Custom Roof Storage

zach123

Trying to finalize the storage for my van [medium roof, long wheel base (not extended) Quigley Ford Transit passenger wagon].

I'm happy with the inside storage, but I don't really have a place for bulky, dirty, or dangerous items. I don't mind keeping 1lb propane tanks inside, but would like to keep a 10lb tank on the outside. Also not much space for baby backpack, snowshoes, etc. Finally would like to keep trash and recycling outside.

IMG_20200201_103918916.jpg

The roof has solar, vent, and cross bars so odd shapes to work around.
On each side next to the fan I've got about 42"x24" to work with. My initial plan was to run aluminum rails under the cross bars and place a diamond plate tool box on top.
Closest to size I could find was 36"x20"x13". Almost pulled the trigger, but mocked it up with cardboard and is higher than I'd like. Ideal size would be 40"x22"x10".

Current plan is to build a pair of boxes. I'm not set up to weld aluminum and I think 16ga steel would be too heavy.
So...I'll use 1/2" steel angle to make a frame and use VHB to attached aluminum diamond plate.

I'd go with a custom made box, but they look to be in the $600+ range for that size.

Any suggestions for construction? Does the VHB need to be sealed?

IMG_20200411_161230153.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
What would be the method of access? Would a sliding tray or drawer be useful? That roof is already pretty high. It also seems like a lot to keep putting things up there with all the volume you should have in that thing.
I think you might go a bit bigger than 1/2" angle iron and consider using aluminum for your construction.
My rooftop solar frame build might spawn some ideas, it starts roughly here - https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...-werks-topic-02-k1500-z71.172800/post-2536586

Is there some form of rear door storage you might consider? Would be a bit easier than risking a ladder for the sake of the garbage.

/semi-random thoughts

zach123

What would be the method of access? Would a sliding tray or drawer be useful?

I was thinking super simple. Just a box with a lid. I think sliding tray/drawer would be heavier and harder to keep waterproof.

THIS is what I had planned on using, but about 3" taller than I'd like. It is the closest to needed size I've found.

That roof is already pretty high. It also seems like a lot to keep putting things up there with all the volume you should have in that thing.

For sure! That is my concern with anything tall (or big). Though folks put rocket boxes up top pretty often and I'm hoping to be well under that in volume and height, though probably not weight.

I think you might go a bit bigger than 1/2" angle iron and consider using aluminum for your construction.

I think the 1/2" angle would work if I use aluminum siding since the strength would come from the siding.
I figure most tool chests have no framing at all, just the diamond plate.

Is there some form of rear door storage you might consider? Would be a bit easier than risking a ladder for the sake of the garbage.

There are a few options out there that are pretty slick. Only problem is getting storage on both doors might cost close to $3K.

I'm still searching for an off the shelf or custom option. I don't mind making something, but just had a baby (number 2) so won't have much time for a while.
Custom options would be perfect, just really pricey.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Do you need a hard lid for this storage? Or would a basket with a dry-bag suffice?

I ask because your 42"x24" spaces are close to the dimensions of a Harbor Freight aluminum cargo hitch basket. I use one of these as a roof basket by deleting the hitch components and fastening it to my crossbars:
IMG_20190825_134425.jpg

If it's too long (47"), you could easily re-size it with 5 hacksaw cuts and re-fastening the corner blocks with sheetmetal screws or pop-rivets. I paid like $65 with a coupon for mine.

The other nice thing about cargo baskets is that a standard dry-bag will drop right in to give you waterproof storage:
71K5Uz8hb1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

zach123

Do you need a hard lid for this storage? Or would a basket with a dry-bag suffice?

I'm mostly weary of soft side since can't leave anything that has touched food for very long.
The squirrels around here routinely chew through the plastic on my trash bins, so I think they'd make short work of a dry bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior