Customize or fab a replacement kayak seat

FettsWay

Adventurer
I have a couple of kayaks and am looking at buying another. I have found a kayak I am very interested in, like everything about the kayak except the seat. The back support is not enough and is too small, the rest of the seat is not that great either. But I think I can modify the back rest and make it bigger.

I am looking for advice from others that might have modified their kayak seats. Obviously different kayaks have differt possible ways to modify. Just looking to hear any feedback someone might have.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Don't know what kind of kayak you have. You might want to check out Yostwerks, he shares some good information on building and modifying folding and inflatable kayaks. The concepts and ideas may help you build in a little more comfort. http://www.yostwerks.com

Treenail

Adventurer
Plastic or glass?

Sit on top or inside?

Touring/whitwater/fishing?

My three are inside, two plastic one glass. The glass one has a molded seat and a small backrest that is similar to what sit on tops use. It has adjustable straps and it's quite comfy.

If you have two that are comfy can you just emulate them?

Plastic can be welded but I don't think that I would trust that in a boat that I needed to depend on for whitewater or multiday trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears