D.O.A - 89 Chevy Ambo Build

zuke

Adventurer
Maybe build a Trim of 1x1's around hole with register over that. Should be space out enough for fancs then. Heck a lot cheaper/easier than cutting into roof and installing an RVvent and fan.

Maybe, I'd have to move the couch out too though, Right now it has about 1/4" Clearance to the wall :)

The outside vent is actually about 2 Feet up from where the register is (Silver vent in this picture);

14706867_10206937654471588_6795553150785202321_o.jpg

So I could put a pretty decent sized fan in behind the vent, rather than behind the register...

Just had another idea too since you got me thinking about it, That Red light beside the vent is now blacked out, and opens into the wall as well, I could put a pretty big fan in there!

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
John, did your's have the installed exhaust system in it to start with?

Mine, like most, had a Perko intake vent on the right side front corner, which allowed fresh air in via a flex hose and a round 3" interior vent that could be closed. There was an exhaust system located in the left rear corner compartment up high, that consisted of a stainless intake vent that could be opened or closed, a 3" inline 12VDC blower unit, and then out to an external Perko vent located on the left rear corner up high on the back wall.

Exterior intake vent on right front side...

HPIM1441.JPG

Interior 3" round intake vent next to walk in door hinge...

IMAG0171 - enhanced.jpg

Interior exhaust vent on left rear corner, with exhaust blower inside compartment...

IMAG0197.jpg

Exterior exhaust vent on left rear of rear wall...

IMAG0599 - cropped.jpg

The idea is, if you have a patient who smells bad (yes, it happens) or may be contaminated with some substance, you can run the exhaust system to bring in fresh air across the patient, and exhaust it out the rear of the unit. This exhaust system is preferable to opening windows, because it controls the amount of road dust that enters the patient module, and the amount of heat or A/C that is lost. It also allows operation while preventing rain from entering via the windows if they were used. Most new ambulances don't even come with windows that can be opened, in favor of a controlled atmosphere.

Since I don't want to cut a 14" square hole in my roof, which I don't have room for inside anyway, my plan is to use this exhaust system concept with a much larger volume exhaust fan, and plumb it to the overhead 6"- 8" space between my ceiling and roof. I have three 10" openings over the crew bench that had lights in them. I won't be using these once I install LEDs, so I'll convert at least one of those, which will probably be the center one, to an intake vent. I can also add additional intake vents if need be.

For exterior intake air supply I can just open the windows, which will be under awnings when I'm set up (trailer remember), or I may add a larger exterior intake vent somewhere down lower, that can be shielded from the rain and closed when moving.

Just some ideas for the filing cabinets of your brain!

Last edited:

zuke

Adventurer
It likely had something like that when it started, Pat, But when I got it, there was a board with two burned out muffin fans, and a light switch in the hole where I put the register... There is a metal vent for intake near the floor along the driver's side, and another metal intake hood in the front, but the one on the front goes into the propane (Former Oxygen) Cabinet, so I doubt it was part of such a ventilation system... Other than that one though, I don't see any vent towards the front...

patoz

Expedition Leader
If you had a system like mine, you should also have a switch on the rear panel near the attendant's seat, marked 'Fan' or 'Exhaust Fan' to control it. That also would mean there would be a switched 12VDC supply cable/wires inside that hole somewhere, if you haven't already found it.

zuke

Adventurer
Must not have had the ventilation system originally then, but the rescue company that had the Ambo must have tried to mimic one like that. There was 12V in the wall, but it definitely wasn't put there by the manufacturer, It was 4 wire stranded copper (Think Cat 1 or 2 Network cable), and hot anytime the master for the module was on. It went to a literal 110v Light switch that switched the fans on. I don't have trhe Ambo at the house right now, but I'll be at the shop tomorrow, and take some pics of the stuff that was in there when I got it...

patoz

Expedition Leader
Wow, that's scary!

Anytime I find things like that, I start looking for more just in case. If they used network cable to power a fan, and a 120VAC 15A light switch in the circuit also, they are probably not qualified to install batteries in a flashlight, or screw in a light bulb!

zuke

Adventurer
Yeah, I Did start looking for other stuff immediately when I saw that and did find some other scary mods, but the fan wiring was the most egregious. But there were things like the speakers in the back being wired in a common chassis ground setup, The Audiovox AM/FM cassette that was falling out of the dash, and the atrocious wiring that was done to put more modern strobing units on the lights. Oh, and let's not talk about all the tail lights, that had six billion butt connectors and only orange wire going to everything!

The only thing left that I question and haven't been brave enough to check yet is the two fluorescent strip lights in the module that are hooked to an unmarked switch on the attendants panel, but at least the wiring going to the switch is proper gauge and colors...

patoz

Expedition Leader
Was that being used as an ambulance before you got it, or did it have a previous private owner before you?

zuke

Adventurer
Was that being used as an ambulance before you got it, or did it have a previous private owner before you?

No previous private owner, I purchased it directly from a rural Volunteer Rescue Squad that owned it since new... But they did alot of their own 'modifications' I believe... It had been retired over a year before I bought it.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Well, you know how Firefighters are, they know just enough about everything to be dangerous!

Oh, wait! I was a Volunteer for 20 years, as well as a Professional for 30 years. I guess I better keep quiet... :ugh:

zuke

Adventurer
The 'Ventilation System' that was in the hole;

20170203_151148.jpg

20170203_151139.jpg

And the system I was gong to replace it with, that I couldn't fit in the wall;

20170203_151124.jpg

I might still try putting that squirrel cage directly behind the perko vent, but those inline fans Pat linked look like an even better idea if I can fnd the room for one or two.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I might still try putting that squirrel cage directly behind the perko vent, but those inline fans Pat linked look like an even better idea if I can fnd the room for one or two.

The one I linked to is like mine, but is a very cheap quality one, and is pretty noisy also. If you go that route, I would suggest you do some research on the various models of them, and pick one that is as quiet as possible and has a pretty low Amp draw, especially if you plan on using it in a off-grid camping situation.

zuke

Adventurer
Got All my various Jeep projects together before going wheeling tomorrow and breaking them again, so I had a bit of time for a side project on DOA, So I installed a backup camera today...

20170219_201323.jpg

20170219_201336.jpg

Went to my wiring cabinet and found wire "87" which is a switch providing ground through the backup alarm (no longer installed) switch in the cab, I pulled power for the camera off the bus bar in the cabinet, and ground through the switch, so I can turn the camera on and off using the switch, rather than wiring to the backup light, this way I can monitor my load on the trailer with it as well..

20161018_174245.jpg

20170219_201358.jpg

zuke

Adventurer
Put an awning on DOA Sunday;

file.php

file.php

It's a bag awning I picked up off Craigslist for $50, It has a screen room that goes on it, But I didn't play with that yet. This is the kitchen side, so I wanted a full 12' awning on this side, I plan on putting a smaller awning on the other side for the "porch" area...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman