

I guess I will go start my own thread entitled "How to get Robert to build a Great Trailer on my Wife's Budget" :D

EDIT: I will see this trailer in person in April for ya'lls event down here in Texas that two of my clubs are co-hosting. I will want to take a look at that electrical system.

Last edited:

WFTW

Adventurer
Heeeey...why is your trailer more completed than mine? I'll have to talk to Robert about that. hahahaha j/k! :D

Hope you'll bring your trailer to the WFTW TX events. You can put your camp next to mine and we can drool over each other's set-up. hahaha

Aggie

Adventurer
I actually got to visit with Mel from Moombasa a couple of weeks ago and look at the Tent you are getting, I really like the new material he is making them out of. I have one of his tents also but it is about a year and a half old, that I will be mounting on my Trailer. That is a great tent you are getting, and I am big supporter of ya'll's cause (WFTW).

Looking forward to April, now I will stop hijacking your thread...

WFTW

Adventurer
No problem for the hijack. Mombasa signed on as a sponsor a few days ago and I'm thrilled that I'll be calling their tent "home" for half a year. I've heard about their new tent and am real excited to try it out. What's cool is that my tent will have heat and air conditioning. :D

Thanks for supporting the WFTW program. When I first started it, there were MANY people who were skeptical and didn't think it could be done...they were wrong. We have some incredible events lined up for our country's wounded service members. The TX event at Barnwell is going to be insane. Four days long with a block party, fishing, off-roading, and tons of food. We're expecting around 1000 people at that event alone.

The Virginia event will have between 5000 and 10000 people there.

At the Rubicon event we have gotten permission to camp on a closed section of the trail next to a lake. We'll head out daily from there for trail rides and all the food is taken care off.

I'm amazed at all the things lined up at the various events and it's sure to be six months of fun and excitement. :D

WFTW

Adventurer
I heard from Robert (Outlander Trailers) today. The axle has arrived and the trailer will be rolling this weekend. :wings:

He sent me two pictures of what the main storage compartment looks like from the inside (this is not my actual trailer, but his personal one...mine will be the same though).

The first picture is of the rear (back half) portion and the second picture is of the compartment fully loaded. There's a LOT of space in there! At first glance I wondered if I'd be able to fill it up completely, but with the trip being 6 months long, it's nice to know I'll have all the space I'll need.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Box Rocket

Very nice. So I've been thinking about storage containers and one option has been the Rubbermaid Action Packers like are shown there. One downside that to the AP's is the tapered box (smaller at the bottom than the top) resulting in wasted space between boxes when stacked. So I've been looking for other options with more vertical sides that will still stack well but don't give up as much empty space between boxes.

I stumbled onto these made by Solent Plastics in the UK. They suffer from the same drawback as the AP's in that they have a thick framework around the top of the box compared to the bottom dimensions but in looking how they stack, the more "square" overall shape seems to still lose less packing space. Look like sturdy boxes.

Alc_grp1.jpg

WFTW

Adventurer
Box Rocket...those look nice and they probably stack pretty well. I won't need waterproof containers or anything fancy, so I'll most likely run down to Wal-Mart to see what they've got. The black boxes (pictured above) can be found at Wal-Mart, so I may go with those. I won't know for sure until I have the trailer and can see how much space I have in there and then take a look at what exactly I have to put inside. Seeing it in pictures is one thing but in person it's a bit different and you can get a better feel for how much room is available.

WFTW

Adventurer
True to his word, Robert (Outlander Trailers) got the trailer up on the tires this weekend (see photos below). Due to the 4400 pound axle not having the parking brake option, he put in a 5200 pound axle. This will also give me 12x2 brakes rather than 10x2, which helps due to the weight of the tires. The parking brake cable system and shocks should arrive this week.

Now that the tires are on, this week he will fabricate the fenders and fender frames. He will also work out the sizes for all the boxes, which will be mounted on the outsides of the trailer.

Hopefully it will go to paint and powder coating one week from tomorrow. After that it will be down to assembly and systems installation (no small task with all the systems planned for this trailer).

Some of you may remember me mentioning my tent will have heat and air conditioning. Due to traveling through the south between April and June, I felt this would be a nice addition and got my hands on a small heat and a/c unit which will be supplied via the Honda generator I picked up (a great little unit that is known for its reliability and low noise output). Robert is going to hard plumb the duct work on the unit instead of using the flex duct supplied with the unit. The supply and return ducts will enter through the floor of the tent and will have risers that are removable. For air conditioning I will have a high return riser to draw the hot air in the top of the tent out and the supply riser will be about one foot high. For heat, I will use the same supply riser but the return riser will only be about six inches high to draw out the cool air settling to the bottom of the tent. The supply riser will have an elbow to allow me to direct air flow where I want it. All risers can stay in the tent when folded.

The Mombasa roof-top tent has a two inch thick mattress. While Robert has supplemented the mattress in his roof-top tent with a Therma-Rest or 1 1/2" thick memory foam topper, he believes I will be able to do without that. I will check it out when I to a test set-up back in Florida and see...shouldn't be a problem.

Here's the frame sitting on 40" meats. The wheels are 17" Centerline I.C.E. bead locks. They're 3-piece wheels which don't require constant maintenance like other bead locks and to my knowledge are the only D.O.T. approved bead locks on the market.

WFTW004.jpg

WFTW005.jpg

WFTW006.jpg

That second picture cracks me up! You can see the trailer in relation to the door and window...it's quite large to say the least. I'm VERY excited about this build and Robert shares my enthusiasm.

Prior to joining this forum, I hadn't the first clue about expedition traveling. My initial plans were to travel for 6 months with just the Jeep and an RTT mounted up top. The information in this forum and all the fantastic build threads helped me to see the bigger picture. Not only will I have a capable off-road vehicle, but with the addition of the trailer, I will be able to live comfortably for extended periods of time out in the bush/desert/wherever civilization isn't. I know I don't have a super-high post count because I have spent the majority of the past year putting together the WFTW program and it keeps me quite busy. But I do want to let you all know that I read many of the threads here and they've been extremely helpful, so thanks. :)

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Jason,
Looks very very promising; I bet you're drooling.

Two tips:
1) it's a big help if your little cargo boxes are sturdy enough to sit on. At least a couple of them anyhow. Makes it easier to use as an impromptu table or a place to sit down and put on your shoes...
2) get the thicker mattress. You'll find the hot-spots on your body quickly with only 2" of foam. 6 months is a long roadtrip.

WFTW

Adventurer
At first I thought you were talking about the cargo boxes mounted on the trailer and tried to picture myself trying to get high enough to sit on one of them. :coffeedrink: I'll ensure the cargo boxes I buy for the interior storage will be strong. If nothing else, I want them to last. The ones Robert is using look tough, so I'll sit on those in the store and see if they can handle the 150 pounds I bring to the table. :D

Thanks for the tip about the extra thickness in the mattress. You're right...6 months of camping will most likely take its toll on my body. I've slept on worse in Iraq, but why "rough it." :) Once I get the trailer I'll check out some other items to add some more plushness to the mattress that comes with it.

Oh, and you're right about the drooling. :drool:

Last edited:

Aggie

Adventurer
I have been sleeping in a Mombasa Roof Top Tent for the past year and a half while camping and he is right, the two inches of foam don't quite do it. I always take a long my Thermarest and throw it down in there too if I want to sleep in total comfort. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears