Observer
View attachment 292763
IMG_20130326_130301.jpg
IMG_7350.jpg
IMG_7353.jpg
IMG_7356.jpg
IMG_7360.jpg
IMG_7362.jpg

Build thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/offroad-popup-camper-build.354638/
See the camper in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07beyDdg54

For sale is the most capable offroad popup camper in the world!

This camper began life as a 1980 Palomino Shetland S3. I purchased and began the build in 2010. Original parts include the heavy canvas, sink basin, and the dinette table. Everything else is new (frame, suspension, box, cabinetry, lift system, axle, plumbing, electrical, etc.). This thing isn't built like your typical RV/camper with overpriced fall apart junk. It is built to last and conquer any terrain.

Specs:
-frame is 2"x3"x3/8" box steel.
-Lock'n Roll multiaxis trailer hitch
-7,000lb sealed hub trailer axle
-33"x12.50" tires with fullsize spare
-35 gallon fresh water tank
-sleeps 5 (two dbl beds and a twin)
-12vdc on demand water pump
-20lb propane tank
-instant water heater that supplies both the outdoor shower shelter and the indoor sink
-mop faucet that is hose compatible
-two burner stove
-roof vent with 12vdc fan
-memory foam mattresses & cushions with microfiber custom covers
-LED interior and exterior lights
-12VDC Interstate RV battery less than 1 year old
-outdoor popup shower shelter
-12vdc interior outlet
-custom cabinets with suprising amount of interior dry storage
-expanded metal on the tongue for wet storage
-2" receiver hitch on rear of camper for racks, etc.
-forced air furnace with fan controlled smart ignition board and digital thermostat (maintains temp within 2 degrees)
-12vdc CO/explosive gas detector
-Blue Marine fuse block

This camper will go anywhere your tow vehicle can go. It's maiden voyage was to the Maze District of Canyonlands NP. If you want to get into the backcountry or just go boondocking in comfort, this is the camper for you!

Camper weighs ~2,400 lbs with water, camping gear, and bike rack with four bikes (fully loaded).

This camper is just as offroad capable as an Adventure Trailer at a more affordable price with more capacities and WAY MORE comfort!

Asking $9,500 OBO

Bolojohn

Questions

Fascinating build what are the chances of getting some photographs of the exterior as set up for camping?

Last edited:

Atoyot1031

Observer
Yup, I'm just outside Aspen, CO.

Here's a couple pics setup

IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0730.jpg

Lemm eknow if you would like to see anything else. I've had this sweet camper everywhere!

Atoyot1031

Observer
Does this camper have a heating and cooling system?

Forced air furnace with digital thermostat. No cooling, but I use the roof vent/fan and open the windows if it's hot. It also has two oscillating 12v fans for the interior. I considered installing a 5000btu window AC unit, but never did as we normally camp at high altitude (8,000'+) during the summer.

Atoyot1031

Observer
Forced air furnace with digital thermostat. No cooling, but I use the roof vent/fan and open the windows if it's hot. It also has two oscillating 12v fans for the interior. I considered installing a 5000btu window AC unit, but never did as we normally camp at high altitude (8,000'+) during the summer.

FYI, the furnace also has a fan controlling ignition board. So if the furnace fails to light (no propane, battery too low, etc), it will lockout the fan and keep it from blowing cold air and killing your battery. These control boards are not standard on RV/camper furnaces, but they are lifesavers for cold nights. They cost ~$150, but are easy retrofits.

Atoyot1031

Observer
The camper has a forced air furnace run by a digital thermostat (maintains a 2 degree deadband). I also installed a ignition control board that controls the furnace fan (most do not). That way if you have 3 consecutive ignition failures, the fan will turn off rather than blowing cold air and completely killing your battery.

There is no AC. Although it does have a roof vent and a couple oscillating 12v fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle